GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How we remember Classic Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/09/00 at 11:55
Regular
When we look back over the past few years and remember games on the Spectrum/Megadrive etc, we always see the older games in a much better light than current ones. I believe this is nostalga playing its part and not necessarally that older games are better than current ones. Yes there are classics, some haven't been beaten, such as Elite and others, but there are some new games that are just as good.
It seems that we all want a return to childhood or the innocence that went with these original games. We all have fond memories of finishing that room in Jet Set Willy, or pulling that perfect stunt on Unirally for the SNES. Those were great games...for their time...now we have many more games with better graphics, and,yes, better gameplay at times too. Don't always believe people when they tell you that the old games were the best, take off those rose coloured glasses and play them again, some were good but not all!
Tue 26/09/00 at 10:10
"possibly impossible"
Yes, but some games WERE good, most people remember at least one game that kept them up all night and had them sweating like a mad pig (do pigs sweat?) until they finished it.
You can try out some of the classics on emulators, most computers and consoles are catered for (special reserve even do an Amiga emulator - although I bought one from them and found that you needed the main rom from the internet) The spectrum and megadrive emulators are especially good.
When you go back to a game, you find that perhaps it doesn't have the graphics or stand out as much as recent games, but it is still playable today. I still have a megadrive and the rush you get from trying to control Sonic the Headgehog as he rushes past some nasty spikes is still there. Thrust on the spectrum still enthralls me as I try not to crash into the wall of a mountain while towing a pendulum like object which is constantly pulling me down again.
Don't ALWAYS believe people when they tell you that old games are the best, but sometimes, just sometimes, they might be right.
Mon 25/09/00 at 11:55
When we look back over the past few years and remember games on the Spectrum/Megadrive etc, we always see the older games in a much better light than current ones. I believe this is nostalga playing its part and not necessarally that older games are better than current ones. Yes there are classics, some haven't been beaten, such as Elite and others, but there are some new games that are just as good.
It seems that we all want a return to childhood or the innocence that went with these original games. We all have fond memories of finishing that room in Jet Set Willy, or pulling that perfect stunt on Unirally for the SNES. Those were great games...for their time...now we have many more games with better graphics, and,yes, better gameplay at times too. Don't always believe people when they tell you that the old games were the best, take off those rose coloured glasses and play them again, some were good but not all!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.