GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cleaning N64 carts - HELP"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/02/02 at 11:22
Regular
Does anyone out there know of a way I can clean N64 carts without damaging them??

Look at the part where it connects with the console, and you'll see 4 silver bits on each side. Some of these on 2 of my new games are a bit dirty, and need cleaning as nothing happens when they're plugged into the console.

I know this is the problem as I look at my other carts and see that those parts are clean, and they therefore work.

I thought maybe I could use a tiny toothbrush-like thing or maybe a cotton bud??

Do any of you have any helpfull suggestions??
Please?? I'm desperate to start playing them!
Sat 23/02/02 at 11:22
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Does anyone out there know of a way I can clean N64 carts without damaging them??

Look at the part where it connects with the console, and you'll see 4 silver bits on each side. Some of these on 2 of my new games are a bit dirty, and need cleaning as nothing happens when they're plugged into the console.

I know this is the problem as I look at my other carts and see that those parts are clean, and they therefore work.

I thought maybe I could use a tiny toothbrush-like thing or maybe a cotton bud??

Do any of you have any helpfull suggestions??
Please?? I'm desperate to start playing them!
Sat 23/02/02 at 12:03
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Occasionally when I buy a pre-owned N64 game they don't work. What I do is wrap a hanky around one of my keys and wipe up and down the contacts quite hard. Somehow some people managed to get loads of kak stuck on the contacts. Just try n wipe it off. Normally I don't worry about damaging them more, I think there probably able to take quite a bit of force, plus if it ever still didn't work after I'd done it, I just take it back n say it didn't work.

:)
Sat 23/02/02 at 12:14
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Thanks Cooky, i'll try that in a moment.
And i'm still confident I can get the games working!!
The metal from the keys shouldn't effect it should it??
Sat 23/02/02 at 12:31
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Solskjær_24 wrote:

> The metal from the keys shouldn't effect it should it??

Dunno, that's why I wrapped my handkerchief around my key. Should stop the metal scratchin' against each other, and help get the muk off.
Oh and I use the flat backside of the key. Not the jaggered front side.

:)
Sat 23/02/02 at 12:45
Regular
Give em a good blow that always seems to work.

Hur hur blow.
Sat 23/02/02 at 12:52
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I tried blowing on them and that only got rid of the dust. There's still some stuff stuck on the metal parts.
Sat 23/02/02 at 17:47
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Thanks Cooky, I tried the key thing and it worked!
Now I can play Zelda: OoT and Mario Kart 64, whenever I like (except school) and with whoever I want!
Sat 23/02/02 at 18:28
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Give em a good blow that always seems to work.

I do that
Sat 23/02/02 at 18:40
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Tiltawhirl wrote:

Hur hur blow.

I remember doing that back in the days of the NES and SNES!

:o
Sun 24/02/02 at 13:42
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Cooky wrote:
> Tiltawhirl wrote:

Hur
> hur blow.

I remember doing that back in the days of the NES and
> SNES!

:o

And mega drive. My neighbour does that and when he blows he gobs all over the cartridge!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.