GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pro Evolution Soccer: does anyone else think this is an amazing game."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/02/02 at 21:26
Regular
Wow having never been interested in footy games in general. I was suprised to find that the demo from sonys Official PS2 mag, totally changed my feelings altogether. One week later I went out to my local shop and bought it. In the other footy games I ever played or the occasional one ive owned it was either to easy or to hard to score, or painfully slow and boring. And to anyone who thinks Fifa games still top the tree are obvious freaks who enjoy slow moving boring games.
Solution play pro evo, graphically its amazingly smooth and life like and players who can look like there real life counterparts(i.e david Beckham). Anyone put off by names likes London for a team (actually Arsenal) and not having an official licence behind them like fifa is why people buy fifa in the first more teams leagues and all that crap. Dont be put off by all this and its dire off-time commentry the game plays a good exciting game of football 1 or 2 player. Buy it now if you like footy or newish like me. BUY!!
Mon 25/02/02 at 21:26
Wow having never been interested in footy games in general. I was suprised to find that the demo from sonys Official PS2 mag, totally changed my feelings altogether. One week later I went out to my local shop and bought it. In the other footy games I ever played or the occasional one ive owned it was either to easy or to hard to score, or painfully slow and boring. And to anyone who thinks Fifa games still top the tree are obvious freaks who enjoy slow moving boring games.
Solution play pro evo, graphically its amazingly smooth and life like and players who can look like there real life counterparts(i.e david Beckham). Anyone put off by names likes London for a team (actually Arsenal) and not having an official licence behind them like fifa is why people buy fifa in the first more teams leagues and all that crap. Dont be put off by all this and its dire off-time commentry the game plays a good exciting game of football 1 or 2 player. Buy it now if you like footy or newish like me. BUY!!
Mon 25/02/02 at 21:32
Regular
"Hairy Hippo Hoop"
thanx for the tip mate...

never heard of it myself ;-)
Mon 25/02/02 at 22:17
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Heh, i have been saying this for months..i even advertise it with every post! :D
Tue 26/02/02 at 09:45
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Well said - no other footie games come close at the mo.

Question for PE (Assuming you are the expert!) or anyone else - How can I score from free kicks ? I still havn't managed it and am looking forward to that sense of achievemnet when I can curl it round the wall and into the top corner instead of sending it into row Z !! any help would be graciously received.
Tue 26/02/02 at 11:18
nh wrote:
> Well said - no other footie games come close at the mo.

Question for PE
> (Assuming you are the expert!) or anyone else - How can I score from free kicks
> ? I still havn't managed it and am looking forward to that sense of achievemnet
> when I can curl it round the wall and into the top corner instead of sending it
> into row Z !! any help would be graciously received.

Practice, practice, practice!! Get on the training ground and keep adjusting your technique. Using the X or triangle button to dip the ball is pretty much mandatory, especially when you get closer in. Holding the X button dips the ball but slows the shot (this doesn't matter if you're accurate enough) and triangle dips the ball less but takes less speed of the shot ( perfect for those 35 yarders).

Also, I've found freekicks easier with a player with a short or no run up. Roberto Carlos with his long, long run up is really hard to score with.

But basically practice is the key, as someone once said 'the more you practice, the luckier you get'. ( or something along those lines!)

And oh it's worth it. I've only scored three in games ( 2 with Beckham, one with Serginho) and it feels just too sweet, when one pings in of the angle.

Keep the faith, it will happen, and it's worth the effort.

Mark
Tue 26/02/02 at 11:24
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Thanks for the tips - I have played so many games and never been able to score from a free kick yet, I havn't tried it on the training ground just tried in game so maybe I will spend some time in the training ground before my next match.

Cheers.
Tue 26/02/02 at 12:25
Regular
I've scored about 5 or 6 free kicks in games now. Proper wicked when they do go in.

My last one was the best. I was playin my brother and I was down to 9 men! The score was 2-2 into the last minute of the game...he had been dominating the whole game really with me only having the odd counter attack (from which my goals came from.)

Anyway, I got a free kick in the last minute of the game right at the edge of the box, i felt it was a penalty and felt pritty dissapointed when i found it out it was a free-kick. Well, anyway, I struck it, without expecting too much and it went straight into the top corner! My Brother coudnt believe it! Neither could I!

Next five minutes was me just singing "we only had 9 men....we only had 9 men....9 MEN!"

He was close to breaking point...

Gomincha scored that free kick, I've scored once with Beckham and i have scored a few with Maradona. Anyone ever hit the bar and then it goes in off a defender? They are proper funny.
Tue 26/02/02 at 13:11
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
No I've never had the ball bounce in off a defender but I have did hit the crossbar from Owen last week and Heskey came in and headed in - that was sweet.
Tue 26/02/02 at 13:24
Regular
"bitterly jaded ;]"
Firstly, PE is very like real football.....therefore even when your free kick technique is fantastic you will not score too frequently. - David Beckham is a master but he misses a lot more than he actually scores...
In terms of technique, free kick goals seem to come from a power bar of just over 3/4 and I seem to score more often if I curl the ball away from the keeper.
Its also really important to press the shoot button with
conviction cos the PS2 controllers can tell if you're nervous and not really trying!!!
Finally, I know a Zidane 30 yarder is a very satisfying way to score from a free kick but i've found it equally satisfying to zip in a long pass, nod it down to where a quick spinning Del Piero volleys the ball home......PE is perfection itself (commentary pah!) If only there were more hours (90 minutes?) in a day and a way of teaching your girfriend the importance of football!!
Keep on PE-ing, spread the word and wipe FIFA(spit) of the face of gaming for good......

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.