GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DLC that's WORTH playing"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/01/13 at 15:46
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
We have had a number of discussions, often heated, over whether DLC is a good thing or a bad one, mostly revolving around the premise that the content should have been included in the original game. Although in some cases this might be considered true, it can be argued that in an equal number of cases there is some considerable value attached to some of the DLC available.

I thought it might be a good thing to maybe point out some of the better ones, give some opinion and perhaps highlight some of the great content out there that actually IS worth your hard earned cash.

As a starting point, I'd say Dawnguard for Skyrim. This has to be a perfect example of value for money. I have invested no less than 290 hours in Skyrim so far, and the addition of Dawnguard has me playing again, from the start, with as much enthusiasm as if it were a new game. New characters, skills, armour, weapons, locations, quests....

Not bad for a few quid.

Similarly, the add- ons for Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

So, who else has played, enjoyed and would recommend some addon content for a game or two and why?

Surely it's not all bad...
Thu 31/01/13 at 20:58
Regular
"I like turtles"
pb, new Black Ops 2 maps are great :)
Thu 31/01/13 at 09:44
Regular
"I like turtles"
pb wrote:
I'm tempted to get the Black Ops 2 season pass, mostly because I've actually really enjoyed the multiplayer and felt like I could actually compete on some level for the first time in CODs history (or, at least, the history of my having played the series online).

Totally agree mate, the changes to the online gameplay that Treyarch have introduced on this title have worked wonders IMO. Scorestreaks, where people actually get rewarded for PLAYING THE GAME PROPERLY have been a stroke of genius. I have found that generally most players seem to try and capture/defend bases etc. instead of parking up with a suppressed sniper rifle and all of the cloaking devices selected (as they have in previous games). The wildcard perks where you can completely revamp your loadout (triple attachments on a single weapon, double perks etc.) all work brilliantly and do not cause any form of unbalanced gameplay IMO as everything you add means something else has to come off. Also I love the map design, I find that it generally produces fast, furious and most of all fun gameplay. I am very much a casual gamer, will have a go for an hour or so and then not play anything for a week but Black Ops 2 has kept me coming back for more since I bought it on release. I appreciate that its change in direction has split the COD fans somewhat (couple of my mates hate it) but for me it's the most fun game in the series so far. I have actually prestiged on it, never bothered on any of the previous titles. Think I will buy a season pass as well.
Thu 31/01/13 at 08:42
"possibly impossible"
The one issue I do have with map pack DLC is that I often find myself selling the game not long after thinking that the DLC would be a good purchase.

But still I do it! I'm tempted to get the Black Ops 2 season pass, mostly because I've actually really enjoyed the multiplayer and felt like I could actually compete on some level for the first time in CODs history (or, at least, the history of my having played the series online).
Wed 30/01/13 at 17:30
Regular
"I like turtles"
All DLC is evil and while I continue to draw breath I refuse to even....

Oooh just noticed that new Black Ops 2 map pack is out...
Wed 30/01/13 at 11:49
Regular
"And in last place.."
The Pitt, that's the one. And from a quick browse on the web I think Point Lookout was the other one I enjoyed.
Tue 29/01/13 at 12:04
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
dav2612 wrote:
I really enjoyed a couple of the Fallout 3 DLC packs but I can't remember their names. I think one was set in a steel mill.

I think you mean "The Pitt", which I have to agree was excellent.. I still go back to it now and again, loads to do, lots of hours of extra game play and a good back story that fits beautifully with the main game.
Tue 29/01/13 at 09:01
Regular
"And in last place.."
As someone who tends to trade-in games when complete, I don't tend to bother with DLC as I can't sell it on but I have dabbled from time to time.

I'd agree with pb on Big Surf Island. It was too expensive for my liking but I can't argue that there was a lot of fun to be had.

Project Gotham Racing 4 had some good DLC and a price more to my liking.

The 2 extra Motorstorm RC packs are well worth playing if you liked the main game.

I really enjoyed a couple of the Fallout 3 DLC packs but I can't remember their names. I think one was set in a steel mill.
Mon 21/01/13 at 09:48
"possibly impossible"
Certainly new cars and tracks for Gran Turismo and Forza 4/Horizon.

Burnout Paradise's Big Surf Island was a fantastic addition to the game, too, as was the party multiplayer mode. Sadly, they canned the proposed further DLC for it.

Borderlands had good DLC and the sequel is proving just as good according to some (I still haven't got far enough in the game to warrant DLC purchases yet, though).
Sun 20/01/13 at 19:52
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
BF3?
Sun 20/01/13 at 15:46
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
We have had a number of discussions, often heated, over whether DLC is a good thing or a bad one, mostly revolving around the premise that the content should have been included in the original game. Although in some cases this might be considered true, it can be argued that in an equal number of cases there is some considerable value attached to some of the DLC available.

I thought it might be a good thing to maybe point out some of the better ones, give some opinion and perhaps highlight some of the great content out there that actually IS worth your hard earned cash.

As a starting point, I'd say Dawnguard for Skyrim. This has to be a perfect example of value for money. I have invested no less than 290 hours in Skyrim so far, and the addition of Dawnguard has me playing again, from the start, with as much enthusiasm as if it were a new game. New characters, skills, armour, weapons, locations, quests....

Not bad for a few quid.

Similarly, the add- ons for Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

So, who else has played, enjoyed and would recommend some addon content for a game or two and why?

Surely it's not all bad...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.