GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Nintendo difference"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/02/02 at 17:49
Regular
If you had to sum up Nintendo in one word, what wold it be? Style, originality, creativity- there are so many to pick from. But I'd have to say that "revolution" is what sums Nintendo and the Nintendo difference up best.

Since Nintendo have been making games the one characteristi that has always stood out has been their new ideas, ingenious new concepts and unbelievable perfectionist approach to making games.

But that is true of so many companies- Sega, Namco and all the rest come out with massive titles that completely redefine gaming. The difference with Nintendo though is that they come out with revolutionary games all the time.

Take the N64. Although it may only have launched with one game, Mario 64, the game pushed back the frontiers of gaming. It was the first 3D game to actually use 3D gameplay, not simply copying the style of old 2D games. To this day it sets the standard for all 3D platformers, and it's influence appears everywhere. Yet it has never been beaten- a testimony to Nintendo's perfectionism.

Then, a couple of years later Nintendo do the impossible and make a better game- Zelda! Not only does this make 3D gaming, that Nintendo had perfected, even more perfect with the addition of the lock-on camera system, but the game was simply epic. The vastness of Hyrule and the range of tasks has made it be voted "Best Game Ever" time and time again.

And this trend continues right into the past. On the SNES the Mario series was ground-breaking, consisting of the most diverse and far ranging gaming techniques seen at the time. Mario Kart is still an undeniable classic, and one of the greatest multiplayer games even today (Dispite it only supporting 2 players).

This is what make Nintendo special. As on designer said, out of all the games companies in the world, they probably have the greatest game to greatest game ratio of all time. And it sees no sign of stopping now!

Sonic
Sun 24/02/02 at 17:49
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
If you had to sum up Nintendo in one word, what wold it be? Style, originality, creativity- there are so many to pick from. But I'd have to say that "revolution" is what sums Nintendo and the Nintendo difference up best.

Since Nintendo have been making games the one characteristi that has always stood out has been their new ideas, ingenious new concepts and unbelievable perfectionist approach to making games.

But that is true of so many companies- Sega, Namco and all the rest come out with massive titles that completely redefine gaming. The difference with Nintendo though is that they come out with revolutionary games all the time.

Take the N64. Although it may only have launched with one game, Mario 64, the game pushed back the frontiers of gaming. It was the first 3D game to actually use 3D gameplay, not simply copying the style of old 2D games. To this day it sets the standard for all 3D platformers, and it's influence appears everywhere. Yet it has never been beaten- a testimony to Nintendo's perfectionism.

Then, a couple of years later Nintendo do the impossible and make a better game- Zelda! Not only does this make 3D gaming, that Nintendo had perfected, even more perfect with the addition of the lock-on camera system, but the game was simply epic. The vastness of Hyrule and the range of tasks has made it be voted "Best Game Ever" time and time again.

And this trend continues right into the past. On the SNES the Mario series was ground-breaking, consisting of the most diverse and far ranging gaming techniques seen at the time. Mario Kart is still an undeniable classic, and one of the greatest multiplayer games even today (Dispite it only supporting 2 players).

This is what make Nintendo special. As on designer said, out of all the games companies in the world, they probably have the greatest game to greatest game ratio of all time. And it sees no sign of stopping now!

Sonic
Sun 24/02/02 at 18:01
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
The one word, for me, that sums up Nintendo is this - innovation.
I think you're taking it a bit far, saying Zelda perfected 3d gameplay even more, coz I believe we're still a long way off perfection.
Although I can see that Legend of Zelda for Gamecube is sure to redefine gaming again, I'm not so sure about Mario Sunshine. Current screenshots look worringly average at the mo. Still, I'll say no more till E3!
Sun 24/02/02 at 18:21
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
There are a number of words that can describe Nintendo, originality, revolutionary and innotive as has already been mentioned.

This is why I like Nintendo so much.

They're in a position where they can take risks and offer something new to the gaming world, the upcoming Zelda on Gamecube is one example. Also their taste for 'weirdness' I suppose with Super Monkey Ball and Pikmin.

Blast Corps was always a favourite game of mine although that's designed by Nintendos half owned company Rare.

I also love Nintendo so much because of Zelda and Mario Kart.

:0)
Mon 25/02/02 at 08:48
Starlight...monkey ball is from Sega!
Mon 25/02/02 at 22:29
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
And with Sega bringing their spikey blue mascot to GC, and with Rare on their side, Nintendo are going to stay strong, and hopefully continue their trend of revolutionising gaming, then re-revolutionising it again and again!
Mon 25/02/02 at 22:38
Well sadly Segas spikey blue mascot is crappier than ever. But signings like the Resident Evil series are a good step. Plus of course Nintendo developing business relationships with Sega and Namco in the arcade sector. That will put them in a prime position for future generation consoles imo.
Mon 25/02/02 at 22:39
just to alter my wording a bit. Sonic was very very good on the Megadrive but has been average ever since.
Mon 25/02/02 at 22:55
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Sega's spikey blue pal may not be as good as he used to be, but the GBA game is good (apparently) and Sega's balls and bananas are top quality...

*Everyone notices the hilariously witty 'Super Monkey Balls' reference and laughs themselves silly*

*Sibs carries on dreaming*
Tue 26/02/02 at 08:15
oh yeh Sonic Advance is a great game no doubt. Sonic needs a, high on special effects, 2D next generation game IMO. Sonic in 2D = Great. Sonic in 3D = Average.
Tue 26/02/02 at 21:26
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
GrimMetal wrote:
> Well sadly Segas spikey blue mascot is crappier than ever.

I agree. DO NOT BUY SONIC ADVENTURE 2 people! It really is the worst game in the series- short, boring in parts, very few bosses.

By contrast, Sonic Adventure (1) is VERY fast, always fun, and is a huge game- sonic has dozens of levels himself, and there are so many extra tasks to do. It is, quite simply, one of the greatest games to come from any developer ever. Shame Ninty's don't get a look at it though :(

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.