GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBOX newbie question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/10/12 at 17:33
"Are you sure?"
My son has just announced he wants to buy an XBOX so he can join his mates in a game (he's currently a PS3 user).

He was planning on buying a second-hand one but has just told me he 'thought' he had bought a new 4gb version on Amazon for £99.
But he's just had an email saying it's out of stock and his order has been cancelled - even though the Amazon trader is still showing them in stock but now for £130 !?!

I know nothing about XBOX consoles.
A quick read shows 4gb or 250gb - with the 4gb one being a flashdrive and the 250gb one a hard drive

Can someone that knows about these things say which version is the one to go for?

Thanks.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 07/10/12 at 17:33
"Are you sure?"
My son has just announced he wants to buy an XBOX so he can join his mates in a game (he's currently a PS3 user).

He was planning on buying a second-hand one but has just told me he 'thought' he had bought a new 4gb version on Amazon for £99.
But he's just had an email saying it's out of stock and his order has been cancelled - even though the Amazon trader is still showing them in stock but now for £130 !?!

I know nothing about XBOX consoles.
A quick read shows 4gb or 250gb - with the 4gb one being a flashdrive and the 250gb one a hard drive

Can someone that knows about these things say which version is the one to go for?

Thanks.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 07/10/12 at 17:53
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Hi Hmmm

I'm an Xbox user myself (I have one of the older style machines with a 120GB hard drive)

The 4GB flash drive is technically quicker (in the same way puting an SSD in your PC or Mac makes it quicker) BUT if he wants to buy a game through Xbox live for example he'll find he quickly runs out of space (for example Fifa 13 weighs in at around 6.5GB although you can use USB flash drives to augment the storage.

New ones come in at around 194-229, personally I'd buy new rather than used as there's always the possibility the machine has been barred from Xbox live (and MS don't normally reverse a barring which is normally imposed if its detected the machine is running hacked code so it can run pirated disks for example)

As for what has happened to your Son it sounds a tad fishy to me.
Sun 07/10/12 at 17:59
Regular
"How Ironic"
I'd encourage him to become a PC gamer ;-D
Sun 07/10/12 at 18:22
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for the replies.

I've suggested it's best to save up for a new one.
Amazon have 4gb at £148 and 250gb at £174 - what would you lot go for?

And I agree the Amazon trader that cancelled the order is obviously iffy!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

EDIT: @Sonic wait until you have kids!!! :¬P
Sun 07/10/12 at 18:44
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Personally I'd go for the 250GB myself
Sun 07/10/12 at 18:46
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
EDIT: @Sonic wait until you have kids!!! :¬P

Kids are kids and you are you Hmmm ... so go for the 250Gb Hard Drive :¬)
Sun 07/10/12 at 19:01
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Oh, sorry Hmmm ... you will also need a 32" TV to go with it! (Best size according to my sources) ;¬)
Sun 07/10/12 at 19:59
Regular
"How Ironic"
I can't stand kids to be honest. Hopefully that changes one day, I don't know, maybe you like your own better than others? But I hate children.
Sun 07/10/12 at 20:46
"possibly impossible"
A) second hand Xbox's are a no-no. After all the issues they've had it's not worth the risk.

The slim models are quieter, more reliable and look far better.

B) you need one with a large hard drive, games soon take up lots of space and Xbox Live Arcade have some good weekly sales.

You can get £8 off an £80 spend at The Hut with code: EARLYBIRD8. If that helps.
Sun 07/10/12 at 21:03
Regular
"I like turtles"
Hi Hmmm,

I would definitely go for the 250GB HDD model and would also buy it new. this seems a good deal for £170.

One thing I would add though is if your son intends to connect it wirelessly the built in wi-fi adapters on the new 360's can be a little temperamental in my experience. I connect mine using homeplugs (as it happens, the very same ones as I listed in the bargain thread this morning!) when I play online.

Also If he intends to get a Kinect controller at any point be aware of just how much clear space you require to use them (especially 2 player games). I was genuinely surprised when I bought one for my daughter, we have to clear out our front room to use the damn thing.

One more thing, once your son starts mixing with the XBL rabble don't be too surprised if his previously adored PS3 is suddenly............ ''gay''...

Hope this helps :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.