GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Iphone non-pinch/stretch after .mobi download."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/11/12 at 18:09
Regular
"Become a veteran"
I have a .com web site whose text, when downloaded by an iPhone, can be pinched and stretched to enhance legibility. I have transferred the identical files to a .mobi domain, but when downloaded by an iPhone, the text can no longer be pinched or stretched. This problem does not arise with a Samsung Galaxy SII.
Can anyone tell me what changes I need to make to the .html code (created with Dreamweaver) so that text can be resized by pinching and stretching when using an iPhone?
Thank you.
Mon 19/11/12 at 13:15
Regular
"Become a veteran"
Thanks to Eccles and Hmm for their contributions, but my enquiry is not so much about the initial rendering of .mobi pages to the available screen size of an iPhone - it is more about the denial of the pinch and stretch facility that iPhone users face having downloaded text files from a .mobi domain.
As I said, the identical code, when downloaded to an iPhone from a .com or .co.uk domain does lend itself to pinch and stretch - so how can I instruct the iPhone to disregard/not realise that the source is a .mobi domain?
Tests on an iPhone 4 show that pinch/stretch works when the code is downloaded from a .mobi site - but apparently NOT when the iPhone is a 4S or a 5 model - can anyone confirm this please?
There must be an answer out there somewhere!
Sat 17/11/12 at 21:45
"Are you sure?"
Sat 17/11/12 at 19:57
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Are you using the viewport meta tag? If so then try removing that completely. Otherwise a read of this might help.
Sat 17/11/12 at 19:36
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I'll have a think, but good phone ... the Galaxy SII :¬)
Sat 17/11/12 at 18:09
Regular
"Become a veteran"
I have a .com web site whose text, when downloaded by an iPhone, can be pinched and stretched to enhance legibility. I have transferred the identical files to a .mobi domain, but when downloaded by an iPhone, the text can no longer be pinched or stretched. This problem does not arise with a Samsung Galaxy SII.
Can anyone tell me what changes I need to make to the .html code (created with Dreamweaver) so that text can be resized by pinching and stretching when using an iPhone?
Thank you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.