GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ASP Availability"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/09/00 at 11:41
Regular
Hi,

Just a quick question. Is it possible to use ASP scripting on the freeola webspace, and if not are there any plans to make it available?

Cheers,

Matt
Tue 07/11/00 at 21:13
By the way, if you decide to try it out and need any help drop me an email [email protected], good luck
Tue 07/11/00 at 21:09
If you want to try out a flat file database then have a look at www.ezscripting.com there you will find 3 or four cgi scripts for using csv databases.

they are free to d/l and use and damn good.

Have a look at a site I have done for my m8 at www.sounds-superior.com in the playlist section I used search_csv.cgi to search for track in his playlist.
Fri 27/10/00 at 19:28
there are a few database type utilities on www.hotscripts.com in both perl and PHP. many of these can access simple comma delimited files, saving and retreiving.
As long as you aren't trying to do any thing clever with access then use of flat files should be fine for your needs.
Tue 26/09/00 at 11:36
Thanks for the comments Matty.

The Javascripts on my site all come from the javascriptsource site - They are all Free!! (Link on my welcome page)

I have seen a javascript that can read a flat Comma Separated Variable Format File (.CSV - Easily created from Excel and/or Access etc:) and format the resultant web page/s. Basically, the same as the application I have purchased - But this one's free! (Wish I'd seen it before I bought mine!!) I'm sure it was either on the javascript source site or on a site linked to it.

Anyway hope that helps, Good Luck

Pete
Mon 25/09/00 at 14:13
Hi Pete,

Thanks for that! Great site too!

Yes, I did want to put up a simple database to the webspace provided by Freeola - just a pet project as opposed to anything serious. Seems I'm not going to be able to do that after all.

I like the javascripts based thing you have - where can I get it and how much is it?

Also, the alternate option - does anyone know where I can get a (SIMPLE) database hosted free of charge (am I asking too much). I mean, Freeola is great for a free service, but adding a database enables so much more functionality. Maybe a *nearly* free service freeola might like to offer???!

Cheers,

Matt
Sun 24/09/00 at 22:20
Matty,

From your earlier post, I assume you are hoping to publish a database to the web!!
I wanted to do the same thing myself and have overcome the problem by using a product called Instabase. It is a little limited but uses Javascripts to read and display a flat text file. The software has to be purchased - bummer!! - but works well for what it can do. Have a look at www.brisca.f1drivers.index follow links to THE INDEX and have a look.

Pete
Sun 24/09/00 at 13:49
Dear User,

It is unlikley that we will host any access databases on our servers. If you can get the database hosted on another server you can then use our servers to call that database using PHP.

Regards,
Freeola Support
Sun 24/09/00 at 13:45
Hi, Thanks for that response...
I've been looking into this "PHP" thing and I read on the official PHP website that it is possible to interact with Microsoft Access databases with PHP. Is this facility going to be available from Freeola when you provide PHP?

Thanks again,
Matthew.
Sun 24/09/00 at 12:03
Dear User,

I am afraid that Freeola do not support ASP or Front Page Extensions. We do support CGI and hoipe to have both SSI and PHP avaliable soon.

Regards,
Freeola Support
Sun 24/09/00 at 11:41
Hi,

Just a quick question. Is it possible to use ASP scripting on the freeola webspace, and if not are there any plans to make it available?

Cheers,

Matt

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.