GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Glamourisation of stick-thin celebrities - Are women too thin?!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/09/07 at 17:59
Regular
Our celebrity driven culture is diven by stick-thin celebrities. But when is thin too thin?!

Its a marketing disease. More than 8.5 million people have cosmetic procedures in the US every year. They spend $12.4 billion on these cosmetic procedures every year! The average weight of a model is 23% lower than that of an avergae woman. Approximately one million boys and men suffer from anorexia and 10 million girls and women suffer from eating disorders. Thats in the US alone. Girls as young as 7 battle anorexia!

More than a million Britons suffer from eating disorders, with those aged between 14 and 25 at greatest risk of anorexia, bulimia and other conditions, which in the most severe cases, can be fatal.

This is an exploitation of insecurities. This is self mutilation and self hatred. It is insane.

Size zero models are praised by the fashion world today. Actresses, Models, Singers, celebrities in general. Magazines, TV, everywhere we look all we see are extremely thin celebrities. Its a showcase, a glamorisation of anorexia. Is the media trying to sell us an image that is almost impossible and extremely unhealthy?

Elizabeth Hurley lost her 30lbs of baby fat in 8 weeks! On a diet in which she ate no more than 900 calories a day! That is insane. How can anyone aspire to be this way?!

As a size 8 myself, I constantly feel as if I should be thinner, constantly thinking lose this bit of fat there or everyone will see you as being fat. I mean how can I compare to a size 0 (uk size 4). I watch TV, or open up a magazine and feel fat and unattractive. I mean EVERYONE has their insecurities. But then I think, if I compare myself to them, I will never feel pretty.

You should eat to live not live to eat. The media need to portray a healthy body image for everyone to follow. They should be real people. Its not fair or right to say being curvy and is better than being slim (if the person is healthy) we need to portray and celebrate different types of beauty. Life's hard enough without worrying about what you eat.

Are size zero models too thin for the catwalk?
By KAREN KAY

As top Uruguayan model Luisel Ramos floated down the catwalk last month to rapturous applause from fashion mavens and front-row celebrities, she thought she’d reached a new career high.

The already skinny 22-year-old had been informed by her model agency that she could "make it big" if she lost a significant amount of weight. So, for three months she ate nothing but salads and greens and drank only Diet Coke in an attempt to reach the elusive ‘size zero’, so coveted by the fashion world today.

Minutes after stepping off the catwalk, after complaining she felt unwell, Luisel dropped dead from heart failure. The ultimate fashion victim.

The stunning size 12 model branded 'too fat' for TV competition.
Fri 28/09/07 at 21:31
"Was the man of marz"
The chuckle brothers! They where filming at my college last year, still no one can work out why :(

Nonces
Fri 28/09/07 at 18:48
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
This (the world's smallest waist) scared me slightly...
Fri 28/09/07 at 14:42
"Was the man of marz"
iggvopvantoodlewin wrote:
> I think they both contain the magical Phosphoric Acid which I
> suspect gives Coke the lead in dental destruction.
>
>
> So why did she drink Diet Coke? water would have been better.

I thought that was the whole point of the diet variety, that it didn't leave that icky film all over your teeth. As for water, i'd recommend caledonian spring (if your in the south-west and your water tastes like pure chlorine). Thankfully thames tap' isn't that bad.

Anyway on the subject of people being too thin, I think it's absurd, and possibly the route of the problem. Everyone has different genetic characteristics, so people can be healthy whether they are little or large (weight wise). The idea that there is this perfect state, that is achievable, is exactly the mind set that leads to tragedies like the one highlighted by Karen Kay.
Fri 28/09/07 at 00:32
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I avoid aspartame too. Never believed it caused cancer though.
Thu 27/09/07 at 23:55
Regular
"In the same years, Ralph Walton, MD, Chairman, The Center for Behavioral Medicine showed that the only studies which didn't find problems with aspartame where those funded by the manufacturer (Monsanto)."

Guess someone thought of that too.
Thu 27/09/07 at 23:49
Regular
I've heard all that iggy, but:

There's this counterargument

Honestly, I don't know what to believe. All I know is I hate the sweetener taste of anything with aspartame in. So I avoid it.

There is of course, the 'smoke and fire' logic, where perhaps aspartame really is very dangerous, and they've spent a lot of money trying to cover it up.

It's possible, but hey. I'm not missing anything by not drinking it, I think.
Tue 25/09/07 at 13:04
"nope"
> Fashion victim
>
> So, for three months she ate nothing but salads and greens and
> drank only Diet Coke in an attempt to reach the elusive ‘size
> zero’, so coveted by the fashion world today.

Diet Coke contains Aspartame. Aspartame is generally known as very evil (brain cancer evil) since it turns into formaldehyde and ethanol when it reaches body temperature... ..that means when you drink diet coke it is worse for you than full fat coke.

I think they both contain the magical Phosphoric Acid which I suspect gives Coke the lead in dental destruction.

So why did she drink Diet Coke? water would have been better.
Tue 25/09/07 at 11:09
"possibly impossible"
8-12 is fine for me.

It does depend on their other attributes as well, of course. If they're stunning but as thick as two short planks then I'd give them a wide berth. It's a sliding scale based on lots of different things.

Spirit, intelligence and looks, but certainly not half as skinny as these girls, that would be perfect. You want something to hold, after all... :D
Tue 25/09/07 at 10:33
Regular
"you've got a beard"
skinny chicks break too easily.

curves ftw!
Sun 23/09/07 at 18:34
Regular
"kcharl"
Idon't think there's such thing as a perfect size, It depends on your height. I am only 5' so if i go over 8 and a half stone I look chunky and don't feel attractive in my clothes. Models are clothes hangers and there's no getting away from the fact that clothes look good on slim people.
I think erring on the skinny side is better than bigger but keep some curves, it's what makes us attractive. Bones aren't sexy and neither is avoiding a good meal.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.