GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"World In Conflict (PC)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'World in Conflict'.
Sat 22/09/07 at 20:15
Regular
"Captain to you."
I've found myself playing a lot of RTS games recently despite not really being a big fan of the genre, I find that i have been trying most new demos and then having such a good time that i end up getting the full title.

World In Conflict is simply the best looking RTS ever, i can say that without the “could be” or “probably” because it is fact, World in Conflict is beautiful beyond what a war game should be. It's so pretty that you might find yourself licking your monitor, know i'm not saying that you should lick your monitor or that it's even a good idea (I don't know where your monitor has been) but if you are going to get World in Conflict then you should probably give your monitor a clean first just in case.

Normally with a new game you tend to get an improvement in one aspect, be it textures, models or lighting but World In Conflict blasts everything that came before it out the window in all three. The level of detail to the models is such that up close a single soldier looks as detailed as a player in Battlefield 2 or CounterStrike Source, the textures are fantastic and with land deformation (craters aren't just flat textures but real holes in the floor) it gives a whole new feel to the level after heavy shelling.

Lighting is probably the part of the game that will cause your monitor to have a close encounter with your tongue, everything in the game is so well lit and looks fantastic from all angles. The smoke and volumetric lighting piercing through it gives an unnatural beauty despite the games setting.

World In Conflict is based on a fictional “what if” of the cold war never ending and instead got worse to the point of Russia invading America and the rest of Europe.

I was reading Wiki about the game before and it refers to it as a RTT (Real Time Tactics) but personally i see little difference between that and an RTS. I suppose i was wrong earlier in calling it an RTS as it's not quite like a tradition RTS is. There is no base building or resource gathering as such.

You will get preselected units for the start of each mission and then you earn points by completing objectives and destroying enemy units. These points can then be spent on air drops of new units, the closest game i can think of is Ground Control where drop ships would bring in new units to control. World In Conflict takes it one step further as the AI controller units are fighting the battle with you often on the other side of the battlefield keeping the enemy from advancing in on direction or on an objective. This gives you a feeling of just being one cog in a big machine rather than normal RTS games where you would just be doing everything on your own.

This Tactical or almost squad feature allows for a much more developed story within a mission, often objectives will change and the front line will change with it, you might have to retreat to hold a better position due to one of the friend AI squads being overwhelmed. This does mean that just as you think the level will finish you could only be half the way through or even only a third and new main objectives will be added as well as secondary objectives that if completed will give bonus units.

This is a game more for people with mid-top PCs but will run on lower machines and still look quite good and in some respects better than other titles in some areas. This is defiantly a game i think everyone should at least try the Demo to or just go and get. If you are a RTS (or RTT) fan then you should probably already be playing it.

Just remember to clean your monitor before installing.

Here are some Screenshots i took while in game.

Screen 1
Screen 2
Screen 3
Screen 4
Tue 25/09/07 at 17:46
Regular
"eeast weeeeeeeeeezy"
i downloaded it from xfire but did'nt work i was annoyed
Sat 22/09/07 at 20:15
Regular
"Captain to you."
I've found myself playing a lot of RTS games recently despite not really being a big fan of the genre, I find that i have been trying most new demos and then having such a good time that i end up getting the full title.

World In Conflict is simply the best looking RTS ever, i can say that without the “could be” or “probably” because it is fact, World in Conflict is beautiful beyond what a war game should be. It's so pretty that you might find yourself licking your monitor, know i'm not saying that you should lick your monitor or that it's even a good idea (I don't know where your monitor has been) but if you are going to get World in Conflict then you should probably give your monitor a clean first just in case.

Normally with a new game you tend to get an improvement in one aspect, be it textures, models or lighting but World In Conflict blasts everything that came before it out the window in all three. The level of detail to the models is such that up close a single soldier looks as detailed as a player in Battlefield 2 or CounterStrike Source, the textures are fantastic and with land deformation (craters aren't just flat textures but real holes in the floor) it gives a whole new feel to the level after heavy shelling.

Lighting is probably the part of the game that will cause your monitor to have a close encounter with your tongue, everything in the game is so well lit and looks fantastic from all angles. The smoke and volumetric lighting piercing through it gives an unnatural beauty despite the games setting.

World In Conflict is based on a fictional “what if” of the cold war never ending and instead got worse to the point of Russia invading America and the rest of Europe.

I was reading Wiki about the game before and it refers to it as a RTT (Real Time Tactics) but personally i see little difference between that and an RTS. I suppose i was wrong earlier in calling it an RTS as it's not quite like a tradition RTS is. There is no base building or resource gathering as such.

You will get preselected units for the start of each mission and then you earn points by completing objectives and destroying enemy units. These points can then be spent on air drops of new units, the closest game i can think of is Ground Control where drop ships would bring in new units to control. World In Conflict takes it one step further as the AI controller units are fighting the battle with you often on the other side of the battlefield keeping the enemy from advancing in on direction or on an objective. This gives you a feeling of just being one cog in a big machine rather than normal RTS games where you would just be doing everything on your own.

This Tactical or almost squad feature allows for a much more developed story within a mission, often objectives will change and the front line will change with it, you might have to retreat to hold a better position due to one of the friend AI squads being overwhelmed. This does mean that just as you think the level will finish you could only be half the way through or even only a third and new main objectives will be added as well as secondary objectives that if completed will give bonus units.

This is a game more for people with mid-top PCs but will run on lower machines and still look quite good and in some respects better than other titles in some areas. This is defiantly a game i think everyone should at least try the Demo to or just go and get. If you are a RTS (or RTT) fan then you should probably already be playing it.

Just remember to clean your monitor before installing.

Here are some Screenshots i took while in game.

Screen 1
Screen 2
Screen 3
Screen 4

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.