GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Clash of Clans (iPad/iPhone)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Clash of Clans'.
Fri 14/09/12 at 17:59
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Clash of Clans Review (Reviewed on iPad 2)

Since purchasing my iPad a few months ago, I have noticed that there is a plethora of "town building" games, where you start off with the very basics and slowly upgrade your buildings, which in turn unlock new buildings and other ways/better ways to gather resources to expand and expand further until your little screen town/planet/world is the biggest and the best you can imagine.

Clash of Clans, on first glance, doesn't appear to be much different to this on the surface. You start off with a cluttered patch of grass and a small town hall.  Through a mini tutorial, the town gets going and takes you through the basics.  You learn how to build and the controls, but also how to attack and raid other bases in the game (pleasantly both CPU campaign based and against the multiplayer masses).  In addition, your village can join up to one of the many clans that exist allowing the social aspect of the game. Through an in-game chat window, sharing of tips and supporting each other can be achieved.

I think it is this social aspect that separates it from the other world building simulations as these are mainly limited through the idea of sharing gifts to decorate your village with (pointless..?). Here the only thing you can do is donate troops which do serve a purpose, defending your baser adding a few extra troops to your assault for that little attack bonus.

Although it is obvious that the main goal of the game is to build the best base, the game really encourages you to attack other players in the form of multiplayer trophies.  Attacking another base is not as easy as it sounds and does take strategy.  Enemy bases are designed by the individual to prevent you stealing their gold or elixir, via cannons, archery towers and mortars strategically surrounded by defensive walls, traps and bombs.  Of course, your goal is to also build a base to thwart the advances of the other players.  You attack by selecting the relevant troops trained at your base and then by touching an area of grass of the opponents base using the touchpad (it is quite novel when troops appear to emerge from your fingertips) and just hope your strategic deployment (in addition to the amount of firepower you are willing to expend) works.  If you destroy their town hall or take out 50% of their buildings you receive a star (and you gain multiplayer trophies), but failure to gain a star in the battle means you lose some from your accumulated total.  This balance of gaining and losing from a total really makes you think twice before attacking as you might well lose the battle and some of your treasured trophies.  The main goal is to take out ALL the buildings and receive maximum trophies.  

Although the above sounds rather complicated, it is rather simple once you give a go.  The addition of a single player campaign does help develop offensive strategy and can also provide a source of resources if you aren't up to strength to take on real people.

Graphically it is quite a cutesy affair, with the fantasy theme mixing with child-friendly animation. However, it is well rendered and even in play, the characters look solidly constructed - fully detailed on full zoom.  For a free game, I was expecting quite simple and jerky motion, but it is a visual dream observe.

As mentioned above, the game is free and has had me hooked for about a month now, so if you like this genre but felt it was lacking, Clash of Clans provides a fresh take on it all, so is well worth a spin.  The main drawback with the game, which spans across the genre, at times it can be slow going whilst awaiting your army to be trained and is especially slow to get started. Stick with it and you'll be left with a fun strategy app that offers social interaction to help maintain the gameplay.

78%
Mon 17/11/14 at 19:53
Regular
"i am very bald"
i've had the game for like two years now and i still think it is one of the best games going, i had one base that was th lvl 8 and the one im on now is th lvl 7. i like the sociall aspect of it(especially when you get give really high lvl troops when your really low lvl!!!) and how you can intersct with other people.

100% and no doubt about it
Fri 14/09/12 at 17:59
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Clash of Clans Review (Reviewed on iPad 2)

Since purchasing my iPad a few months ago, I have noticed that there is a plethora of "town building" games, where you start off with the very basics and slowly upgrade your buildings, which in turn unlock new buildings and other ways/better ways to gather resources to expand and expand further until your little screen town/planet/world is the biggest and the best you can imagine.

Clash of Clans, on first glance, doesn't appear to be much different to this on the surface. You start off with a cluttered patch of grass and a small town hall.  Through a mini tutorial, the town gets going and takes you through the basics.  You learn how to build and the controls, but also how to attack and raid other bases in the game (pleasantly both CPU campaign based and against the multiplayer masses).  In addition, your village can join up to one of the many clans that exist allowing the social aspect of the game. Through an in-game chat window, sharing of tips and supporting each other can be achieved.

I think it is this social aspect that separates it from the other world building simulations as these are mainly limited through the idea of sharing gifts to decorate your village with (pointless..?). Here the only thing you can do is donate troops which do serve a purpose, defending your baser adding a few extra troops to your assault for that little attack bonus.

Although it is obvious that the main goal of the game is to build the best base, the game really encourages you to attack other players in the form of multiplayer trophies.  Attacking another base is not as easy as it sounds and does take strategy.  Enemy bases are designed by the individual to prevent you stealing their gold or elixir, via cannons, archery towers and mortars strategically surrounded by defensive walls, traps and bombs.  Of course, your goal is to also build a base to thwart the advances of the other players.  You attack by selecting the relevant troops trained at your base and then by touching an area of grass of the opponents base using the touchpad (it is quite novel when troops appear to emerge from your fingertips) and just hope your strategic deployment (in addition to the amount of firepower you are willing to expend) works.  If you destroy their town hall or take out 50% of their buildings you receive a star (and you gain multiplayer trophies), but failure to gain a star in the battle means you lose some from your accumulated total.  This balance of gaining and losing from a total really makes you think twice before attacking as you might well lose the battle and some of your treasured trophies.  The main goal is to take out ALL the buildings and receive maximum trophies.  

Although the above sounds rather complicated, it is rather simple once you give a go.  The addition of a single player campaign does help develop offensive strategy and can also provide a source of resources if you aren't up to strength to take on real people.

Graphically it is quite a cutesy affair, with the fantasy theme mixing with child-friendly animation. However, it is well rendered and even in play, the characters look solidly constructed - fully detailed on full zoom.  For a free game, I was expecting quite simple and jerky motion, but it is a visual dream observe.

As mentioned above, the game is free and has had me hooked for about a month now, so if you like this genre but felt it was lacking, Clash of Clans provides a fresh take on it all, so is well worth a spin.  The main drawback with the game, which spans across the genre, at times it can be slow going whilst awaiting your army to be trained and is especially slow to get started. Stick with it and you'll be left with a fun strategy app that offers social interaction to help maintain the gameplay.

78%

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.