GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Last truly groundbreaking game?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/09/00 at 15:11
Regular
With a popular topic being about bringing out new and original games it got me thinking about what the last truly groundbreaking game was. One which was like absolutely nothing else on the market at the time and, crucially, was also a brilliant game in itself.

There have been a few original games recently. Crazy Taxi often gets a mention, but this is just an (admittedly great) twist on the existing driving game genre. As does Jet Set Radio but I don't know too much about it to comment on it. Having said that, sales so far don't seem to indicate it has captured people in the way it might have done.

Going back a bit further, on Nintendo's side we have Zelda 64 and Mario 64. Both thought of as brilliant games but taking an existing formula and translating it into 3D, however well done, is not as groundbreaking as what I'm after.

I hope I can be proved wrong on this because it's a sobering thought to think you have to go back as far as I have to find true innovation. A game that has been translated onto every format imaginable. A game that has had a couple of sequels, none of which captured the sheer brilliance of the original (one in 3D). A game that I think is now almost 10 years old. That game is Lemmings.

Lemmings. A puzzle game. You may think that all good puzzle games are original but think about them - how many of them can you compare in some way to others? Most of them? Yes. All of them? I think so. When Lemmings came along it blew everyone away because it was 3 things. It was totally original, simple and above all else, immensely fun to play. There was nothing like it then, and it was an idea executed with such perfection that copycat games have been almost non-existent. I can only think of Troddlers (if that's the correct name, it might be Toddlers) and, at a push, that Comic Relief Sleepwalker game.

I hope someone can correct me on this. If I think of any others I'll post again, but for now it's over to you. By the way, anyone comparing Lemmings to Mad Nurse on the Commodore 64 is REALLY stretching the definition of 'comparison'.
Tue 26/09/00 at 15:11
With a popular topic being about bringing out new and original games it got me thinking about what the last truly groundbreaking game was. One which was like absolutely nothing else on the market at the time and, crucially, was also a brilliant game in itself.

There have been a few original games recently. Crazy Taxi often gets a mention, but this is just an (admittedly great) twist on the existing driving game genre. As does Jet Set Radio but I don't know too much about it to comment on it. Having said that, sales so far don't seem to indicate it has captured people in the way it might have done.

Going back a bit further, on Nintendo's side we have Zelda 64 and Mario 64. Both thought of as brilliant games but taking an existing formula and translating it into 3D, however well done, is not as groundbreaking as what I'm after.

I hope I can be proved wrong on this because it's a sobering thought to think you have to go back as far as I have to find true innovation. A game that has been translated onto every format imaginable. A game that has had a couple of sequels, none of which captured the sheer brilliance of the original (one in 3D). A game that I think is now almost 10 years old. That game is Lemmings.

Lemmings. A puzzle game. You may think that all good puzzle games are original but think about them - how many of them can you compare in some way to others? Most of them? Yes. All of them? I think so. When Lemmings came along it blew everyone away because it was 3 things. It was totally original, simple and above all else, immensely fun to play. There was nothing like it then, and it was an idea executed with such perfection that copycat games have been almost non-existent. I can only think of Troddlers (if that's the correct name, it might be Toddlers) and, at a push, that Comic Relief Sleepwalker game.

I hope someone can correct me on this. If I think of any others I'll post again, but for now it's over to you. By the way, anyone comparing Lemmings to Mad Nurse on the Commodore 64 is REALLY stretching the definition of 'comparison'.
Tue 26/09/00 at 16:04
Wolfenstein 3D would be the groundbreaking game that you mention- it was the first 3D based shooter, and it defined a whole new genre in computer games, it allowed you to kick butt with huge guns for the first time. how many clones have there been? Endless! Another one could be Resident Evil, which sent the benchmark for survival horror games. Personally I prefer the cut video scenes in RE to any other in the series, but in this case how many clones have we seen? Silent Hill is a prime example,and there are many more as well as this. What I would consider to be a groundbreaking game is not in terms of graphics, but in terms of a game that attempts to do something that hasnt been done before or something that has been done, but done in a new and interesting way, that many games after it attempt to emulate and copy the originality of the original, many without very much success unfortunately. The most important clone would be Doom though, coming from Wofenstein 3D, which really sparked our blood lust in games didnt it!
Tue 26/09/00 at 17:00
Well done, nice try. I admit I hadn't thought of that one but I'm not convinced. Wolfenstein 3D could be (harshly) described as being a shooting/adventure game utilising a new perspective. I realise this is quite a significant moment in video games' history but it's not nearly as groundbreaking as what I'm talking about.

As for Resident Evil, I think you've let yourself down there after your promising first suggestion. Alone in the Dark anyone? There's more than a passing resemblance between the two.

Have a bit more of a think and try again later. I want to be proved wrong as much as you want to prove me wrong!
Tue 26/09/00 at 17:12
Yeah, sorry. I didnt think of Alone In The Dark, that was the true survival horror game, but it wasnt as recognised as it should have been on the PC. I would say Donkey Kong, on the old Nintendo game and watch. It was the first ever platform game ever produced, and it was the first in be on a home system-if you will, that wasnt a shoot em up(Space Invaders) or a crude style sports game( the father of all computer games Pong)
Tue 26/09/00 at 18:04
You've gone the wrong way now - I mean a game NEWER than Lemmings.
Tue 26/09/00 at 18:07
Ill try and get back to you on it, trust me Ill live up to your challenge!
Tue 26/09/00 at 22:09
Regular
AS you said pong was the first ever game made, that's when we first discovered computer games.
And people started to think of new ideas.
What we need now is a revelutionary game that will set an example to people to make these kind of games.
Look at pong we don't need good graphics at all do we?
Wed 27/09/00 at 15:45
Regular
Pong wasn't the first ever game! Time for a history lesson..
The first game ever made was by a group of bored scientists, who made a game from using those hole in paper things.
The game was a simple two player game where each player was a triangle, and the other tried to shoot eachother using two box joysticks.
I think they named it Space War..
Wed 27/09/00 at 15:57
Bloody hell, where did you pull that out from? When did that come out?
Wed 27/09/00 at 16:43
Regular
Weren't it space invaders or something like that.
Pong was the first I think. And I meant the simple white line, board and ball game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.