GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""N64 Killed my boy" Your thoughts........"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/02/02 at 21:03
Regular
When I saw this news item on the SR wed page I could understand that a person would feel grief for the death of his or her son, but it give them no reason to vent there grievences on an innocent entertainment company such as Nintendo. The warning about video games were perfectly clear, which brings me back to another law suit where a lady dropped a cup of boiling hot cofee on herself and sued the shop for not putting a "HOT DRINK" sign on the cup, which although farfetched can be justified. They said that if it had that sign they would not have sued, so surly if the manual had a warning about the dangers of video games on it, they should surely not be sued. The claims that video games are addictive is, in my view, not correct, dugs are addictive but you cannot compare cumputer games to that, and the number of people who have died from video games, to my knowladge, is currently at 1. This is a tragic accident, Nintendo never set out to kill anyone quite different in fact, and it is not Nintendo's fault that he played on it for 8 hours a day, 6 days a week. After all there were warnings about playing too long, and that you should take a break every 15mins, and if he chose to ignore that then it's not Nintendo's fault. But then again, looking at the size of Nintendo's pockets, the least they could do is pay for hospital care etc. as a kind of "we're sorry" thing. But still I don't think they should be sued, you don't sue a car company who's car crashed and killed someone because they made it so the car went too fast, and I think the same thing is happening here, in a way. All this is terribly tragic and we give them every condolences, but still accidents happen, and you can understand that people need a way to vent their grief and everyone has a different way. Some times , especially in the U.S.A, law suits are taken a bit too far.

Please post your responces and views.......
Mon 25/02/02 at 21:03
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
When I saw this news item on the SR wed page I could understand that a person would feel grief for the death of his or her son, but it give them no reason to vent there grievences on an innocent entertainment company such as Nintendo. The warning about video games were perfectly clear, which brings me back to another law suit where a lady dropped a cup of boiling hot cofee on herself and sued the shop for not putting a "HOT DRINK" sign on the cup, which although farfetched can be justified. They said that if it had that sign they would not have sued, so surly if the manual had a warning about the dangers of video games on it, they should surely not be sued. The claims that video games are addictive is, in my view, not correct, dugs are addictive but you cannot compare cumputer games to that, and the number of people who have died from video games, to my knowladge, is currently at 1. This is a tragic accident, Nintendo never set out to kill anyone quite different in fact, and it is not Nintendo's fault that he played on it for 8 hours a day, 6 days a week. After all there were warnings about playing too long, and that you should take a break every 15mins, and if he chose to ignore that then it's not Nintendo's fault. But then again, looking at the size of Nintendo's pockets, the least they could do is pay for hospital care etc. as a kind of "we're sorry" thing. But still I don't think they should be sued, you don't sue a car company who's car crashed and killed someone because they made it so the car went too fast, and I think the same thing is happening here, in a way. All this is terribly tragic and we give them every condolences, but still accidents happen, and you can understand that people need a way to vent their grief and everyone has a different way. Some times , especially in the U.S.A, law suits are taken a bit too far.

Please post your responces and views.......
Mon 25/02/02 at 21:13
Regular
"699 days!"
CAn you explain in more detail what happened please? I'd like to know.

I heard about a court case against McDonalds. A woman was driving, decided to put the coffee she had just bought between her thighs. She recieved 2nd degree burns. Although the cup clearly have Warning! Hot! written on them, her lawyer argued that McDonalds were 'greedy' for serving the coffee too fast thereby not giving it a chance to cool down. He claimed they did this despite public safety risks, and that they should be taught a lesson.

She recieved 3.3 million $.

The US courts are unbelievable!
Mon 25/02/02 at 22:21
Regular
The little tart shouldn't have been playing games for 8 hours a day in the first place. The Mother knows it was her fault but she's trying to find some way of avoiding the blame.
Mon 25/02/02 at 22:46
I read that the "kid" was 30 years old?? Is that true? BWah Ha Harrrr!
Tue 26/02/02 at 01:05
Regular
I don't want to speak ill of the dead, and all that, but since the mother's still alive, i think my conscience won't have a problem with my laying into her : )

Sueing nintendo? That's like sueing the owner of a big building you chose to jump off, or a knife maker for stabbing yourself in the face with one of their products.
But then again, the warnings so far as i know only tell you about taking breaks. If he did so, but kept on going back, for 8 hours, i think those americans might just let the woman win. We've seen enough examples of american courts requiring warnings stating things that really should be common sense even to the dumbest texan inbred. And the people who voted him in as president : D

Back to the mother? Well, i think this is on the same lines as the way people blame consoles, tv, 'the youth of today', and whatever else for the problems in their own family, instead of accepting their own responsibilities, and their own failings and try to actually rectify the problem.

In fairness, i do know some very intelligent americans, maybe we shouldn't be so quick to stereotype quite so broadly. However, when their country is run by a trained chimp, and their legal system expects everyone to assume the lowest possible level of intelligence when dealing with anyone else, it's not hard to see why they get a reputation.
Tue 26/02/02 at 15:12
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I think that the it was his mum's fault that he was playing his 64 8 hours a day! If he's STILL living at home at the age of 30, then his mum should've known that her 'little boy' was far too addicted and had nothing else to his life!

Why was he at home on his N64 for 8 hours a day??
Why does he appear to have no job, as a grown man!??
If it's anyone's fault but his own, the table and chair are to blame, for just.....being there!
Tue 26/02/02 at 20:07
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
Perhaps it was the lack of sleep that killed him, rather than having a seizeur. Perhaps he was so tired that he fell over asleep and banged his head. Unless he has a special problem, if he's epilectic of something, I don't see how it could have done that. The nice people at NGC Magazine and NOM play on the N64 all day! You don't see the team being slowly picked off every month having died of N64. Anyway if that were a problem the would put "Warning job is liable to grievous death" on their jod ads. Hundreds of people all over the country spend their working day, 8 to 9 hours, infront of a computer, of less quality probably, and are all right. Anyway if he did have a special problem it was his choice in risking playing on the N64. I recomend that if people do have epilepsy of something they should get a GBA because the sreen isn't back lit and is LCD, unlike a T.V, you won't have to worry about getting ill, plus it doesn't hurt your eye's after playing for a long time.
Personally I'd want to know what game he was playing on, as it could be the designers fault. When tons of Japanese kids got ill after watching an episode of Pokemon they didn't sue the TV companies, if they did sue anyone, the probably sued '4 Kids' who make the program. After all it was that specific program that caused the problem. If it was something in the game that caused it then they shouldn't sue Nintendo, unless Nintendo made the game. Some N64 games are just so brilliant that you want to keep on playing them but people, like me, follow the warnings and stop playing, or come to think of it if you have consened parent who stops you when your eye's start stining.
Another day on the way to school listening to Capital FM, god I hate that station, I heard that someone have to go to hospital with swollen hands caused by playing with a rumble controller too long, probably Rez the most painful game in the world. I think that Adults are too worried about computer games, they always say we spend too much time on them, but surely it would be just a bad as say playing endless chess. This was proved in one of my schools debating contests. It was "Computer games Vs. Books", I was on the book side, not that I wanted to be, and even with my debating skills I couldn't win. That proves it! Any way computers are the future man! Prehaps if we use them alot now we can evolve the human race to become adapted to using computers in many future years, after all they are being used more and more these days. Well thats probably unlikely but I think there's nothing wrong with computer games.
Tue 26/02/02 at 20:16
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
first of all, I read he was 30 (as someione else said) and if that's right, then he can make up his own mind how long to play a game, and if a health warning won't stop him playing for 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, then what will?

So she cannot claim that crap about the games 'warping his mind' as he was 30... And anyone with the intelligence of more than a retarded gibbon will realise that playing games for 8 hours every day cannot be that great for health...

And now you can probably sue a park for having a pebble on the ground that you fell over, or your office for someone closing a door that you walked into. The whole thing is stupid, and people should try using a little common sense instead of being retards and expecting everything that could be remotely dangerous to be signposted to them. Plugs in school don't have big labels saying 'Do not poke fingers or metallic objects in here', so if young children can understand not to do that, than I thing grown adults can understand sitting in front of a TV screen for a third of every day- whatever you are doing/ watching on the TV- it cannot be good for you!
Tue 26/02/02 at 20:46
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
It's like my old school. Whenever something cause the slightest problem the head, his first year, just banned it without us knowing why. So eventually all we could do in break was run around in a boring old field aimlessly, and we had to put trainers, tracksuits ect. on before we could do that, so me and my friends just sat around doing nothing. Is this what people want the whole world to be like. I don't think so, apart from these people who keep on sueing.
Wed 27/02/02 at 12:37
Nintendo can't and shouldn't be sued 4 such a stupid thing, its his fault if he played on it 4 2 long, he should of relized he could have a seizure.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.