GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So, mum buys the latest TV and..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/09/07 at 22:57
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
She got it from Currys. Got a pretty good deal too, managed to get £100 knocked off to match the online price (not hard really considering the online price was on the Currys website), free delivery (again, website offered free delivery so the local store matched it) then paid £79 for a stand and got Currys to deliver and install on a Sunday morning.

Now mum ain't the greatest of techies, so when they delivered and installed and told her that she no longer required her old RF aerial lead because the Virgin Media's set top box was connected to the TV directly via SCART and HDMI cables she trusted that they knew what they were talking about.

So I popped round to have a gander at the new goggle box, a Panasonic Viera 32" LCD complete with DVB tuner, HD ready, the works.

Basically Currys had plugged it in and got a picture, so a couple of hours of reading the manual, fiddling with the TV Drive Video+ output features, ripping out the SCART lead (redundant because the HDMI cable was there too) and reconnecting the RF aerial (which she'd been told she could 'cut' to get rid of the surplus wires) and I finally got it displaying in full resolution along with 70 Freeview Digital TV channels tuned in and running.

Funny thing is, when mum had spent all morning watching the golf in 420p resolution through SCART she thought she was getting her money's worth, but at least now she's a bit happier with a sharper picture running in 1080 Widescreen through HDMI.

Overall:
Panasonic TX-32LXD70 - the business, super slim, crystal picture, great features, might grab one for the XBox 360.
Currys prices - pretty decent, plus you can barter a bit for a better deal.
Currys installation service - avoid, phone a friend with a similar setup instead.
Tue 16/10/07 at 23:45
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I don't know how to put this, but I was expecting something along the lines of "My mum's just bought this new widescreen HD ready TV with all the top-notch features and it's all set up and working blah blah blah, only to find out that it doesn't have a digital tuner."

I'm not worried, it's just on my mind at the moment, the digital switchover, because it's been on the news and is finally happening. Mine won't be done until 2011, but we're covered anyway. We've got Freeview.

It won't be long before my nan is ringing up in panic though, even though she's got Sky. Gotta go easy on her though, she doesn't understand.
Mon 01/10/07 at 13:17
"possibly impossible"
I've heard horror stories of Currys delivery men trying to substitute different HDTVs for the model ordered and similar installation stories to you.

My finances took a tumble on our last visit to Spain, so we've been having to cut back a bit, which means I may not get my new TV this year after all.

I'm going to buy a VGA cable for the 360 in the next few days and take it up to the computer room to play on my 19" monitor. Not ideal, but better than nothing (and gets it out the way of my wife watching her TV!).

Hopefully I'll find a way of getting the TV later.
Sun 30/09/07 at 22:57
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
She got it from Currys. Got a pretty good deal too, managed to get £100 knocked off to match the online price (not hard really considering the online price was on the Currys website), free delivery (again, website offered free delivery so the local store matched it) then paid £79 for a stand and got Currys to deliver and install on a Sunday morning.

Now mum ain't the greatest of techies, so when they delivered and installed and told her that she no longer required her old RF aerial lead because the Virgin Media's set top box was connected to the TV directly via SCART and HDMI cables she trusted that they knew what they were talking about.

So I popped round to have a gander at the new goggle box, a Panasonic Viera 32" LCD complete with DVB tuner, HD ready, the works.

Basically Currys had plugged it in and got a picture, so a couple of hours of reading the manual, fiddling with the TV Drive Video+ output features, ripping out the SCART lead (redundant because the HDMI cable was there too) and reconnecting the RF aerial (which she'd been told she could 'cut' to get rid of the surplus wires) and I finally got it displaying in full resolution along with 70 Freeview Digital TV channels tuned in and running.

Funny thing is, when mum had spent all morning watching the golf in 420p resolution through SCART she thought she was getting her money's worth, but at least now she's a bit happier with a sharper picture running in 1080 Widescreen through HDMI.

Overall:
Panasonic TX-32LXD70 - the business, super slim, crystal picture, great features, might grab one for the XBox 360.
Currys prices - pretty decent, plus you can barter a bit for a better deal.
Currys installation service - avoid, phone a friend with a similar setup instead.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.