GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Location, location, location"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/02/13 at 10:25
"possibly impossible"
Why do you live where you do?

There are many reasons why people choose to settle down somewhere. Maybe they are living in the same town they grew up in and don't want to move away. Maybe they met someone and decided to settle down when they met, or maybe there's another reason for moving further afield?

But do you like where you live and would you change location if you could? If so, where would be your ideal location? (take into account the financial and realistic issue with living somewhere that might initially seem like paradise).

As for me...

I don't really live all that far from where I grew up, only an hour or so, but I came to Exmouth to go to university, met my wife here and decided to settle down. A lot of my uni friends couldn't wait to get out of this place as it was too slow for them, they wanted to go to the city or somewhere with a nightlife.

My only real gripe with this area is that we do miss out on a lot of the entertainment side of things and the transport system isn't fantastic (plus, it's expensive). It also annoys me when people talk about 'the South' as if it stops at London. For us, London is Northwards and far removed from the issues we face here.

Being in a seaside town, we do have the option to go and see the sea or go on long scenic walks, though we find that we don't often end up doing this as I have to drive to actually get near to the seafront anyway and parking is often terrible. Still, it's always there if we need it and the town itself isn't bad, despite the growing trend for charity shops taking over from proper retail sites .

So, how about you?
Mon 11/02/13 at 09:59
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Most of my family still live around here, very few have moved away.

However friends have moved away, mainly for work, which is good as I get to go around the country and crash on their settee's for free!
Sun 10/02/13 at 13:18
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Born in West London, moved to Gloucester aged 13, got the hell out of there as soon as I could aged 17, moved to Berkshire and then back to London at 21, I've been here ever since.
I stay here because of family, the transport and ease of access to entertainment. Living elsewhere left me bored and restless and I tend to struggle in that environment. I would probably never leave but my girlfriend is based elsewhere and needs her mum so I'll go wherever she is.
Sun 10/02/13 at 10:18
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I grew up round here, went to University near here so lived at home, then when I'd graduated got a job round here and my own place as well.

I often think of moving away and experiencing another part of the country, if I do I think I'll have to go to London if I can afford it.
Tue 05/02/13 at 23:03
Regular
"I like turtles"
I live in Wrexham, even though I'm fully aware how rubbish it is I doubt that I'll ever leave.
Tue 05/02/13 at 20:36
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I feel like a missionary at the moment, trying to educate the simple folk in the ways of modern life. They're canadians though so I dont hold much hope..
Tue 05/02/13 at 19:13
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I've lived in many places ... County Wicklow, Cork, Limerick, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Bristol, Sunderland, Whitehaven, Seaham Harbour, Marsden, London, Leeds, Sheffield and now here ... near Junction 23!

We moved here as my job at that time was a journey of 77 miles each way and by moving it then became only 17 miles each way. So a financial improvement, to say the least! But that was years ago and the kids are 'all grown up' and we now have a granddaughter, so this is our home! I'd like to move to somewhere warmer but Mrs DL still wants the 'family connection':¬)
Tue 05/02/13 at 18:46
Regular
London.
Show Spoiler
Tue 05/02/13 at 15:53
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
I stay in Essex simply because I talk like I'm from Dagenham (apparently!) so moving would mean nobody would be able to understand a word I said.

Not sure I've seen many of these orange people that the TV would have you believe are the natural inhabitants of Essex though...
Tue 05/02/13 at 15:16
Regular
"And in last place.."
I live in Perth simply because my wife got a job in Dundee and Perth was the best location for our commutes. My travel costs to work went from £38 a month to almost £300 which was a shock to the wallet but I only had to do that for a couple of years before getting a job closer to home.

Perth is nice town but it is a town regardless of recently being granted city status, It cannot compare on any level with the other cities in Scotland. Simple things like looking for a new sofa involve a 40 mile round trip to Dundee. We do at least now have a cinema that shows films in 3D, only a few years behind most other cinemas.

Still, as I say, it is a nice town and we have a few parks all within walking distance which is handy as my daughter loves a bit of park time. The school is also 2 minutes away. The only downside is not having any family close by. From my point of view, I prefer the place where I grew up but my wife and daughter are very settled and I'd not want to move them.

@pb... just like 'north' doesn't stop at Newcastle.
Tue 05/02/13 at 10:25
"possibly impossible"
Why do you live where you do?

There are many reasons why people choose to settle down somewhere. Maybe they are living in the same town they grew up in and don't want to move away. Maybe they met someone and decided to settle down when they met, or maybe there's another reason for moving further afield?

But do you like where you live and would you change location if you could? If so, where would be your ideal location? (take into account the financial and realistic issue with living somewhere that might initially seem like paradise).

As for me...

I don't really live all that far from where I grew up, only an hour or so, but I came to Exmouth to go to university, met my wife here and decided to settle down. A lot of my uni friends couldn't wait to get out of this place as it was too slow for them, they wanted to go to the city or somewhere with a nightlife.

My only real gripe with this area is that we do miss out on a lot of the entertainment side of things and the transport system isn't fantastic (plus, it's expensive). It also annoys me when people talk about 'the South' as if it stops at London. For us, London is Northwards and far removed from the issues we face here.

Being in a seaside town, we do have the option to go and see the sea or go on long scenic walks, though we find that we don't often end up doing this as I have to drive to actually get near to the seafront anyway and parking is often terrible. Still, it's always there if we need it and the town itself isn't bad, despite the growing trend for charity shops taking over from proper retail sites .

So, how about you?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.