GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FIFA 13 and Pro Evolution Soccer 2013"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/09/12 at 21:45
Regular
"How Ironic"
So the big football games have now both got their respective demos out now, and I think this year, the old FIFA or PES debate is closer than ever. I was very impressed with the PES2012 demo last year but it wasn't quite good enough to topple FIFA 12 which had some brilliant improvements to defending (of which, most disliked initally - I know I did) which made gameplay far more challenging. After last year I predicted that this would be the release that PES would finally overtake FIFA in terms of the better game overall.

PES 2013 certainly is a nice game to play. As far as I'm concerned it has the better animations, it runs much more smoothly than FIFA 13 does and aesthetically, in motion, looks superb (my only gripe would have to be the jockeying which looks quite stupid). I've always despised the easiness of shots within FIFA games. PES has a better feel when shooting. It's much more realistic to FIFA where, once you're in the 18-yard box, you just have to finesse or power home a shot. Despite EA's best efforts, those FIFA goalkeepers are just too easy to beat, and shots are still way over accurate. PES is also a lot slower than FIFA, but it's a good thing. FIFA 13 is way too fast to be considered realistic. The sheer speed of the game is laughable even on slow settings.

What does FIFA have then? I consider FIFA's passing system to be a lot more responsive. PES is quite bogged down and delayed. Skill moves are also an advantage of FIFA, although I think they could tone it down just a little bit, this isn't FIFA street and we are lucky to see basic moves in real football matches, let alone rainbow flicks every game. FIFA of course as well has the backing of real sponsorship, although PES is boasting of their official Champion's League trophy. Sadly, PES isn't a franchise that can be considered the champion of Europe, not at the moment anyway. Until PES can outsell FIFA, they can kiss that sponsorship goodbye.

One thing I found hilarious in PES was when the ball went out of play. PES is very limited and jerky when taking a throw in, and the thrower just looks plain stupid. FIFA holds the better throw-in system. In terms of moving, FIFA boasts a 360 degree movement system, which sounds great, but I much prefer PES' movement system personally, despite the fact that FIFA should be realistic. The major ace that FIFA is holding is AI. The intelligence of defenders in PES is an absolute joke, it's non-existent. Positioning of defenders leaves runs for attackers wide open game after game, and if it wasn't for the slower sprint speeds, difficult shots and better goalkeepers, you'd be scoring a bag full of goals each half.

My favourite mode in FIFA by far is Career Mode. This is what makes the deal for me. With even more work going into an already in-depth career mode, including the much requested "manage an international team" feature, FIFA 13 is definitely above PES in this regard and is the mode that always gets me addicted (all the ultimate team shannanigans wouldn't be missed...)

FIFA 13 and PES 2013 both have everything a great football game should have between them. Overall, the ideal solution would be a mixture of the 2 games, but we all know that's never going to happen. But for this year, it has to be FIFA 13 that I'll be buying, just because of the in-depth modes and because I'm familiar with the franchise (and the fact that NHL games aren't released on the PC). I much prefer playing using PES 2013's engine, I find it a much more enjoyable experience, but FIFA's negatives are bearable enough to warrant purchase. But if you're asking for an opinion on the games quality, I think Konami have finally caught up and slightly overtaken EA.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 12/09/12 at 21:45
Regular
"How Ironic"
So the big football games have now both got their respective demos out now, and I think this year, the old FIFA or PES debate is closer than ever. I was very impressed with the PES2012 demo last year but it wasn't quite good enough to topple FIFA 12 which had some brilliant improvements to defending (of which, most disliked initally - I know I did) which made gameplay far more challenging. After last year I predicted that this would be the release that PES would finally overtake FIFA in terms of the better game overall.

PES 2013 certainly is a nice game to play. As far as I'm concerned it has the better animations, it runs much more smoothly than FIFA 13 does and aesthetically, in motion, looks superb (my only gripe would have to be the jockeying which looks quite stupid). I've always despised the easiness of shots within FIFA games. PES has a better feel when shooting. It's much more realistic to FIFA where, once you're in the 18-yard box, you just have to finesse or power home a shot. Despite EA's best efforts, those FIFA goalkeepers are just too easy to beat, and shots are still way over accurate. PES is also a lot slower than FIFA, but it's a good thing. FIFA 13 is way too fast to be considered realistic. The sheer speed of the game is laughable even on slow settings.

What does FIFA have then? I consider FIFA's passing system to be a lot more responsive. PES is quite bogged down and delayed. Skill moves are also an advantage of FIFA, although I think they could tone it down just a little bit, this isn't FIFA street and we are lucky to see basic moves in real football matches, let alone rainbow flicks every game. FIFA of course as well has the backing of real sponsorship, although PES is boasting of their official Champion's League trophy. Sadly, PES isn't a franchise that can be considered the champion of Europe, not at the moment anyway. Until PES can outsell FIFA, they can kiss that sponsorship goodbye.

One thing I found hilarious in PES was when the ball went out of play. PES is very limited and jerky when taking a throw in, and the thrower just looks plain stupid. FIFA holds the better throw-in system. In terms of moving, FIFA boasts a 360 degree movement system, which sounds great, but I much prefer PES' movement system personally, despite the fact that FIFA should be realistic. The major ace that FIFA is holding is AI. The intelligence of defenders in PES is an absolute joke, it's non-existent. Positioning of defenders leaves runs for attackers wide open game after game, and if it wasn't for the slower sprint speeds, difficult shots and better goalkeepers, you'd be scoring a bag full of goals each half.

My favourite mode in FIFA by far is Career Mode. This is what makes the deal for me. With even more work going into an already in-depth career mode, including the much requested "manage an international team" feature, FIFA 13 is definitely above PES in this regard and is the mode that always gets me addicted (all the ultimate team shannanigans wouldn't be missed...)

FIFA 13 and PES 2013 both have everything a great football game should have between them. Overall, the ideal solution would be a mixture of the 2 games, but we all know that's never going to happen. But for this year, it has to be FIFA 13 that I'll be buying, just because of the in-depth modes and because I'm familiar with the franchise (and the fact that NHL games aren't released on the PC). I much prefer playing using PES 2013's engine, I find it a much more enjoyable experience, but FIFA's negatives are bearable enough to warrant purchase. But if you're asking for an opinion on the games quality, I think Konami have finally caught up and slightly overtaken EA.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.