GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Transformers: Fall of Cybertron"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Transformers: Fall of Cybertron'.
Fri 05/10/12 at 17:49
"possibly impossible"
After wowing long term Transformers fans with War On Cybertron, High Moon have managed to do it yet again with their explosive sequel, Fall Of Cybertron, focusing on the last days of the Autobots and Decepticons homeworld and the infamous events that brought them to Earth.

First, a little knowledge for those of you that haven't been following Optimus Prime and co for very long. The early Transformers, toy line, cartoon and comics, were all subject to a continuity (well, most of the time) that was referred to as Generation 1 or G1, subsequent changes to the story and characters were labelled G2 etc until the Michael Bay films which fans just labelled '?'

This game tries to stay faithful to the G1 continuity, but has to slightly divert from this to explain the appearence of one of the most important characters; Grimlock, leader of the Dinobots. It still manages to do this with panache, though, through a piece of genius writing that has Shockwave experimenting on Transformers in a way that will surprise you.

Also introduced is Metroplex, a huge towering Autobot who can pretty much stomp out the opposition with a single stride. Again, the reveal is excellently handled and there's a neat way of avoiding the pitfall of having a single character who could manage to wipe out everyone if he wanted.

The Decepticons have their own weapons too, of course, which you'll meet both in battle and when you play through the Decepticon campaign, but this time around things seem a little more mixed up with the campaigns than in the first game, though it works to the story's strengths.

Still, it's Grimlock that manages to steal the show with his fire breathing recklessness, though Optimus is still the main focus of the campaign here.

Recharging and finding new weapons are all back with the return of the Teletran 1 systems and changing your weapon loadouts becomes a necessity as the game progresses, with some guns being more useful on certain enemies. These are all bought with energon tokens, picked up from dead enemies and from random objects that can be smashed on your journey. There are also weapon pods that can be opened for a cost and may reveal even more weapons, as well as blueprints that can be collected.

Graphically, Fall of Cybertron has a little more going on than the last game, but it's pretty much the same level of detail. Transformations are still impressive and the game copes well with allowing you some freedom in flight or driving mode while keeping to the game area.

Sound, too, is re-assuringly authentic to the old series, including both those ch-ch-ch-ch-ch transforming noises, Peter Cullen's gravelly Optimus providing the gravitas and original Grimlock Gregg Berger back in his starring role (probably wearing a 'Me Grimlock' T-Shirt as he snarled out the famous lines).

The campaign doesn't last forever, though and you'll be wishing there was just a little more, though multiplayer is fun, if a little short on modes.

Multiplayer does provide the ability to stretch your legs a little and let the characters use their vehicle modes more, something that the main story doesn't really do all that much.

Transformers: Fall Of Cybertron is another great nod to the fans from High Moon Studios and it really seems to be a labour of love from developers who are G1 fans themselves.

Last words? Me Grimlock, me love dis game.

8/10
Sat 20/10/12 at 14:51
Regular
"How Ironic"
asskicker!! wrote:
Yea it seems Transformers FOC is a awesome one....but I think its gameplay n graphics r much similiar to Transformers WFC....only a few difference(I think) !!in my opinion Transformers WFC is jus more better than Transformers FOC!!in fact TWOC is my fav game !!

That's how you write a review pb ;-P
Sat 20/10/12 at 12:52
Regular
"get off MOF !!"
Yea it seems Transformers FOC is a awesome one....but I think its gameplay n graphics r much similiar to Transformers WFC....only a few difference(I think) !!in my opinion Transformers WFC is jus more better than Transformers FOC!!in fact TWOC is my fav game !!
Fri 05/10/12 at 17:49
"possibly impossible"
After wowing long term Transformers fans with War On Cybertron, High Moon have managed to do it yet again with their explosive sequel, Fall Of Cybertron, focusing on the last days of the Autobots and Decepticons homeworld and the infamous events that brought them to Earth.

First, a little knowledge for those of you that haven't been following Optimus Prime and co for very long. The early Transformers, toy line, cartoon and comics, were all subject to a continuity (well, most of the time) that was referred to as Generation 1 or G1, subsequent changes to the story and characters were labelled G2 etc until the Michael Bay films which fans just labelled '?'

This game tries to stay faithful to the G1 continuity, but has to slightly divert from this to explain the appearence of one of the most important characters; Grimlock, leader of the Dinobots. It still manages to do this with panache, though, through a piece of genius writing that has Shockwave experimenting on Transformers in a way that will surprise you.

Also introduced is Metroplex, a huge towering Autobot who can pretty much stomp out the opposition with a single stride. Again, the reveal is excellently handled and there's a neat way of avoiding the pitfall of having a single character who could manage to wipe out everyone if he wanted.

The Decepticons have their own weapons too, of course, which you'll meet both in battle and when you play through the Decepticon campaign, but this time around things seem a little more mixed up with the campaigns than in the first game, though it works to the story's strengths.

Still, it's Grimlock that manages to steal the show with his fire breathing recklessness, though Optimus is still the main focus of the campaign here.

Recharging and finding new weapons are all back with the return of the Teletran 1 systems and changing your weapon loadouts becomes a necessity as the game progresses, with some guns being more useful on certain enemies. These are all bought with energon tokens, picked up from dead enemies and from random objects that can be smashed on your journey. There are also weapon pods that can be opened for a cost and may reveal even more weapons, as well as blueprints that can be collected.

Graphically, Fall of Cybertron has a little more going on than the last game, but it's pretty much the same level of detail. Transformations are still impressive and the game copes well with allowing you some freedom in flight or driving mode while keeping to the game area.

Sound, too, is re-assuringly authentic to the old series, including both those ch-ch-ch-ch-ch transforming noises, Peter Cullen's gravelly Optimus providing the gravitas and original Grimlock Gregg Berger back in his starring role (probably wearing a 'Me Grimlock' T-Shirt as he snarled out the famous lines).

The campaign doesn't last forever, though and you'll be wishing there was just a little more, though multiplayer is fun, if a little short on modes.

Multiplayer does provide the ability to stretch your legs a little and let the characters use their vehicle modes more, something that the main story doesn't really do all that much.

Transformers: Fall Of Cybertron is another great nod to the fans from High Moon Studios and it really seems to be a labour of love from developers who are G1 fans themselves.

Last words? Me Grimlock, me love dis game.

8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.