GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The 'cool' image"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/02/02 at 17:55
Regular
Okay people, tell me this: What is 'hip' and 'trendy'?

Is it:
a) Tucking your trousers into your socks 'cause you're a complete towny rem
b) Walking around saying 'bo', 'in da crib' and 'homies'
c) Wearing ridiculously priced clothes that make you look like Michael Jackson at the weekend
d) Buying the latest 'F*** F*** F***idy F***' album and make yourself look like a cool person going round swearing?

Oh, dear lord no. Although these are what people do to try and act 'cool'. So, what's cool in gaming? Army Men? Hell no! Its a great big pile of crap. But so is what these 'cool' people do and wear. So we're faced with a dilemma here. What IS a cool game?

That's easy to answer. Fast, beautiful (like me, I must say) and sexy. That's cool. But is, say, a train cool? Thats fast, beautiful and ermmm... forget it.

'Cool' is back in games, and it is ever so apparent in the line up of future consoles. Back in that golden SNES era, playing Mario was not cool. Chrono Trigger was not 'with-it' and our 'homies' certainly weren't video games. But what about now? Video-gaming is incredibly widespread. Almost every PS2-owning person in my school has GTA3, and even people without talk about it 24/7. GTA3 therefore, is cool. Or is it? It doesn't look gay, swear all the time and act 'hard' (okay, the last one is an exception), but by hell its popular! SSX Tricky is the gaming version of 'cool', as is Sonic, but they don't make a fool out of themselves.

What I'm actually trying to get at here, is that gaming is a lot more popular nowadays, and gamers are no longer squares. GT, and GTA 3 are considered gaming legends, unlike what Mario and Chrono trigger were back in those days. With the rise in gaming, it has become undeniably cool, and as a result, OUR GAMES SUFFER (noooooo...)

The GameCube is not considered cool. It is thought of as a 'gay' and 'crap' console, because it has got 'loads of kiddy games', contrary to reality. The Xbox and PS2 are considered 'cool' consoles. But the thing is, the GameCube, in my view, is the only console actually concerned with making fun and immersive games. The PS2 and Xbox are going for reality, which is not necessarily fun at all. So, in a sense, cool consoles are like 'cool' people in real life - total jackasses.

That may be taking things a bit seriously, games such as SSX Tricky and Jak and Daxter, Halo and Munch's Odysee are fun to play, but games like GT 3 and Project Gotham just get on my t**. Realism isn't fun; it replicates our boring monotonous lives, and put bluntly, what's the point? Flash graphics can't hide utter crud, and no matter how 'cool' it may seem, it still is really boring.

So the solution? Get a GameCube. This probably sounds like an ad for it, but to rate games by a fun-factor would yeild GameCube with much higher scores than other consoles, especially the 'life-like' *snigger* PS2. Xbox could be good, but the PS2 is a one track mind.

As a closing note, don't dispute the PS2 thing, because we each have our own opinions about things. This is mine, and the PS2 is 'cool', which does mean that people will tag along to it, but those intelligent people who can see beyond that blue glowing aura should stay way clear. A great mind once said...

"Judge consoles by what they have to offer, not what they seem to lack"

And the PS2 has only this to offer - 'image'. And that's it.
Wed 27/02/02 at 18:45
Regular
"Bah"
turbonuter so easily proves his point. Theonly thing the xbox has to offer is halo (or using the controlers as bus seats) nd the only game i like the look of on the GC is Smash Bros malee.
Wed 27/02/02 at 18:34
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
½pint wrote:
> Taken to the extreme, okay. :-(. So it may have some good
> games, and a second rate DVD player, but what would make you want a PS2 over a
> GameCube or Xbox?

Once again, your extreme bias and narrow-mindedness makes you look like a fool, and quite frankly, a Ninty.

*Deep breath*

GTA3
WipEout Fusion
Gran Turismo 3
MGS2
FFX
The Getaway
Dropship
Airblade
Starfighter
Rez
Herdy Gerdy
Red Faction
Slent Hill 2 (over GC)
Fur Fighters
Devil May Cry
Jak and Daxter
James Bond: AUF
Pro Evo Soccer
Smuggler's Run (and 2?)
TimeSplitters (and 2)
Zone of the Enders
ICO
Conflict Zone
Virtua Fighter 4
Tekken 4
Stuntman
TOCA Race Driver
V-Rally 3
Collin McRae 3

Oh yeah, hardly anything at all...
Wed 27/02/02 at 18:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I really would like to know why you were in a fit because someone was trying to convince someone else the PS2 is better. What if it is? No one can tell, but the majority of PS2 owners think the PS2 is better than the GC and vice versa - they are both correct statements.

As for "technologically advanced", that's a big can of worms, but TECHNOLOGICALLY, they're both the same. The GC has bigger CPU, more (or less) RAM (VRAM), etc..., but the PS2 is techologically revolutionary, a minor miracle in gaming hardware. Don't believe me? Read some proper, really in-depth articles on the PS2's and GC's internal designs.
Wed 27/02/02 at 16:39
Regular
"¬_¬"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> ½pint wrote:
> And the PS2 has only this to offer - 'image'. And
> that's
it.

I understand what you're saying in the entire post, but to
> close with a line like that is asking for trouble!

To suggest that 'coolness'
> or 'image' is the only thing PS2 has to offer is ludicrous.

Taken to the extreme, okay. :-(. So it may have some good games, and a second rate DVD player, but what would make you want a PS2 over a GameCube or Xbox?
Wed 27/02/02 at 16:24
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Somebody said something about this a while ago...

Think it was Venom:

" Some people try so hard to be cool they become cold "

Best thing he ever said if it was him :)
Wed 27/02/02 at 16:22
"High polygon count"
½pint wrote:
> And the PS2 has only this to offer - 'image'. And that's
it.

I understand what you're saying in the entire post, but to close with a line like that is asking for trouble!

To suggest that 'coolness' or 'image' is the only thing PS2 has to offer is ludicrous.
Wed 27/02/02 at 16:16
Regular
"¬_¬"
Turbonutter wrote:
> You think the only people who have PS2s are stupid people who think they're
> cool?

1/2pint, I once had a small amount of respect for you (because some
> other people seemed to like you), but I've just totally lost it for yourself.
> I'm not "cool" in any way at all, yet I had a PlayStation and I have a
> PS2. The reason why I got my PSone in the first place was because it had Ridge
> Racer, WipEout and a load of other games that Sega didn't. Sure, Sonic tempted
> me but I could see the PSone was better. Nintendo weren't even around at this
> point.

With my PS2 I just followed the trend, as you do, PS1 -> PS2. Hell,
> I don;t even own any "cool" games, like Pro Evo or Tekken.

Sure,
> some people get PS2s because they're cool but It's nowhere near "all"
> or "most".

So you say I should get a GameCube to save myself? What
> if I like my PS2? I have 19 games, they're all really, REALLY good (for me) and
> I've only completed 2 of them. To get a GameCube woud be a waste of money and
> time.

---------

And neither did I say that only stupid people have PS2s. I'm saying that a lot of people who either don't know what to get, or are at an indecision will go for the PS2 merely because it looks 'cool'. I'm not dissing those people who have a brain, just those who'll go for the PS2 on image alone. The PS2 games are fine and dandy in the majority, but it angers me the way Sony casual gamers just rip, rip, rip on other consoles because they aren't cool. I nearly died in a laughing fit on the bus the other day because one such Sony fan was trying to convince a potential console-buying person that the PS2 was better. He even said it was more technologically advanced. And he also stated that the Xbox isn't cool because its big, and the GameCube isn't cool because its purple and for little kids. These comments are neither true, nor justified, and that really gets on my t**. I'm sorry if I offended you, but you just seem to have gotten the wrong idea.
Wed 27/02/02 at 09:17
Regular
"not dead"
Personally I don't think that being 'cool' is necessarily a bad thing for the PS2, after all, it's an image that has helped ship millions of consoles.

The games are no more or less geeky than othger games, but that's notimportant, it's the image that is.

It's sad that some people will dismiss the Gamecube for the wrong reasons, and miss out on some fun games, but there are also people out there that won't find the Gamecube games appealing.

Image helped sell the Playstation, but if it wasn't for some decent games, it wouldn't have been able to survive on this alone.

The PS2 was a little different, being a 2nd attempt, and it had a little more time to get those decent titles. It sold on the reputation of it's predecessor, and as such was given time to get good games. (And you all know that it took a good 6 months before anything really next-gen emerged)

Basically, reputation means more than image. The Xbox will sell because of Microsofts reputation, more than any image factor. It has an 'ethernet' port for Christ's sake, advertise this, and it's pure geek! (I know what I'm talking about here by the way, CCNA, calling it an ethernet port was a geeky thing to do)

However Microsoft have no reputation for consoles, so if the second wave of games don't please, I doubt gamers will stick around for long.

Also, I don't necessarily think that ALL realistic games are bad. Racers I'm not a fan of, but sometimesa touch of realism in a game can be nice.
Wed 27/02/02 at 08:15
As, I like to say many times on these forums: I'm not a trendy a'sehole. So, why do kids do these? I'm not "in" as it's put, but I'll try my best at helping you.

a) Tucking your trousers into your socks 'cause you're a complete towny rem

What the hell? I thought that was a thing that intelligent or "geeky" kids did. Why the hell would townies wanna do that?

b) Walking around saying 'bo', 'in da crib' and 'homies'

I don't, and the people who do it have obviously been listening to too much rap music (eg. Enimem, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dog etc).

c) Wearing ridiculously priced clothes that make you look like Michael Jackson at the weekend

I've always wondered why people do that. Simple clothes that keep me warm and don't break easily are fine for me thanks :0)

d) Buying the latest 'F*** F*** F***idy F***' album and make yourself look like a cool person going round swearing?

It's because naive teenagers think swearing is cool, fun and "the thing to do" or "shiznit" as some people say.

Teenagers are bloody stupid. People try to insult me for me being an individual, but I would think of that as a quality, as I am rather egregious and stand on my own two feet, unlike most other people I know.

Weird...
Wed 27/02/02 at 08:03
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You think the only people who have PS2s are stupid people who think they're cool?

1/2pint, I once had a small amount of respect for you (because some other people seemed to like you), but I've just totally lost it for yourself. I'm not "cool" in any way at all, yet I had a PlayStation and I have a PS2. The reason why I got my PSone in the first place was because it had Ridge Racer, WipEout and a load of other games that Sega didn't. Sure, Sonic tempted me but I could see the PSone was better. Nintendo weren't even around at this point.

With my PS2 I just followed the trend, as you do, PS1 -> PS2. Hell, I don;t even own any "cool" games, like Pro Evo or Tekken.

Sure, some people get PS2s because they're cool but It's nowhere near "all" or "most".

So you say I should get a GameCube to save myself? What if I like my PS2? I have 19 games, they're all really, REALLY good (for me) and I've only completed 2 of them. To get a GameCube woud be a waste of money and time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.