GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Celebrity"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/01/13 at 23:33
"possibly impossible"
With the new series of Big Brother started (did anyone actually notice?) and many reality shows on TV at any one time, what does celebrity mean any more and who are the real entertainers?

Traditionally, those in entertainment were held in high regard, an elusive platform that was hard to reach and those who were there, even if you didn't like them, had earned it.

Now, what do we have? Yes, there are those stars who still earn their place through talent alone, but there are a growing number of reality TV stars who seem to enter into the world of entertainment via the opposite, a lack of talent.

But perhaps that's too harsh? There has to be something about them to sustain their ability to stay on the screen? They say everyone has their 5 minutes of fame, but these are people who have come through the conveyor belt of fame from out of nowhere and have stayed on the screen from one programme to another, and not always another reality TV show. Sometimes they even get their own show.

If they're successful, though, surely they've earned it? But can they ever lose their status? It's so easy to ridicule the next reality TV star to get a second show/chance, but perhaps they were destined for this?
Thu 17/01/13 at 14:39
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I think some of them would have hit the big time anyway and just got a convenient leg-up from whatever show they were on.

It does devalue to "star factor" nowadays though as in olden days meeting a celebrity was a huge thing for most people, however nowadays round my way 3-4 nights a week there will be a "celebrity" contender from Big Brother or X Factor or whatever turning up somewhere for a guest appearance and the club/pub owners charge £20 or so to get in.
Thu 17/01/13 at 10:28
"possibly impossible"
That's a pretty balanced view. A lot of people seem to hate them regardless of whether they go on to other things. It seems to be a stigma attached to them.
Wed 16/01/13 at 13:03
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
pb wrote:
With the new series of Big Brother started (did anyone actually notice?) and many reality shows on TV at any one time, what does celebrity mean any more and who are the real entertainers?

Traditionally, those in entertainment were held in high regard, an elusive platform that was hard to reach and those who were there, even if you didn't like them, had earned it.

Nope I'd heard it was starting around now but didn't know it had actually started.

Nowadays lots of people become famous for 5 minutes but the one's that stay I think do usually deserve it as they have something to offer that no-one else has (or very few people have).

Even though I don't usually like reality TV "stars" who try and get famous quickly with very little talent I do admire the ones that manage to stay around and become successful as this is what takes the real hard work and deserves to be rewarded.
Tue 15/01/13 at 23:33
"possibly impossible"

Now, what do we have? Yes, there are those stars who still earn their place through talent alone, but there are a growing number of reality TV stars who seem to enter into the world of entertainment via the opposite, a lack of talent.

But perhaps that's too harsh? There has to be something about them to sustain their ability to stay on the screen? They say everyone has their 5 minutes of fame, but these are people who have come through the conveyor belt of fame from out of nowhere and have stayed on the screen from one programme to another, and not always another reality TV show. Sometimes they even get their own show.

If they're successful, though, surely they've earned it? But can they ever lose their status? It's so easy to ridicule the next reality TV star to get a second show/chance, but perhaps they were destined for this?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.