GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Indefensible"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/02/02 at 18:16
Regular
I have just read on the SR website that a lady is suing Nintendo because she claims her son died because he played over 8 hours a day. Below is an excerpt of the story from the SR website:

'A Louisiana woman is suing Nintendo, after claiming her 30yr old son had seizures after playing on his N64 for 8 hours a day.
Gaming is addictive, and sitting too close to the screen can cause permanent damage, as can playing games for too long without a break. Nintendo are being sued for wrongful death, after a 30yr old Louisiana man suffered seizures after playing on his N64 console, even though they display clear warnings on game instructions that players should take a break every 15 minutes. The lawsuit, which was filed in a federal court last year, says the man died after hitting his head and mouth on a table during a seizure, apparently brought on by over-exposure to his favourite console.

The man's mother claims her son never once suffered a seizure before he bought the console, but she did admit that he played the N64 for 8 hours a day, 6 days a week. His mother is seeking unspecified damages for the loss of her son, which are thought to include funeral and medical expenses, plus her son's lost future earnings. Quite how much someone can earn playing games 8 hours a day, 6 days a week remains to be seen, but that's the crazyness of the judicial system.'

What is the world coming to? I understand that his mother is grieving and it is a terrible occurence but surely Nintendo are not to blame. This is just another example of gaming hitting the mainstream media for all the wriong reasons.

The industry is at a pivotal point in its history and this needless bad press can only harm it. He is a 30 year old man for Gods sake - surely he is capable of making independent judgements? If he suffered seizures after buying the console he should have stopped playing or at the very least conformed to the CLEARLY LABELLED instructions and take a break. The fact that the judicial system over there accomodates this is frankly laughable, as he didn't die at the effect of the seizure, he died because he came into contact with an external object nothing to do with Nintendo, an action that could have been brought about by drink. Would alcohol companies have been similarly treated - I don't think so.

Unless the mainstram media, indeed mainstream society, stop using games as a scapegoat then the industry will continue to suffer, and, although a life has been lost for which I am sincerely sorry, for reasons that it is not at fault.
Mon 25/02/02 at 19:11
I read this news report just before I read the topic (ironically enough!) and I was literally laughing for a number of reasons:

a) A 30-year-old, sitting on his ar'e all day, playing games? I can't see how his life's working wage is worth much!

b) It clearly states in the instructions that you should take regular breaks at set intervals, and if you don't read the manual, then it's your fault.

c) How in the world can she win?

Ok, my concentration was cut short, after just watching a trailer for Battle Royale trailer.
Mon 25/02/02 at 19:01
Regular
"relocated"
Nintendo can be blamed for a lot of things (I'm thinking especially of those accursed pokemon, which are a far worse threat to civilisation than nuclear proliferation) but to sue them for killing your son is downright stupid. I'm not up on the facts of the case but I'm FAIRLY certain that the Nintendo CEO didn't come round to this boy's house and brain him with an unsold console. It seems to me that, although America likes to think of itself as the land of the free, its people don't trust themselves with choice at all: so whenever something goes wrong its someone else's fault. If I filled up a bowl with coca-cola and planted myself face first into it, would it be me or Coca-Cola Corp who'd be responsible for my untimely death?
Mon 25/02/02 at 18:47
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I switch a lot between my PC and my Playstation, which fuzzes my eyes up sometimes. Maybe I should sue Sony?
Mon 25/02/02 at 18:42
Regular
I can't play consoles for more than an hour without giving my eyes a short break, even if it's only a five minute rest!

Surely this bloke must've wondered why he was getting seizures and should've followed the instructions which clearly say to STOP playing immediately and consult the doctor!
Mon 25/02/02 at 18:29
Regular
If there's one company you would expect not to be involved in such a predicament its Nintendo, as they take more customer care than most and have an excellent reputation in my view
Mon 25/02/02 at 18:25
Well this story just goes to show that some people will always seek to make money every way they can, even if they ruin the lives of innocent people (e.g. trying to sue Nintendo and ruin its reputation).
Mon 25/02/02 at 18:16
Regular
I have just read on the SR website that a lady is suing Nintendo because she claims her son died because he played over 8 hours a day. Below is an excerpt of the story from the SR website:

'A Louisiana woman is suing Nintendo, after claiming her 30yr old son had seizures after playing on his N64 for 8 hours a day.
Gaming is addictive, and sitting too close to the screen can cause permanent damage, as can playing games for too long without a break. Nintendo are being sued for wrongful death, after a 30yr old Louisiana man suffered seizures after playing on his N64 console, even though they display clear warnings on game instructions that players should take a break every 15 minutes. The lawsuit, which was filed in a federal court last year, says the man died after hitting his head and mouth on a table during a seizure, apparently brought on by over-exposure to his favourite console.

The man's mother claims her son never once suffered a seizure before he bought the console, but she did admit that he played the N64 for 8 hours a day, 6 days a week. His mother is seeking unspecified damages for the loss of her son, which are thought to include funeral and medical expenses, plus her son's lost future earnings. Quite how much someone can earn playing games 8 hours a day, 6 days a week remains to be seen, but that's the crazyness of the judicial system.'

What is the world coming to? I understand that his mother is grieving and it is a terrible occurence but surely Nintendo are not to blame. This is just another example of gaming hitting the mainstream media for all the wriong reasons.

The industry is at a pivotal point in its history and this needless bad press can only harm it. He is a 30 year old man for Gods sake - surely he is capable of making independent judgements? If he suffered seizures after buying the console he should have stopped playing or at the very least conformed to the CLEARLY LABELLED instructions and take a break. The fact that the judicial system over there accomodates this is frankly laughable, as he didn't die at the effect of the seizure, he died because he came into contact with an external object nothing to do with Nintendo, an action that could have been brought about by drink. Would alcohol companies have been similarly treated - I don't think so.

Unless the mainstram media, indeed mainstream society, stop using games as a scapegoat then the industry will continue to suffer, and, although a life has been lost for which I am sincerely sorry, for reasons that it is not at fault.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.