GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Speech Generation"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/09/00 at 15:53
Regular
Have games developers ever thought about taking advantage of the speech recognition software that is now available and incorporating it into games to create a more interactive experience. The AI technology recently developed by Steve Grand (the UK's foremost expert on all things artificial) could be used as well to create a game that responds to emotions carried in the human voice and generate sentences that can be considered 'intelligent'. This would lead to more random games with a higher level of interactivity that are no more advanced in software design than those already available. Desktop devices could also be created (similar to Furbys) that contain this technology and become like an electronic pet that communicates with your PC. These devices could even become remotely linked and taken about like normal pets. It doesn't just stop at cute desktop devices either! Oh, no! There all sorts of applications for this technology in business, schools and industry.

I think it's ironic that we are using technology that will one day have an intelligence of it's own and bring about the fall of the human race, to discuss how technology we are using now will one day have an intelligence of it's own and bring about the fall of the human race.

-Mr Sven
Tue 26/09/00 at 15:53
Have games developers ever thought about taking advantage of the speech recognition software that is now available and incorporating it into games to create a more interactive experience. The AI technology recently developed by Steve Grand (the UK's foremost expert on all things artificial) could be used as well to create a game that responds to emotions carried in the human voice and generate sentences that can be considered 'intelligent'. This would lead to more random games with a higher level of interactivity that are no more advanced in software design than those already available. Desktop devices could also be created (similar to Furbys) that contain this technology and become like an electronic pet that communicates with your PC. These devices could even become remotely linked and taken about like normal pets. It doesn't just stop at cute desktop devices either! Oh, no! There all sorts of applications for this technology in business, schools and industry.

I think it's ironic that we are using technology that will one day have an intelligence of it's own and bring about the fall of the human race, to discuss how technology we are using now will one day have an intelligence of it's own and bring about the fall of the human race.

-Mr Sven
Tue 26/09/00 at 16:11
Yes. Nintendo are developing "Where are You Pikachu" for the N64(I think thats what the games name is) which uses speech recognition software, but it will probably never get released in Britain due to the varying accentes and slang terms used by people in Britain. Thats the major stumbling block in programming using speech recognition. In terms of applications, it is still at a very early stage, if you see the dotTV channel, youll see that they are reviewing them all the time, and most of the time they say that they are not very good al all.
Tue 26/09/00 at 16:15
True, we wouldn't want a kiler N64 after us now would we?
Tue 26/09/00 at 16:44
What, its just a game where you tell Pikachu what to do and see if he likes it, its hardly going to come at you and fire a lightening bolt up your @ss!
Tue 26/09/00 at 21:53
Regular
I heard if you say playstation it will thundershock you.
DO you think nintendo put this in for a purpose?
Tue 26/09/00 at 23:55
Who finds it discourteous to see a message typed in capitals, it's just a form of expression but apparantly
this website doesn't allow freedom of speech even if it doesn't contain profanity!!!
Tue 26/09/00 at 23:58
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
It allows freedom of speech, just not freedom of EXPRESSION!! Congratulations to Mr Sven by the way.
Wed 27/09/00 at 09:40
Oh my God. I won. I don't know what to say. I think I'm gonna cry. Woohoo, rock your family everyone!

-Mr Sven
Wed 27/09/00 at 19:03
The game is actually called "Hey You Pikachu"

It's more than just a large Tamagotchi! It's got minigames and more! (I don't know much more as I haven't had much info)

Also other games have speech recog.

Look at Star TRek Klingon Language Lab! It teaches you klingon and tells you how well you are saying it!
Wed 27/09/00 at 19:14
Speech recognition could be fun in games if implemented properly, it now works for PC activities, so there is no reason why the UK can't get the technology. All it takes is 5-10 minutes to recognise the stock phrases and words, then picks up parts of those words to recognise other words, so accent shouldn't be a problem.
With Speech recognition getting more popular, other types of recognition may come about in games:

Fat Recognition.
Will register your weight and if it is too much will pause the game until you get some exercise.

BO Recognition.
Will tell you what others fear to tell, a message will appear on the screen while you play saying "you smell!" This could be advantagous in some games as it will give your character an extra weapon.

Alchohol Recognition
During driving games will make the car appear much harder to control, while at the same time bringing on a police car to chase you as you swerve across the road.

the list is endless, but luckily for you lot I've got bored of typing it...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.