GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Let them entertain you."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/02/02 at 23:06
Regular
We all know the argument about which is better, arcade games or realism games, but can we really say that one is better than the other? Both sets of genre set out to entertain us and depending on your opinion, one entertains you more than the other, and they go about this in very different ways.

More often than not, arcade games are based on sports games such as racing or other usually extreme sports. Games like SSX and Tony Hawks have done very well in this genre, as has the Fifa franchise. All these are know for there great easy to pick and play method, you can just pick it up and instantly get into the game, but they are hard to master. Where most arcade games take off is the addictiveness which is brought about by top game play that everyone can enjoy. Also these games don’t rely on plots and cut scenes to get through the game, they just play and that’s what they are made for. However, although they are very addictive when you first get them, soon they can become boring and repetitive, this has happened with the likes of Tony Hawks, Crazy Taxi and so on. After a while doing the same thing over and over is just no longer all that appealing. These games are also known for there shortness, games like Crazy Taxi and SSX don’t take very long to finish, either as there are few missions or just that there are not many levels to play through. Some games try to combat this by putting many characters to use, and to finish the game to 100% you have to do it with all of them, but that’s just not appealing to many as well, in affect you are only doing the same as before only with a different skin and costume on, and this really does not work well.

But these games are not designed to last for long, there main aim is to offer great fun with mates playing too, trying to beat each others scores and so on. Arcade games are based more for the type of player who plays with friends as you can all compete against each other. But perhaps arcade games are more popular than sims because of this fact. Lots of people come home with there mates and rather than watch TV they would rather have fun on a game. With arcade games being so easy to just pick up and play there is no messing about with controls and so you can get straight in on the action, no messing. Great for those after pub hours!

Games that go for realism take a totally different route to entertain us though. These types of games main aim is to become as real to the activity as possible and this really works when coming to entertain us. You see, as consoles improve so do there graphical capabilities and games start to look more like the real thing than ever before. Because of this games can now start to deliver a more realistic experience and offer players a chance to for fill dreams on a virtual level that they may never have been able to in there life. Take Pro Evo for example, its most lads dream to play for England when they are older, but sadly this does not happen all that often, so games like Pro Evo can step in. Being based to mimic real football so well means that it plays just like the real thing, and you can truly have a real game of football on your TV whenever you feel. With the graphics looking so well too it makes the experience even more real. And that’s what the game is therefore, and why so many people enjoy sim games as it gives you the chance to be doing something you would never dream of. Take F1 racing as another example, with the graphics and game play becoming so real it may as well be the real thing, gaming these days offer us so many different possibilities.

But these examples are only sport games, what about the likes of Silent Hill. The stories maybe fictional, but they too are very much real, and the emotions you feel are things that you feel in everyday life, fear, curiosity, at time even laughter. But the main thing that SH aims to do is scare you to a point you think what’s happening is real. The atmosphere within the game actually does this to you too, with strange noises happening all the time you start to feel nervous, and even jump when a monster attacks you. This is on an emotional level though, games like MGS are games that put you in a more real situation, and being based on real life like physics this actually works.

But for me, the most realistic game that I ever played was Operation Flashpoint. For me this is the one game that actually pulled off the feeling of being there, in battle with your squad, all trying to keep alive and finish the mission. The game drew me in so much, I started to really try and look out for my squad, if I saw them in danger I would not only shout the commands with the keys, but also actually shout to them ‘get down’. This game really gave me an insight of what it must be like in the army, of course not on a greater scale as the real thing, but a glimpse of life for them, at times I was ducking and diving in my chair, trying to look around the bush that I was crouched down in, and devising plans in my head how to get out of a sticky situation. This game is damn scary!

As you can see though, both sets of game ‘genre’, arcade and realism both set out to entertain us in different ways, and some games from both genres work better than others, it all depends how the developer goes around doing things that determines whether it works. But which type do you prefer, do you get more enjoyment out of ssx say than pro evo? My self, I like a mixture of both, at times I want a quick pick up and play game and other times I want to spend some amount of time at a game, and progress through a story.

So discuss, which do you prefer?
Tue 26/02/02 at 19:35
Regular
"  "
Pro Evo wrote:
> ......cheers......

oh...maybe u did :D
Tue 26/02/02 at 19:34
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
Congrats on the win Pro. Quality post!!!!
Tue 26/02/02 at 19:33
Regular
"360: swfcman"
You didnt deserve one, spamming my topic. :D
Tue 26/02/02 at 19:30
Regular
"  "
hey! i never got a thanks! :D
Tue 26/02/02 at 19:17
Regular
Thanks for the reply, glad you liked it.
Tue 26/02/02 at 17:54
Brilliant read mate, well worthy of a GAD award.

I personally MUCH prefer arcade style games, i find with a realistic game you play it and when u finish it you never play it again, with an arcade style game you can play it over and over and over without getting bored because its fun. Games were originally designed to be fun and take you away from the real world while you are playing, not add to it.
Mon 25/02/02 at 19:40
Regular
Heh, who cares, i have won now, let this topic burn! :D

Wait wait, that was a joke! honest!
Mon 25/02/02 at 16:56
Regular
"  "
i was thinking the same thing.....we shouldn't spoil a GAD post :)
Mon 25/02/02 at 16:39
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Ooops sorry PE - this ones turning to chat now - time for me leave it alone.

p.s. Good luck then !
Mon 25/02/02 at 16:35
Regular
"  "
hopefully

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.