GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Driving"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/09/07 at 22:19
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
A quick search of Freeola using Hmmm's Googlified search facility found that a topic like this hasn't been done, apparently. The closest matches pretty much only asked what sort of car you drive, if any.

So I thought this'd be a good discussionism.

It wasn't the most important thing on my mind today during the events of today which gave me the idea for this topic, but now I'm nice and safe indoors.

One of my mates, who is approximately two years younger than me, passed his driving test not too long ago, probably less than two months ago. Anyway, Anywho, he wanted me to join him with some other people to have a few matches on their PS2, as well as a few games of poker. We do play for money, but barely anything. We find that if you don't play for money, poker gets really boring and isn't worth it because you can just continue without worry of losing any money.

Well, to get there, he offered to drive. This was the first time I'd ever ridden in the car whilst he was driving. And I have to say, I think I'll find my own way there next time.

I really don't know how he passed - speeding, far too close to the car in front, turning late, braking late, braking too hard, accelerating away really quickly and unsmoothly, struggling to keep the car straight on a long road, using the accelerator for ages and making the car roar before lifting the clutch to get going ...

So anyway, that got me thinking, what's your driving like? What do you drive? What are your (least) favourite roads? Got any interesting stories about driving? Ever crashed? Are there any particular people, or types of people, who you think shouldn't be on the road? What do you think about the current laws about restrictions? Do you think regular re-tests would be a good idea?

Discuss.
Fri 21/09/07 at 22:19
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
A quick search of Freeola using Hmmm's Googlified search facility found that a topic like this hasn't been done, apparently. The closest matches pretty much only asked what sort of car you drive, if any.

So I thought this'd be a good discussionism.

It wasn't the most important thing on my mind today during the events of today which gave me the idea for this topic, but now I'm nice and safe indoors.

One of my mates, who is approximately two years younger than me, passed his driving test not too long ago, probably less than two months ago. Anyway, Anywho, he wanted me to join him with some other people to have a few matches on their PS2, as well as a few games of poker. We do play for money, but barely anything. We find that if you don't play for money, poker gets really boring and isn't worth it because you can just continue without worry of losing any money.

Well, to get there, he offered to drive. This was the first time I'd ever ridden in the car whilst he was driving. And I have to say, I think I'll find my own way there next time.

I really don't know how he passed - speeding, far too close to the car in front, turning late, braking late, braking too hard, accelerating away really quickly and unsmoothly, struggling to keep the car straight on a long road, using the accelerator for ages and making the car roar before lifting the clutch to get going ...

So anyway, that got me thinking, what's your driving like? What do you drive? What are your (least) favourite roads? Got any interesting stories about driving? Ever crashed? Are there any particular people, or types of people, who you think shouldn't be on the road? What do you think about the current laws about restrictions? Do you think regular re-tests would be a good idea?

Discuss.
Sat 22/09/07 at 09:50
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Considering how many teenagers/oldies kill or get killed in cars I'd introduce driving tests at 21 and ban anyone over 70.

I'd also be tempted to stick 30mph limiters on all vehicles, tear up motorways (drive on the M1 at 30mph for any length of time and there's a serious risk of falling asleep) then use the rubble to shore up sea-defences and plant lots of trees and wind-turbines in the remaining space.

Then do a Ming Campbell and phase out petrol-driven cars, but I'd go further and introduce electric (whilst of course investing in a battery recharging company on the side).

I sold my last car (a snazzy BMW 325i M3) in 1992 and haven't driven since. I don't miss it in the least and you do eventually get used to sitting next to the wierdo every day on public transport.

In my 9 years of driving, which included multi-drop deliveries all over the UK, I'm happy to say I never had an accident (plenty of near misses due to stupidity though) and my favourite stretch of road is the A5 between Pont Rhyd-gogh and Pont Pen-y-benglog in North Wales.
Sat 22/09/07 at 12:16
Regular
"you've got a beard"
drive lots.
been in a few accidents.
i like the a272 between midhurst and petworth
loathe the a34 because people seem intent on crashing every friday when i`m trying to get home from work.

motorways should be limit free (or at least raise it to 100) and insurance should be optional (perhaps if YOU had to pay for any damage, people would be more careful)

basically, i like road anarchy :D
Sat 22/09/07 at 18:46
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I don't really drive all that much. I drive my dad's van, see, so I can't really use it all the time. I'll occasionally use it to see mates, but it's mostly to collect or deliver things, or for moving anything that's too big to fit in the car.

I have had a knock or two, but not many. But saying that, I haven't been driving long. The most memorable was when I had to stop just before a narrow bridge to let a big lorry over it - you have to give way to them. And there was this old man tailgating me. Naturally, I can't continue no matter how close he is, so I stop, and he hits me up the back. In the van, too, there are no rear windows and no rear view mirror, so when people et too close, I can't see them anyway, but meh, wasn't my fault.

My most hated roads are the really narrow ones, especially the ones where you can't find a spot to pull in to let a car through. In particular I hate the B1354, because it's very narrow with stone walls in places where houses are. It's also a fast road and is windy, and despite being narrow, is over-used by huge lorries and tractors.
Sat 22/09/07 at 22:25
Regular
"hulagadoo"
I've only been driving since April but now I dont think I could handle not having the motor. I still feel myself getting a bit nervous in heavy traffic and just last week I had a near miss, got confused at a set of lights there were two that were green and one red so I proceeded not knowing that the red light was intended to stop me and I nearly hit an oncoming car - learn from the mistakes though.

One thing that really frustrates me though is the lack of signals by some people on roundabouts and people who cut you up. Ive discovered the police can be either really stuck up or really nice. I've been stopped twice since I passed and it's really annoying. Once I got stopped and breathalised for cutting a corner and the only reason I done it was because I noticed a wee pile of broken glass. Got the usual crap about wether or not the car I was driving was my own but the guy was really nice unlike the other breast that stopped me for doing a "suspicious" 3-point turn in a place that I got lost in. He started asking questions like where I was going and didnt believe that I was just out for a wee drive and I got lost so I was just turning to backtrack and find my way again. He shoved me in the back of the car and was on a total power trip.
Sat 22/09/07 at 22:39
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
gr13ve wrote:
> He shoved me in the back of the car and was on a total power trip.

What? His car or yours? Who drove then?

I've never been pulled over. I've seen quite a few police cars driving about and stuff, but never been pulled over.

I like the reputation one of my mates has with the police. They often ignore him even if he does stupid things. See, he drives a Vauxhall Omega, which is what the police used to drive. Not sure if they still do though - I think they've moved on to Ford Focuses now. Not sure. But also, his dad works for the police anyway.
Sat 22/09/07 at 22:44
Regular
"hulagadoo"
Hehe, his car. Put me there while he carried out all the checks on insurance ect.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.