GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lovefilm instant and Freeola "

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/09/12 at 17:18
Regular
"May contain nuts"
One of the reasons I decided to place an order to move my connection to Freeola was the unlimited evenings and weekends.

Now I don't use P2P but do use iPlayer, a bit of gaming via Xbox Live and have been using Netflix up to now.

I'm thinking of changing to Lovefilm instant as they seem to have a wider selection.

Their service automatically uses as much bandwidth as is available whereas Netflix can be set to a certain quality.

My question is am I likely to get a friendly phone call about my usage?

I also ask as looking on the Entanet site you can be classed as a high bandwidth user.

I've never been warned about my usage level on any ISP I use and I don't want to start now.
Mon 01/10/12 at 22:50
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pctech wrote:
I'm no high brow film aficionado, i normally don't have the brain power to be at that time of night!

:¬)
Mon 01/10/12 at 20:45
Regular
"May contain nuts"
I generally just indulge in any chewing gum for the brain I can find when I get in from work (often late these days)

I'm no high brow film aficionado, i normally don't have the brain power to be at that time of night!
Mon 01/10/12 at 19:20
Regular
"I like turtles"
Don't know if this is of any interest but as of next month 3 of the major film studio's are increasing the windows for newly released titles on all subscription based services (both streaming & postal). These studio's are Warner, Universal & 20th Century Fox, as of next month there will be a 56 day window (from normal rental/retail release) for titles released by any of these studios. Sony pictures currently run a month behind with the other remaining studio's expected to follow by introducing similar windows to titles made available for these services.

For people who watch older titles it shouldn't much matter but if you fancy watching the latest releases on the likes of Lovefilm & Netflix it looks like you're going to be in for a 3 month wait.

Pay per view is not effected so if there is something you really fancied watching it will always be available via that method or at the likes of your local Blockbuster.

Just thought I'd mention this as thought it might be relevant to anyone thinking of joining/continuing with their subscriptions for these services.
Mon 01/10/12 at 14:01
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Warhunt wrote:
Your suggested usage would not realistically be an issue on the unlimited evenings and weekends, as I myself do similar sort of usage without going anywhere near what a 'fair usage policy' would consider an issue.

Obviously if you are constantly streaming from 19:00 to 07:00 every night of the week, then this would constitute a 'high user', but I can honestly say that this is very rarely a factor when 'limiting' users (reasons are mentioned in Hmmm...'s notes I believe), which is something we do not tend to do.

Bear in mind that we do offer the ability to monitor usage on a very regular basis through your online control panel. You can view this on a 'near-to-live' basis, to give you an idea on what sort of usage you are using.

You are also given warning via email before going over your usage, to help you avoid incruing extra costs.

That's reassuring, thank you.
Mon 01/10/12 at 12:30
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Your suggested usage would not realistically be an issue on the unlimited evenings and weekends, as I myself do similar sort of usage without going anywhere near what a 'fair usage policy' would consider an issue.

Obviously if you are constantly streaming from 19:00 to 07:00 every night of the week, then this would constitute a 'high user', but I can honestly say that this is very rarely a factor when 'limiting' users (reasons are mentioned in Hmmm...'s notes I believe), which is something we do not tend to do.

Bear in mind that we do offer the ability to monitor usage on a very regular basis through your online control panel. You can view this on a 'near-to-live' basis, to give you an idea on what sort of usage you are using.

You are also given warning via email before going over your usage, to help you avoid incurring extra costs.
Mon 01/10/12 at 09:41
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Hmmm... wrote:
Hi pctech,
I think you are looking at some old data there.
The ALT (anti loss tool) and marking high bandwidth users etc. all stopped on the 4th November 2009!

There are some notes on my node usage page :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Probably am, cheers.

One of my colleagues (who is a heavy P2P user) has been booted from 4 ISPs (with unlimited downloads) due to him heavily loading his connection 24/7 pretty much and is now on the service provided by a satellite broadcaster whose name escapes me :)

I have studied networking and know that network management teams have to ensure noone hogs the resource but there are of course different ways of going about this but of course P2P puts a lot of load on the internal connections too.

I have, up to this point had an inclusive allowance which I'm topped up if required as I used a traffic shaped ISP some time ago (as it was cheap) and the service became all but unusable for basic browsing at peak times and when we had snow.
Mon 01/10/12 at 09:30
"Are you sure?"
Hi pctech,
I think you are looking at some old data there.
The ALT (anti loss tool) and marking high bandwidth users etc. all stopped on the 4th November 2009!

There are some notes on my node usage page :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 01/10/12 at 09:26
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Hmmm interesting.

I did use Tesco DVD rental for a while which they manage and a lot of the disks appear to have seen better days.

Offshored support is a big red flag as far as I'm concerned, particularly if finances are involved, not because I've got anything against the poor souls answering the phones but as you say it tends to be scripted with them having little actual knowledge of what they are doing.

At least Netflix support appears to be in the States (for now at least)

Many thanks for the reply and the tip.
Sun 30/09/12 at 21:49
Regular
"I like turtles"
Hi, and welcome to the forums.

I'm sure one of the Freeola staff will be able to answer your query very soon but I can't see why there should be any problem as peak allowances are very generous and off peak is unlimited. Since they introduced these latest allowances I haven't exceeded my allocation and I stream a bit of sport.

One word of warning regarding Lovefilm though, their customer service is abysmal. The month after I cancelled my subscription they took double payment (when they clearly should not have taken any payment at all) and it took numerous calls/emails to their support team (which seems to be mainly Indian based and totally incompetent) to get the problem sorted.
Sun 30/09/12 at 17:18
Regular
"May contain nuts"
One of the reasons I decided to place an order to move my connection to Freeola was the unlimited evenings and weekends.

Now I don't use P2P but do use iPlayer, a bit of gaming via Xbox Live and have been using Netflix up to now.

I'm thinking of changing to Lovefilm instant as they seem to have a wider selection.

Their service automatically uses as much bandwidth as is available whereas Netflix can be set to a certain quality.

My question is am I likely to get a friendly phone call about my usage?

I also ask as looking on the Entanet site you can be classed as a high bandwidth user.

I've never been warned about my usage level on any ISP I use and I don't want to start now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.