GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Speed Test Beta"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/10/12 at 23:06
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Disclaimer:

"This Beta site has been set up to test the functionality of the new BT Wholesale Performance Tester on broadband ("the Trial").
This Site can be used to complete a download speed test on broadband lines however the accuracy of the results are not guaranteed for lines running above 24Mbps. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the results for lines running below 24Mbps, during the Trial, any such results will be indicative only, and do not form part of the applicable BT Wholesale Broadband Services contract.
BT Wholesale will not accept any line speed faults from Communications Providers based on the output of this Beta Speed Tester.
BT Wholesale may change or withdraw this Tester and or end the Trial without notice."

Any comment? ;¬)
Wed 03/10/12 at 23:21
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
motomod wrote:
Hmmm... wrote:
[i]This Freeola tool Line Test looks interesting but for me it's never worked as the first test always reports 100% packet loss. I'm guessing this is due to using a NAT router? - but that's how most people will be connected. If anyone has any tips on making this run (or if it works for them) I'd be interested to hear.

Your router must respond to (edit: external) ping requests, enabling ICMP in your router should allow you to see your results. I think most routers come with this option disabled, especially newer routers.[/i]

Without giving a URL, using pingtest my connection achieves 0% packet loss and a grade A overall. As Hmmm points out, using the Freeola tool, I also get a report of 100% packet loss! I know which one I tend to believe ;¬)

Ping Test
Wed 03/10/12 at 12:18
"Are you sure?"
Thanks motomod.

My trusty old st585v6 has worked wonders on my line over the years - but has a crummy GUI.

It looks like I can use this command in the CLI:

service system ifadd name=PING_RESPONDER group=wan

Perhaps I'll try that another day when I have more time :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 03/10/12 at 10:55
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Hmmm... wrote:
This Freeola tool Line Test looks interesting but for me it's never worked as the first test always reports 100% packet loss. I'm guessing this is due to using a NAT router? - but that's how most people will be connected. If anyone has any tips on making this run (or if it works for them) I'd be interested to hear.

Your router must respond to (edit: external) ping requests, enabling ICMP in your router should allow you to see your results. I think most routers come with this option disabled, especially newer routers.
Wed 03/10/12 at 08:46
"Are you sure?"
DL wrote:
Any comment? ;¬)

I think you may have forgotten to mention the URL?!

I'm guessing you are looking at speedtester.bt.com/beta/

To me, you might as well use any of the other speed test sites out there. www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/speedtest/ mine has some ADSL notes but doesn't give ping latency.

The only reason to use the official 'full fat' BT one: www.speedtester.bt.com is this is the only officially accepted test when reporting faults (FWIW) and the only official way to get a report that contains your IP Profile. I guess BT just introduced the simple speedtest so they could ask people to do a quick test without sending them to a non-BT site to carry it out?

Here's Freeola's Speed Test which also has some useful notes - unlike BT's beta/lite one!

While you are there! :¬) I've been meaning to bring this up for a while.
This Freeola tool Line Test looks interesting but for me it's never worked as the first test always reports 100% packet loss. I'm guessing this is due to using a NAT router? - but that's how most people will be connected. If anyone has any tips on making this run (or if it works for them) I'd be interested to hear.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

EDIT: I've just re-read your thread title.
FYI this 'new' beta/lite test has been around since Sept 2011 ;¬)
Tue 02/10/12 at 23:06
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Disclaimer:

"This Beta site has been set up to test the functionality of the new BT Wholesale Performance Tester on broadband ("the Trial").
This Site can be used to complete a download speed test on broadband lines however the accuracy of the results are not guaranteed for lines running above 24Mbps. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the results for lines running below 24Mbps, during the Trial, any such results will be indicative only, and do not form part of the applicable BT Wholesale Broadband Services contract.
BT Wholesale will not accept any line speed faults from Communications Providers based on the output of this Beta Speed Tester.
BT Wholesale may change or withdraw this Tester and or end the Trial without notice."

Any comment? ;¬)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.