GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"L.A. Noire"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'L.A. Noire'.
Wed 24/10/12 at 05:00
Regular
"How Ironic"
L.A. Noire is a interactive action game developed by Team Bondi. It’s most well-known for its vintage looking black and white graphics, similar to those found in games like The Saboteur, as well as being very movie-like, with a lot of the players actions being inputted via a single button press, much like Heavy Rain. The game is based in Los Angeles in 1947, and the user plays as Cole Phelps, an officer for the LAPD.

The game aesthetically, as mentioned, stems in most part from film noire with atmospheres surrounding dull lighting and bland colouring (the player can also choose to play the game in black and white as homage to true film noire). The story bases itself upon periodic themes of film noire that mostly include moral issues (sex, drugs, violence). Some of the storylines from the missions are also loosely based on programs of the time.

The game both visually and interactively relies heavily on MotionScan technology for its characters facial expressions. The method used involved filming a person from 32 different angles and processing each angle into one CGI animation. This was essential for the game as the entire game revolves around interviews and interrogations and the player must rely on not only facts and evidence to progress, but the AI characters reactions to questions to ascertain whether the character is lying or telling the truth.

I thoroughly enjoyed playing through this game. The gameplay cannot be labeled as unique because as previously mentioned; Heavy Rain is a game which has relied on being more of an interactive movie than a game. I felt with Heavy Rain that the interactivity was so bland (pressing one button each time) that even the most menial tasks required input, such as opening a car door or twisting a door handle. L.A. Noire does not go overkill on single button presses. Instead, you can initiate chase sequences, both on foot or driving, explore the world and interact with various aspects of the environment. It feels much more open in comparison. Put it this way, you can actually aim and shoot in this game, instead of pressing a series of buttons.

One thing that will get to the player eventually is the repetitiveness of the gameplay. Every mission is very similar. Inspecting the crime scene for clues, interviewing eye witnesses, driving to a specific location; yes you may say “Well you’ve just described exactly what a detective does”, but maybe the longevity of this type of game is just not viable. However, an aspect I do admire from this game is that the player does have to think. You can easily miss clues, offend or scare a witness and thus miss information or just plain do the mission wrong. The player has to immerse themselves within the game world, or they won’t be able to link up clues and evidence with the facts.

In conclusion, L.A. Noire is one of these games that you can pick up and put down because the game can essentially be split into missions. The storyline is much diluted most of the time because it’s more of a background distraction rather than the gameplay revolving around it. It can be fun to just load it up complete an investigation and finish. The game is also not too taxing on the player most of the time. There is no rush for the most part; it requires intellect and intuition rather than fast fingers, which makes it open to several generations of gamers, well stereotypically anyway! If you enjoy a decent story, interactivity, and a stylized set of graphics, you’ll love this game.
Wed 24/10/12 at 05:00
Regular
"How Ironic"
L.A. Noire is a interactive action game developed by Team Bondi. It’s most well-known for its vintage looking black and white graphics, similar to those found in games like The Saboteur, as well as being very movie-like, with a lot of the players actions being inputted via a single button press, much like Heavy Rain. The game is based in Los Angeles in 1947, and the user plays as Cole Phelps, an officer for the LAPD.

The game aesthetically, as mentioned, stems in most part from film noire with atmospheres surrounding dull lighting and bland colouring (the player can also choose to play the game in black and white as homage to true film noire). The story bases itself upon periodic themes of film noire that mostly include moral issues (sex, drugs, violence). Some of the storylines from the missions are also loosely based on programs of the time.

The game both visually and interactively relies heavily on MotionScan technology for its characters facial expressions. The method used involved filming a person from 32 different angles and processing each angle into one CGI animation. This was essential for the game as the entire game revolves around interviews and interrogations and the player must rely on not only facts and evidence to progress, but the AI characters reactions to questions to ascertain whether the character is lying or telling the truth.

I thoroughly enjoyed playing through this game. The gameplay cannot be labeled as unique because as previously mentioned; Heavy Rain is a game which has relied on being more of an interactive movie than a game. I felt with Heavy Rain that the interactivity was so bland (pressing one button each time) that even the most menial tasks required input, such as opening a car door or twisting a door handle. L.A. Noire does not go overkill on single button presses. Instead, you can initiate chase sequences, both on foot or driving, explore the world and interact with various aspects of the environment. It feels much more open in comparison. Put it this way, you can actually aim and shoot in this game, instead of pressing a series of buttons.

One thing that will get to the player eventually is the repetitiveness of the gameplay. Every mission is very similar. Inspecting the crime scene for clues, interviewing eye witnesses, driving to a specific location; yes you may say “Well you’ve just described exactly what a detective does”, but maybe the longevity of this type of game is just not viable. However, an aspect I do admire from this game is that the player does have to think. You can easily miss clues, offend or scare a witness and thus miss information or just plain do the mission wrong. The player has to immerse themselves within the game world, or they won’t be able to link up clues and evidence with the facts.

In conclusion, L.A. Noire is one of these games that you can pick up and put down because the game can essentially be split into missions. The storyline is much diluted most of the time because it’s more of a background distraction rather than the gameplay revolving around it. It can be fun to just load it up complete an investigation and finish. The game is also not too taxing on the player most of the time. There is no rush for the most part; it requires intellect and intuition rather than fast fingers, which makes it open to several generations of gamers, well stereotypically anyway! If you enjoy a decent story, interactivity, and a stylized set of graphics, you’ll love this game.
Fri 26/10/12 at 20:39
Regular
I'm currently playing through this and you've pretty much got it bang on there 'Chris'. Great review for an interesting game.

:)
Sat 27/10/12 at 00:09
Regular
"How Ironic"
Thanks man :-)

Yeah, despite the negative points I've mentioned, I still love this game. However, I'm currently addicted to Deus Ex, will probably review that soon.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.