GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Official facts about the PS3"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/02/02 at 23:04
Regular
Ok, so Sony make the PS2, and release it. For months they have had hardware teams working on it, and now these people have no work to do. Options:
1) Fire them all, thus losing all hardware staff for the next console
2) Find them something to do.

So, as you'd expect, the Sony staff began to develop the PS3- a month after the PS2 release. Before I give you the details, let me point out that Sony announced all this info in a press conference, and that Nintendo, Microsoft and even Sega did, and have done the same things with their consoles (although I'd guess the Dreamcast successor project has closed).

So, the details. Well, the hardware Sony expects to be available in the market in 5 years hasn't been invented yet. So all the people "making" the console are really doing is guessing what will be around then (based on Sony's chip production plans), and manufacturer statistics to begin to make a console around these imaginary parts.

The processor, according to Sony's head of R&D, will have 1000 times more processors than the PS2 chip. Now that's quite a big deal- and it should tell you that Sony know something about the breakthroughs happening in chip technology that we don't!

With this much power the console should be near to photorealistic in terms of graphics- if they could pull that off it would be amazing.

More plans that Sony announced was that these chips, that Sony would make, would be used in other products like servers and mainframe computers. Which implies to me that Sony may be going back to a PC based console architecture... but I could be completely wrong on that.

Finally, you may ask why Sony has released such info. After all, Sega only announced they were working on a new console (and no more) and Nintendo and Microsoft have been very silent. Well, the reason is for investors. By announcing such future details it places faith in the compay to deliver and proves their willingness to do so. Add to this that these details were announced at a time that Nintendo's Gamecube was coming out, and a Microsoft console was HEAVILY rumoured, and you see that Sony needed something to show they weren't going to lose sight of the market.

Sonic
Wed 03/04/02 at 22:13
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
AFX wrote:
> i dont care if its called the hairy backside just as long as its makes gaming as
> fun as the psx and ps2

Hopefully it'll introduce the revolutions that Sony promised with the PS2 rather than just releasing fake demos run on super computers?

Neither online gaming nor emotional gaming nor photorealism has been acheived on the PS2 as it was promised- perhaps the next console will fair better in these departments?
Tue 02/04/02 at 03:05
Regular
"JiltedGaming.co.uk"
i dont care if its called the hairy backside just as long as its makes gaming as fun as the psx and ps2
Mon 01/04/02 at 23:49
Regular
"es argh"
I read this before, and I thought it was a brilliant topic, dunno why.

I just liked reading it.

But do you think that it'll be called the PS3? not very original, is it?
Mon 01/04/02 at 22:43
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
popped for the benefit of the current thread on the topic
Thu 28/02/02 at 15:43
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I think you're onto something there Tyla- after all, the publishing cost to make games for the N64 was extortionate.

However, when Nintendo are asked why they fell out with Sony they come up with completely different ideas. They didn't like CD loading times, piracy issues etc...

Sonic
Thu 28/02/02 at 08:06
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Not quite. After all, Nintendo ASKED Sony to help them make a cd based console because sony were experienced in CD technology. Why they fell out is still a mystery...

From an interview I read many moons ago on the history of PSX, I read that it was over development rights... Sony were to supply the tech to Ninty for nothing and Ninty would take all the rights to it... If this was the case, I can see why Sony decided to run...
Wed 27/02/02 at 18:20
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
ultra 64 sounds so much better than N64 don't you think, well back to my game books i'm obviously a bit rusty in my game history.

damn you sonic with your perfect memory :)
Wed 27/02/02 at 16:00
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
~Resurection~ wrote:
i suppose you also knew that originaly sony and ninty
> were gunna build a console together which had a code name of the "ultra
> 64"

Actually the console was codenamed the "PSX". When Ninty and Sony split, Sony developed the "PSX" into the Playstation, and Nintendo started "Project Reality"- the name for the Ultra 64, later the N64.

the screen shots looked cool but it all went bad when they couldn't
> deside on a storage media, sony wanted CD but ninty wanted cartradge
> still.

Not quite. After all, Nintendo ASKED Sony to help them make a cd based console because sony were experienced in CD technology. Why they fell out is still a mystery...

Sonic
Wed 27/02/02 at 01:51
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Actually the Saturn did not come out well before the PSX... what happened was
> that Sega and Ninty saw the specs for the PSX, relalised the console was aimed
> at 3D gaming, and so went back to the drawing board.

Sega hurried a hugely
> badly designed console out- same as before but with an extra graphics chip stuck
> in, making it hard to code for. They released on time in Japan, and then pushed
> the US release 6 months FORWARDS to compete with Sony... a complete
> disaster!

Nintendo decided to take time on their console.

sonic

hmmmmm you seem to know your stuff sonic mate.

i suppose you also knew that originaly sony and ninty were gunna build a console together which had a code name of the "ultra 64" the screen shots looked cool but it all went bad when they couldn't deside on a storage media, sony wanted CD but ninty wanted cartradge still.

so off they went, sony with there cd idea and ninty with there cartridge.

makes you wonder what woulda happened if they didn't split there own ways.
Tue 26/02/02 at 21:31
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Actually the Saturn did not come out well before the PSX... what happened was that Sega and Ninty saw the specs for the PSX, relalised the console was aimed at 3D gaming, and so went back to the drawing board.

Sega hurried a hugely badly designed console out- same as before but with an extra graphics chip stuck in, making it hard to code for. They released on time in Japan, and then pushed the US release 6 months FORWARDS to compete with Sony... a complete disaster!

Nintendo decided to take time on their console.

sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.