GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should Games Mags Advertise for their console?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/09/00 at 23:10
Regular
We all know where Sega is failing and Sony catches them up, it's not hardware or good games, it's advertising. So with Sega still refusing to advertise their hardware to the masses on public TV, should someone else take over?
The games magazines rely on enough people to own the console so that they can sell their magazines, so why don't they help Sega to advertise the console? 'But they would have to get the permission' you say, ahh...but they could advertise the games they review, obviously stating which console they are on (I mean...how obvious it that!) It would make people more aware of what software is available and that there is an established fan/userbase out there already.
As the games magazines are also interested in selling bucket loads of their product, so it makes sense. With this in mind, Special Reserve and other games sellers could also advertise on TV, for the same reasons. As long as they mentioned this forum "Free games to all" I think they could do a lot of business!!!
Tue 26/09/00 at 18:07
lol! and will th message go down down and down and then be written in petrol fuel or as crop circle on the ground!
Tue 26/09/00 at 17:38
Regular
It would probably end up as SEGAARRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!
If you wrote what you said.
Tue 26/09/00 at 17:31
I would say it would definate be memorable, but how many times would you have to do it for everyone to be able to see it? Looks cool, but I think youd have to set the plane on fire to do it!
Mon 25/09/00 at 19:21
Regular
I think skywriting:
SEGA! ADVERTISE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!
would be enough advertising for a long, long time.
Mon 25/09/00 at 18:42
The reason why Sega have not advertised on TV is that it is so expensive to advertise over here that they cannot afford to do so, as Sega Europe is a small company compared to the overseas branches. I dont think that theyll listen if you fly past Sega Towers, but why not skywrite it?
Mon 25/09/00 at 18:39
Sony advertise on TV, now this may be because they have a big bag of money and everyone else doesn't, but Sony get more playstations and games sold this way. Sega have advertised...all of two or three adverts then nothing, nada, zip etc...and how many people STILL don't know about the Dreamcast, hm!?
Sega have messed up on advertising on TV, yes they advertise on the internet and in magazines, but most of the people who see it either have a Dreamcast or know about them. Someone needs to go up to Sega's house, knock on their door and then sit them down and explain the concept of getting people to know their product. My plan is to get a big plane to fly past Sega towers with a messege attached: "Hello! Sega! A D V E R T I S E" that should do it!
Mon 25/09/00 at 13:52
The problem with advertising is that it is rediculously expensive to advertise on TV, and as games companies are looking at advertising at a specific area and there is not many computer games related TV programmes, where it would be best to advertise, it is too pricey to advertise on TV, thats why companies tend to advertise in magazines- so that the message is got to as many people as possible with as little cost is possible. The internet is a young media for advertising, but as usage grows, as will the amount of advertising(I hate pop-ups though.)
Mon 25/09/00 at 13:30
Regular
Most magazines have adverts on shops that send by mail.
Sega has rarely advertised their console for a long time since it came out. Different kinds of magazines do advertise the games inside the mags.
They are using the internet a lot more to advertise their games. A good example is the Perfect Dark one.
Sun 24/09/00 at 23:10
We all know where Sega is failing and Sony catches them up, it's not hardware or good games, it's advertising. So with Sega still refusing to advertise their hardware to the masses on public TV, should someone else take over?
The games magazines rely on enough people to own the console so that they can sell their magazines, so why don't they help Sega to advertise the console? 'But they would have to get the permission' you say, ahh...but they could advertise the games they review, obviously stating which console they are on (I mean...how obvious it that!) It would make people more aware of what software is available and that there is an established fan/userbase out there already.
As the games magazines are also interested in selling bucket loads of their product, so it makes sense. With this in mind, Special Reserve and other games sellers could also advertise on TV, for the same reasons. As long as they mentioned this forum "Free games to all" I think they could do a lot of business!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.