GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo Wii U Hardware Review"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/12/12 at 13:13
"possibly impossible"
Everyone has heard of the Wii. It was possibly the biggest surprise success story of the last console generation, mainly because everyone expected it to do badly.

The problem with the Wii was that it was on the back foot from the start where power and graphics were concerned, but the motion gaming experience out of the box ensured a completely unique way to play games and Nintendo's successful marketing ensured that a whole new type of gamer arose to buy the little while console in droves.

The first signs of the successor, the Wii U, were interesting. Nintendo seemed to be back in the race for graphical ability and grunt from the initial reports. It was only very near to launch that we heard the facts; the console would have a slower CPU than the 360 but over twice the graphical processing from the GPU. What this has meant, in terms of launch games, is that the current batch of titles are pretty much on a par with the current crop of PS3 and 360 titles out there.

The console comes in a white basic version with 8GB of memory or a black premium version with 32GB memory and a recharging stand for the controller, as well as a sensor bar for any Wii Remotes that you may need. It's only slightly bigger than the Wii, but a lot shinier. So far, so normal.

However, just as with the Wii, the Wii U has a different take on gaming. Instead of the Wii Remotes, there is a huge great tablet in the box that forms the main controller for the console. This Gamepad is capable of providing a mix of touchscreen gaming, as seen on iOS and Android tablet devices, and traditional gaming with the analogue sticks and buttons.

One of the most impressive features is the ability to switch between the TV and the controller's screen at the press of a button. It doesn't work for all games, but when you're playing New Super Mario Bros U or Assassin's Creed 3 and someone else wants to use the TV it's a great asset. Zombi U, another launch title, uses the screen for another interesting development, checking on bodies of defeated zombies to raid them. It also provides a sensor.

As with Wii Sports on the previous console, NintendoLand, which comes bundled with the 32GB Premium console, is built to show off what else the screen can do. There are some great ideas here, like one player using only the screen and escaping from or chasing the other players who are using the TV with a different viewpoint of the game's play area.

The gamepad really is the main selling point for those who aren't already Nintendo console fans, but the Wii backward compatibility and the ability to use Wii Remotes, as well as the guarantee of old Nintendo franchises with new exciting graphics and game worlds, should entice traditional fans too.

My first time booting up the new console I faced an interesting issue created by this generation's reliance on patches and content delivered via the internet. A 1GB+ day one patch is needed to add all the online content to the Wii U menu. You can, however, run this in the background and go off and play other games in the meantime, but it's going to be a shock for anyone opening their new consoles on Christmas Day. No doubt this is the way things are going, though and the new Sony and Microsoft consoles will face similar issues.

But it's well worth taking the time to update the console because Nintendo have finally entered the era of connected gaming with their new Mii Verse hub world. From the start The Mii Plaza that made up my TV screen became populated with random Miis and various text and drawings from the (carefully moderated) Nintendo chat threads in Mii Verse. Friends are far easier to find with the new Nintendo ID replacing the old annoying Wii codes and the ease at which you can link to others. There is even the ability to use the built in camera on the Gamepad to make video calls, potentially asking for embarrassing situations if you happen to play Mario Bros while naked or Zombi U in your superman pants.

There's no doubt that the Wii U still doesn't feel quite as connected as the PS3 or 360, though, and each game still feels like a separate experience. The Miiverse does counter this somewhat with a community that you can access in the middle of a game, maybe to ask a question about how to get past something you're stuck on, or even to post a screenshot. But with a microphone and even a camera built in, games can feel a lot more interactive online than with the mostly silent Wii online experience.

Time and further games titles will tell how successful the Wii U actually becomes, but the initial signs are good as far as I'm concerned and I've already had a lot of fun from the console. It sits somewhere between the accessible family fun of the Wii and the more in depth online focused entertainment of the PS3 and 360, with the promise of being able to do much more as developers get used to the hardware.

10/10
Fri 14/12/12 at 20:50
Regular
chasfh wrote:
in fact the missus has almost insisted that we should do so (WHAT!? The wife[i] insisting I buy a console!?) but...[/i]

Is she getting tired of the Sims? Looks like gaming might become more expensive :p
Fri 14/12/12 at 18:54
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Nice to read a review of this. I must say, I have been considering getting one, in fact the missus has almost insisted that we should do so (WHAT!? The wife insisting I buy a console!?) but...

Still not sure.

I think you're right, it will be a case of seeing where the games devs take this. The possibilities are endless, and the potential is staggering, so maybe when there's a few more games out there I'll be convinced.
Fri 14/12/12 at 13:13
"possibly impossible"
Everyone has heard of the Wii. It was possibly the biggest surprise success story of the last console generation, mainly because everyone expected it to do badly.

The problem with the Wii was that it was on the back foot from the start where power and graphics were concerned, but the motion gaming experience out of the box ensured a completely unique way to play games and Nintendo's successful marketing ensured that a whole new type of gamer arose to buy the little while console in droves.

The first signs of the successor, the Wii U, were interesting. Nintendo seemed to be back in the race for graphical ability and grunt from the initial reports. It was only very near to launch that we heard the facts; the console would have a slower CPU than the 360 but over twice the graphical processing from the GPU. What this has meant, in terms of launch games, is that the current batch of titles are pretty much on a par with the current crop of PS3 and 360 titles out there.

The console comes in a white basic version with 8GB of memory or a black premium version with 32GB memory and a recharging stand for the controller, as well as a sensor bar for any Wii Remotes that you may need. It's only slightly bigger than the Wii, but a lot shinier. So far, so normal.

However, just as with the Wii, the Wii U has a different take on gaming. Instead of the Wii Remotes, there is a huge great tablet in the box that forms the main controller for the console. This Gamepad is capable of providing a mix of touchscreen gaming, as seen on iOS and Android tablet devices, and traditional gaming with the analogue sticks and buttons.

One of the most impressive features is the ability to switch between the TV and the controller's screen at the press of a button. It doesn't work for all games, but when you're playing New Super Mario Bros U or Assassin's Creed 3 and someone else wants to use the TV it's a great asset. Zombi U, another launch title, uses the screen for another interesting development, checking on bodies of defeated zombies to raid them. It also provides a sensor.

As with Wii Sports on the previous console, NintendoLand, which comes bundled with the 32GB Premium console, is built to show off what else the screen can do. There are some great ideas here, like one player using only the screen and escaping from or chasing the other players who are using the TV with a different viewpoint of the game's play area.

The gamepad really is the main selling point for those who aren't already Nintendo console fans, but the Wii backward compatibility and the ability to use Wii Remotes, as well as the guarantee of old Nintendo franchises with new exciting graphics and game worlds, should entice traditional fans too.

My first time booting up the new console I faced an interesting issue created by this generation's reliance on patches and content delivered via the internet. A 1GB+ day one patch is needed to add all the online content to the Wii U menu. You can, however, run this in the background and go off and play other games in the meantime, but it's going to be a shock for anyone opening their new consoles on Christmas Day. No doubt this is the way things are going, though and the new Sony and Microsoft consoles will face similar issues.

But it's well worth taking the time to update the console because Nintendo have finally entered the era of connected gaming with their new Mii Verse hub world. From the start The Mii Plaza that made up my TV screen became populated with random Miis and various text and drawings from the (carefully moderated) Nintendo chat threads in Mii Verse. Friends are far easier to find with the new Nintendo ID replacing the old annoying Wii codes and the ease at which you can link to others. There is even the ability to use the built in camera on the Gamepad to make video calls, potentially asking for embarrassing situations if you happen to play Mario Bros while naked or Zombi U in your superman pants.

There's no doubt that the Wii U still doesn't feel quite as connected as the PS3 or 360, though, and each game still feels like a separate experience. The Miiverse does counter this somewhat with a community that you can access in the middle of a game, maybe to ask a question about how to get past something you're stuck on, or even to post a screenshot. But with a microphone and even a camera built in, games can feel a lot more interactive online than with the mostly silent Wii online experience.

Time and further games titles will tell how successful the Wii U actually becomes, but the initial signs are good as far as I'm concerned and I've already had a lot of fun from the console. It sits somewhere between the accessible family fun of the Wii and the more in depth online focused entertainment of the PS3 and 360, with the promise of being able to do much more as developers get used to the hardware.

10/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.