GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Blue Dragon"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Blue Dragon'.
Mon 01/10/07 at 11:37
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Took me 80 hours but I cleared the final achievement hurdle this morning, and I have to say that from start to finish this game rocked, best RPG I've played in a long, long time and a very, very satisfying ending, reminded me of the long drawn-out bossfight from Final Fantasy 7 except Blue Dragon has more of a bonus in terms of extra storyline at the end.

One of those games that starts out good then keeps on getting better. Ultra Hard Mod here we come! (It just got released on XBox Live as a free download, includes New Game+ and Impossible Mode, which will no doubt chew up a couple hundred more hours of my gaming life).
Thu 18/10/07 at 10:47
Regular
"8==="
Band of Bugs!
Sat 06/10/07 at 19:38
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Dumbledore died? You bast!!!!!!!!! .. ahem

Heh that's why i never venture onto a specific game forum until i've finished the story, i learnt that lesson the hard way with Final Fantasy 7. I hate people that do that, especially the ones who put a spoiler than put (spoiler) next to it. Prats

Halo 3 is tempting me from reading what those folks on PM are saying but i know i'll hate the community from all the horror stories i've read about it and i doubt i'll ever go onto xbox live with a shooter game. I'll just hold onto my Socom legacy back on the ps2 :-D

Little bit "hmmmm" about Mass Effect after watching a few more videos of it, i get bored of shooter games in just their normal 10 hour span, spread it out into RPG length and i'll be struggling to get through it.

Did get FFXI on the PC ages ago but my PC wouldn't play it so thankfully i managed to avoid that curse, i did fall prey to Warcraft but luckily the developers helped me out there by introducing Battlegrounds which just utterly killed it for me and i got my life back. Otherwise i'd still be defending Astranaar from Horde attack
Sat 06/10/07 at 19:35
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Kawada wrote:
> Where did i say that any slight deviation instantly makes it an
> Action RPG or untraditional?

You didnt (and neither did I say you did). Thats my interpretation of the classifications. To me an action RPG is something like Diablo or Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. In my opinion those games are quite far from Rogue Galaxy.
Anyway, as you said, this is FM's topic about Blue Dragon (which I've never played) so I'll leave it at that.
Sat 06/10/07 at 19:10
Regular
Keep guessing, and no worries, I'm not the guy driving round shouting 'Dumbledore dies!" out the window at bookstore queues. Nor am I one of those silly twunts that posted Halo 3 spoilers in the XBox Halo 3 forum before the game was released.

Halo 3 was an interesting case in that I found the gameplay bland but enjoyed the storyline so the spoilers saved me £39.99 in that instance.

My next RPG is... Mass Effect, although looking at the information released on the official website about character classes and associated skills it looks a little sparse on the character development front, but it's early days yet.

What's really weird is I've picked up FFXI again, for some strange reason I refuse to let it die until I get at least one achievement so I'm currently levelling Beastmaster, getting my butt kicked about in Meriphataud Mountains by Hill Lizards and getting chased around by Very Tough Goblin Gamblers with a penchant for Stonega. But at 191xp per time they're worth throwing the flies at just for the sheer fun of it.
Sat 06/10/07 at 18:56
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Don't you go giving it away otherwise i'm going to slap you hard FM. Wish my 360 would hurry up and get back here, i want to get playing it again, seemed to be picking up with the Zola appearance and i'm guessing her and Marumaro are the comedy pairing and i'm waiting to see if Marumaro continues to be amusing or eventually begins to get irritating
Sat 06/10/07 at 18:53
Regular
The traditional football game has had it's day and I find it rather tedious in this modern age. Pro Evolution Soccer is one of the best examples. Ludicrous thing to say, innit?

Edge gave Blue Dragon a 6/10 and Halo 3 10/10. I stopped buying Edge when they gave FFX 6/10 so I haven't a clue what kind of chemicals they're taking these days when they write their reviews, but whatever it is it seriously distorts their judgement.

There should be a website/magazine out there where they insist their reviewers actually complete games (as in complete, not just finish the storyline) before they review them, but I've yet to find one. It would make reviewing MMORPGs like FFXI and WoW a bit difficult though.

At the very minimum a reviewer should post their final gamer score for the game when they review 360 titles, that way we could look at all the Two Worlds reviews, check against the gamerscore of 10/1000 in their profile, and realise that they didn't actually play it very much. This seems to be the case with most RPGs these days.

The ultimate proof of how good a game is is how you feel when you've completed it, which in Blue Dragon's case makes it an 11/10, but then I'm a sucker for great endings.
Sat 06/10/07 at 18:40
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Garin wrote:
> I think some of those classifications are a bit unfair. Any
> slight deviation from the formula and its no longer traditional
> and/or an action RPG?

Where did i say that any slight deviation instantly makes it an Action RPG or untraditional? If it's a slight deviation such as the ATB system that was introduced then that's fine i'll call it traditional, but when it's a completely new system (isometric grid strategic system, hacky slash action system, RTS style system etc) well then it's not traditional turn based is it?
Which ones in particular do you think are unfair?

> I've played through most of Rogue Galaxy, its hardly an action > RPG. Yeah ok the combat isnt turn based but its hardly full on
> action oriented combat either

It's still an Action RPG, which was my definition. You say yourself it's not turn based, therefore it doesn't get counted towards the traditional turn based list. Sure it doesn't have a billion enemies on the screen like 99 Nights but it's still an action based system

I was saying how nice it was to have a nice traditional turn based RPG in this age of gaming as most RPG's released nowadays aren't and are alot more action orientated. So if there's RTS going on, having to run around slashing and hacking stuff yourself with numerous combo's again and again, isometric chess style strategic shenanigans or MMO style stuff then no i don't consider it a traditional turn based RPG because it isn't. Blue Dragon goes back to the roots and in this age where there's not many coming out on the market i am thankful to Sakaguchi for making one. Hopefully that ends it and we can get on actually talking about the game itself and my apologies to FM for what's happened to his topic
Sat 06/10/07 at 16:35
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I think some of those classifications are a bit unfair. Any slight deviation from the formula and its no longer traditional and/or an action RPG? I've played through most of Rogue Galaxy, its hardly an action RPG. Yeah ok the combat isnt turn based but its hardly full on action oriented combat either.
Sat 06/10/07 at 15:27
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Ohhh, over the years? Of course ......
Sat 06/10/07 at 12:28
Regular
"lets go back"
I'm tempted to get this soon. Its only £25 on GAME's website. I need to finish a few other games first though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.