GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Need For Speed Most Wanted"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Need for Speed: Most Wanted'.
Wed 14/11/12 at 10:28
Regular
"And in last place.."
PS3 version played.

Burnout Paradise and Need For Speed Hot Pursuit are involved in a high speed head-on collision and out of the wreckage emerges Need For Speed Most Wanted. Can Criterion’s latest effort take down its previous two games?

NFS Most Wanted, as it shall be called from now on, presents you with the challenge of becoming the Most Wanted racer in Fairhaven. Starting off as a nobody, you need to earn the right to challenge the top 10 racers on the Most Wanted list. Each victory takes you one step closer to the prestige and honour of being the Most Wanted.

A lot of Criterion’s fans, (and I include myself in this) are wanting a Burnout Paradise 2. Criterion are well aware of this and since EA haven’t let them loose on this yet, they have done the next best thing by creating a Best Of Burnout Paradise and Best Of Hot Pursuit compilation.

The Paradise references are the more dominant in the game. Hot Pursuit involved highway driving, no towns or built-up areas anywhere. Fairhaven, the setting of NFS Most Wanted, is similar to Paradise City with a mix of town centre locations and highways linking them. Fairhaven shares some types of locations with Paradise City with industrial locations and the harbour making an appearance but other smaller parts in Fairhaven will feel familiar. Fairhaven is also the larger of the two locations so you will see more variety with the likes of parks and constructions sites.
The biggest common demoninator between the two cities is that they are both playgrounds. You can’t get that Paradise City feeling without some gates and billboards to smash. Speed cameras are a new playground item where the aim is to clock as high a speed as possible as you go past. Not as much fun as smashing through things though. The garages also make a return for a quick patch-up and paint job.

The Hot Pursuit references mainly come in the shape of the police. Whether you are just exploring Fairhaven or participating in a race, your actions will attract police attention and they will give chase. You have an associated heat level which will build the more naughty you are. The police are a determined bunch and as your heat level rises they will put more effort into stopping you. Road blocks will be set up and more police vehicles join the chase. If that doesn’t work they will then pull out the SUV vehicles before calling in the SWAT vans. The mini map in the corner of the screen shows the police visibility, go beyond that and your heat level starts to drop. Changing paint colour via the garages also helps drop the heat level unless you are spotted doing so.

The vehicles in NFS Most Wanted are your usual selection of desireable cars from boy racer types such as the Mitsubish Evo right up to supercars in the shape of Aston Martins and Lamborghinis. The Most Wanted cars are the best of the best though. Towards the top of the list you’ll find offerings from Bugatti and Pagani. The ‘standard’ cars are all available to drive from the moment you start the game. There is no unlocking criteria to satisfy other than finding the vehicle. These cars are scattered in many locations around Fairhaven, some easily found and others you’ll need to venture off the beaten track to locate. The cars you can drive display the company logo above them and it is a simple case of driving up to them and pressing the triangle to jump in. If you have played any of Criterion’s previous games then you’ll know what to expect from the car handling. This is arcade racing at its best, cars contol well and power drifts are easy to perform. The licensed cars mean the damage is nowhere near the extent shown in Burnout games.

In order to be able to work your way up the Most Wanted list you will need speed points. Points are awared from everything from drifts to evading the police, from winning races to participating in multiplayer events. Each of the standard cars comes with its own set of races to win. Events range between Easy, Medium and Hard. The style of events is not quite as varied as before however. Circuit races see you race laps round a set course within the town centre locations. This can involve road and off-road sections. The other race events involve getting from point A to point B. This is more restrictive in NFS Most Wanted, in Paradise City it was up to you how you got to point B but in NFS Most Wanted you need to go through the checkpoints. It makes navigation easier, no more getting lost but it is too restrictive, for instance I missed the turn onto the ramp onto the freeway so I took the next one. I was effecitvely just on the wrong side of the road and gained no benefit but the game insisted I go back and go through the checkpoint. The Speed events involve clocking up a set average speed between points A and B. Again, you need to stick to the set course. And finally the Ambush events are police pursuit events where you need to evade the police as quickly as possible.

The race events are excellent and driving at speed through town will keep you on your toes. Traffic isn’t as busy as I remember Paradise City being but they still prevent an obstacle to avoid. With this being Criterion, the takedown is the main weapon in racing. Why simply overtake when you can nudge your opponent into a wall or an oncoming car. The AI is aggressive which makes the events rather thrilling and chaotic at times. There is none of the aftertouch control from Burnout though. Another ommission is the camera showing you the crash in all its glory. This did take your attention from the race but it was always quite satisfying to watch, being told you got a takedown isn’t quite the same.

The Ambush events I find are simply down to luck and I don’t like that. The police are farily competent drivers so you are going to have to be more creative than simply outrunning them or performing the odd jump. The police seems to have a homing device, even if you are well out of sight and decided to hide in a car park as you wait for the heat level to drop, you can still find 3 patrol cars venture in to say “surprise”. In one race I was completely out of sight, made numerous truns onto different roads only to find a road block up ahead. There is no way the police new I was on that road and it was in a completely different direction to where I was heading when they last say me. If you have played Hot Pursuit then you will come to miss being able to drop a spike strip to halt the police progress. Unfortunately the police have no such feelings as they are fully equipped.
The Most Wanted events present the best challenges in the game, especially towards the top spot where the races become quite lengthy. Come first and you claim your opponents Most Wanted position but the fun does not end there, you then get involved in a bit of cat and mouse as you try to take them down and win their car.

Coming in the top three of any event unlocks extras for your car. This comes in the shape of nitrous boosts, tyres and chassis and body improvements. These extras can be changed on the fly via Easy Drive. It is a similar menu setup as seen in Burnout Paradise, a quick press on the d-pad and the menu appears as the game progresses. This allows for some quick tactical changes during a race; ventured off-road? You can quickly change your tyres. Are the police dropping spike strips? You can equip the re-inflating tyres (if you have unlocked them) to counter that. The trouble with this is that the menu reduces visibility and you really need to keep your focus on the road. A quick glance at the menu is all it takes to crash so you need to pick your moments wisely.

The structure of the events is an interesting choice. It is possible to become Most Wanted without having completed most of the races. This then leaves you will little incentive, other than a completion percentage and a trophy to drive you towards completing the other events. I am at 93% complete but I’ve certainly lost interest at times in trying to finish off. A better progression model would have been very welcome.

Autlog is back in the shape of Autolog 2. I can’t comment much on it as mine is empty. I have 3 friends who have this game, 2 of which have played a lot of it but unfortunately they all have the Vita version. They have missed a trick with this PS3 and Vita connectivity, all I can see is there overall speed points when what I really want to see is their race times. The Autolog also records the speed recorded by the speed cameras but the most interesting one, I feel, is the distance jumped through the billboards. If you have record the furthest distance then your friends will see your PSN avatar in the billboard. I beleive those with the PS3 camera will be able to replace that with a photo of your smug face.

The multiplayer mode is very similar to Burnout Paradise. You have a variety of events to participate in and there is a nice mix of race events and challenges, individual and team based. This presents a chance to play properly as well as do some of the fun stuff like all try to land on a roof. The trouble becomes with the mentality or your companions. I’ve found the simple act of meeting up at the desired locaton is too much for some. Team challenges are nigh on impossible at times. It is very good if you get the right people.

NSF Most Wanted is an excellent game but it doesn’t reach the heights of Burnout Paradise or NFS Hot Pursuit. Come on EA, let Citerion loose on Burnout Paradise 2.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 14/11/12 at 10:28
Regular
"And in last place.."
PS3 version played.

Burnout Paradise and Need For Speed Hot Pursuit are involved in a high speed head-on collision and out of the wreckage emerges Need For Speed Most Wanted. Can Criterion’s latest effort take down its previous two games?

NFS Most Wanted, as it shall be called from now on, presents you with the challenge of becoming the Most Wanted racer in Fairhaven. Starting off as a nobody, you need to earn the right to challenge the top 10 racers on the Most Wanted list. Each victory takes you one step closer to the prestige and honour of being the Most Wanted.

A lot of Criterion’s fans, (and I include myself in this) are wanting a Burnout Paradise 2. Criterion are well aware of this and since EA haven’t let them loose on this yet, they have done the next best thing by creating a Best Of Burnout Paradise and Best Of Hot Pursuit compilation.

The Paradise references are the more dominant in the game. Hot Pursuit involved highway driving, no towns or built-up areas anywhere. Fairhaven, the setting of NFS Most Wanted, is similar to Paradise City with a mix of town centre locations and highways linking them. Fairhaven shares some types of locations with Paradise City with industrial locations and the harbour making an appearance but other smaller parts in Fairhaven will feel familiar. Fairhaven is also the larger of the two locations so you will see more variety with the likes of parks and constructions sites.
The biggest common demoninator between the two cities is that they are both playgrounds. You can’t get that Paradise City feeling without some gates and billboards to smash. Speed cameras are a new playground item where the aim is to clock as high a speed as possible as you go past. Not as much fun as smashing through things though. The garages also make a return for a quick patch-up and paint job.

The Hot Pursuit references mainly come in the shape of the police. Whether you are just exploring Fairhaven or participating in a race, your actions will attract police attention and they will give chase. You have an associated heat level which will build the more naughty you are. The police are a determined bunch and as your heat level rises they will put more effort into stopping you. Road blocks will be set up and more police vehicles join the chase. If that doesn’t work they will then pull out the SUV vehicles before calling in the SWAT vans. The mini map in the corner of the screen shows the police visibility, go beyond that and your heat level starts to drop. Changing paint colour via the garages also helps drop the heat level unless you are spotted doing so.

The vehicles in NFS Most Wanted are your usual selection of desireable cars from boy racer types such as the Mitsubish Evo right up to supercars in the shape of Aston Martins and Lamborghinis. The Most Wanted cars are the best of the best though. Towards the top of the list you’ll find offerings from Bugatti and Pagani. The ‘standard’ cars are all available to drive from the moment you start the game. There is no unlocking criteria to satisfy other than finding the vehicle. These cars are scattered in many locations around Fairhaven, some easily found and others you’ll need to venture off the beaten track to locate. The cars you can drive display the company logo above them and it is a simple case of driving up to them and pressing the triangle to jump in. If you have played any of Criterion’s previous games then you’ll know what to expect from the car handling. This is arcade racing at its best, cars contol well and power drifts are easy to perform. The licensed cars mean the damage is nowhere near the extent shown in Burnout games.

In order to be able to work your way up the Most Wanted list you will need speed points. Points are awared from everything from drifts to evading the police, from winning races to participating in multiplayer events. Each of the standard cars comes with its own set of races to win. Events range between Easy, Medium and Hard. The style of events is not quite as varied as before however. Circuit races see you race laps round a set course within the town centre locations. This can involve road and off-road sections. The other race events involve getting from point A to point B. This is more restrictive in NFS Most Wanted, in Paradise City it was up to you how you got to point B but in NFS Most Wanted you need to go through the checkpoints. It makes navigation easier, no more getting lost but it is too restrictive, for instance I missed the turn onto the ramp onto the freeway so I took the next one. I was effecitvely just on the wrong side of the road and gained no benefit but the game insisted I go back and go through the checkpoint. The Speed events involve clocking up a set average speed between points A and B. Again, you need to stick to the set course. And finally the Ambush events are police pursuit events where you need to evade the police as quickly as possible.

The race events are excellent and driving at speed through town will keep you on your toes. Traffic isn’t as busy as I remember Paradise City being but they still prevent an obstacle to avoid. With this being Criterion, the takedown is the main weapon in racing. Why simply overtake when you can nudge your opponent into a wall or an oncoming car. The AI is aggressive which makes the events rather thrilling and chaotic at times. There is none of the aftertouch control from Burnout though. Another ommission is the camera showing you the crash in all its glory. This did take your attention from the race but it was always quite satisfying to watch, being told you got a takedown isn’t quite the same.

The Ambush events I find are simply down to luck and I don’t like that. The police are farily competent drivers so you are going to have to be more creative than simply outrunning them or performing the odd jump. The police seems to have a homing device, even if you are well out of sight and decided to hide in a car park as you wait for the heat level to drop, you can still find 3 patrol cars venture in to say “surprise”. In one race I was completely out of sight, made numerous truns onto different roads only to find a road block up ahead. There is no way the police new I was on that road and it was in a completely different direction to where I was heading when they last say me. If you have played Hot Pursuit then you will come to miss being able to drop a spike strip to halt the police progress. Unfortunately the police have no such feelings as they are fully equipped.
The Most Wanted events present the best challenges in the game, especially towards the top spot where the races become quite lengthy. Come first and you claim your opponents Most Wanted position but the fun does not end there, you then get involved in a bit of cat and mouse as you try to take them down and win their car.

Coming in the top three of any event unlocks extras for your car. This comes in the shape of nitrous boosts, tyres and chassis and body improvements. These extras can be changed on the fly via Easy Drive. It is a similar menu setup as seen in Burnout Paradise, a quick press on the d-pad and the menu appears as the game progresses. This allows for some quick tactical changes during a race; ventured off-road? You can quickly change your tyres. Are the police dropping spike strips? You can equip the re-inflating tyres (if you have unlocked them) to counter that. The trouble with this is that the menu reduces visibility and you really need to keep your focus on the road. A quick glance at the menu is all it takes to crash so you need to pick your moments wisely.

The structure of the events is an interesting choice. It is possible to become Most Wanted without having completed most of the races. This then leaves you will little incentive, other than a completion percentage and a trophy to drive you towards completing the other events. I am at 93% complete but I’ve certainly lost interest at times in trying to finish off. A better progression model would have been very welcome.

Autlog is back in the shape of Autolog 2. I can’t comment much on it as mine is empty. I have 3 friends who have this game, 2 of which have played a lot of it but unfortunately they all have the Vita version. They have missed a trick with this PS3 and Vita connectivity, all I can see is there overall speed points when what I really want to see is their race times. The Autolog also records the speed recorded by the speed cameras but the most interesting one, I feel, is the distance jumped through the billboards. If you have record the furthest distance then your friends will see your PSN avatar in the billboard. I beleive those with the PS3 camera will be able to replace that with a photo of your smug face.

The multiplayer mode is very similar to Burnout Paradise. You have a variety of events to participate in and there is a nice mix of race events and challenges, individual and team based. This presents a chance to play properly as well as do some of the fun stuff like all try to land on a roof. The trouble becomes with the mentality or your companions. I’ve found the simple act of meeting up at the desired locaton is too much for some. Team challenges are nigh on impossible at times. It is very good if you get the right people.

NSF Most Wanted is an excellent game but it doesn’t reach the heights of Burnout Paradise or NFS Hot Pursuit. Come on EA, let Citerion loose on Burnout Paradise 2.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.