GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] NiGHTS into Dreams"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Nights Into Dreams'.
Thu 25/10/12 at 10:54
"possibly impossible"
“In a dream I can see, you are not far away” So goes the lyrics for the main theme for Sonic Team’s NiGHTS in to Dreams. It’s fitting, then, that I’ve been waiting (and dreaming) for the original game to see a re-release. In Japan they got a PS2 release, but in the west we’ve had to wait until now for the dream to be realised.

The HD version is pretty much the PS2 game tided up with a few bells and whistles (and Achievements/Trophies). The fact that there’s a Saturn version in the menu, allowing players to take a look at how the game would look on their HD TVs if SEGA hadn’t updated it. Yes, the edges have been smoothed and the quality improved enough to stretch the picture out to the full screen, but it’s really not a radical departure. Which is just as well. The game has a certain style and grace that may feel compromised by any attempt to add to it. Instead it just looks like a slightly nicer version of the original.

The story centers on the dream worlds of Nightopia and Nightmare, the good and bad worlds where human dreams are played out. The ruler of the Nightmare realm, Wizeman the Wicked, is taking over Nightopia. His 2 henchmen, Reala and NiGHTS, guard the Nightmare world. NiGHTS realises how bad Wizeman’s plan is and defects, planning to save Nightopia from his rule. Meanwhile, two children, Claris and Elliot, who are both suffering from nightmares caused by stressful events during the previous day, find themselves in Nightopia and are enlisted by NiGHTS to free Nightopia.

The game is made up of 4 levels for each child. At the beginning of each level the children have their Ideyas, globes representing their personalities, stolen. Freeing Nightopia involves taking on the form of NiGHTS in order to fly around collecting blue orbs to open the cage of the Ideya in each stage. After 4 stages, all set in different areas of the same level, there is a boss battle which usually involves pushing or smashing into the enemy within a set time limit.

The flying takes a little getting used to, but feels great once you get the hang of diving and climbing in the air over obstacles and through hoops. Creating a loop will gather anything inside it and entering hoops in the air will add points to your score. Certain areas will change the perspective or let you fly into the background of the screen, giving the stage a new level of depth previously unseen in platform games. Once you've freed the idea, the game encourages a further trip around the course to gather as many points as possible in order to get a high score and a mark from A to F. Only when you unlock a C or above over all 4 courses will you be allowed to continue to the next level and to the final boss, the Nightmarian Reala, a sort of mirror version of NiGHTS.

There’s little in the way of explanation to the goal or how to get the best grades in each level, but it soon becomes apparent that collecting everything and circling every spinning loop is required in order to reach those elusive high scores and go after the A grade. Once you've got the score, though, there’s still a lot to take in and it’s possible to find new hidden features that you missed on the first 10 playthroughs.

If you need a further excuse to aim for the top, higher scores are rewarded with higher marks and will also unlock items in the Presents section of the main menu. A theatre shows the videos gathered from the story mode, there’s a jukebox style option for listening to the iconic music from the game and artwork can be unlocked to play in a slideshow, including the duet-based theme song that will stay in your head long after you put down the controller (like, over 10 years later). There are also Achievements up for grabs, some of which will require quite a bit of work to unlock.

Finally, for those of us, like me, who've spent past Christmases playing through the promotional game that came on the front of Sega Saturn Magazine as a free gift, Christmas NiGHTS is unlocked at certain times of the year. Bearing in mind that Christmas NiGHTS is one of the reasons I still have a Saturn and that it gets wheeled out during Christmas, it’s a great treat for fans of the game. Unfortunately, it’s not the full game and doesn’t seem to stretch to having the special Sonic level as far as I can tell, but it does mean that at certain times throughout the year the game will suddenly throw up new level designs and characters.

NiGHTS into Dreams is a little piece of gaming history that still has the power to delight new players and will thrill those who’ve waited so long for the game to appear on the current generation of consoles. It’s unique even by today’s standards and you can’t say that about many games.

9/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 25/10/12 at 10:54
"possibly impossible"
“In a dream I can see, you are not far away” So goes the lyrics for the main theme for Sonic Team’s NiGHTS in to Dreams. It’s fitting, then, that I’ve been waiting (and dreaming) for the original game to see a re-release. In Japan they got a PS2 release, but in the west we’ve had to wait until now for the dream to be realised.

The HD version is pretty much the PS2 game tided up with a few bells and whistles (and Achievements/Trophies). The fact that there’s a Saturn version in the menu, allowing players to take a look at how the game would look on their HD TVs if SEGA hadn’t updated it. Yes, the edges have been smoothed and the quality improved enough to stretch the picture out to the full screen, but it’s really not a radical departure. Which is just as well. The game has a certain style and grace that may feel compromised by any attempt to add to it. Instead it just looks like a slightly nicer version of the original.

The story centers on the dream worlds of Nightopia and Nightmare, the good and bad worlds where human dreams are played out. The ruler of the Nightmare realm, Wizeman the Wicked, is taking over Nightopia. His 2 henchmen, Reala and NiGHTS, guard the Nightmare world. NiGHTS realises how bad Wizeman’s plan is and defects, planning to save Nightopia from his rule. Meanwhile, two children, Claris and Elliot, who are both suffering from nightmares caused by stressful events during the previous day, find themselves in Nightopia and are enlisted by NiGHTS to free Nightopia.

The game is made up of 4 levels for each child. At the beginning of each level the children have their Ideyas, globes representing their personalities, stolen. Freeing Nightopia involves taking on the form of NiGHTS in order to fly around collecting blue orbs to open the cage of the Ideya in each stage. After 4 stages, all set in different areas of the same level, there is a boss battle which usually involves pushing or smashing into the enemy within a set time limit.

The flying takes a little getting used to, but feels great once you get the hang of diving and climbing in the air over obstacles and through hoops. Creating a loop will gather anything inside it and entering hoops in the air will add points to your score. Certain areas will change the perspective or let you fly into the background of the screen, giving the stage a new level of depth previously unseen in platform games. Once you've freed the idea, the game encourages a further trip around the course to gather as many points as possible in order to get a high score and a mark from A to F. Only when you unlock a C or above over all 4 courses will you be allowed to continue to the next level and to the final boss, the Nightmarian Reala, a sort of mirror version of NiGHTS.

There’s little in the way of explanation to the goal or how to get the best grades in each level, but it soon becomes apparent that collecting everything and circling every spinning loop is required in order to reach those elusive high scores and go after the A grade. Once you've got the score, though, there’s still a lot to take in and it’s possible to find new hidden features that you missed on the first 10 playthroughs.

If you need a further excuse to aim for the top, higher scores are rewarded with higher marks and will also unlock items in the Presents section of the main menu. A theatre shows the videos gathered from the story mode, there’s a jukebox style option for listening to the iconic music from the game and artwork can be unlocked to play in a slideshow, including the duet-based theme song that will stay in your head long after you put down the controller (like, over 10 years later). There are also Achievements up for grabs, some of which will require quite a bit of work to unlock.

Finally, for those of us, like me, who've spent past Christmases playing through the promotional game that came on the front of Sega Saturn Magazine as a free gift, Christmas NiGHTS is unlocked at certain times of the year. Bearing in mind that Christmas NiGHTS is one of the reasons I still have a Saturn and that it gets wheeled out during Christmas, it’s a great treat for fans of the game. Unfortunately, it’s not the full game and doesn’t seem to stretch to having the special Sonic level as far as I can tell, but it does mean that at certain times throughout the year the game will suddenly throw up new level designs and characters.

NiGHTS into Dreams is a little piece of gaming history that still has the power to delight new players and will thrill those who’ve waited so long for the game to appear on the current generation of consoles. It’s unique even by today’s standards and you can’t say that about many games.

9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.