GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"email servers or me?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/09/12 at 21:20
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hi All,

Anyone having problems with POP3/SMTP email (non-VIP)?

I upgraded from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2010 yesterday and haven't received any POP3 emails since 09:51 - but this may just be a coincidence.

I can see in my webmail view that there are mails waiting to be picked up.

IMAP mail is fine and I've checked and rechecked all account settings.

Error message from outlook is a particularly unhelpful 'unable to connect to pop3/smtp server'.

So, before I start to uninstall/reinstall accounts can I rule out a server problem?

thanks

JTD

Edit: changing smtp auth to ssl port 465 seems to have got that going but still no pop3.
Sun 09/09/12 at 18:06
"Are you sure?"
dean5 wrote:
If you were able to connect from another computer, that rules out the router, however it could have still been a firewall on the original PC. As Hmmm... said, if it was Outlook, you would have been able to telnet.

The most likely thing I would expect this to have been is a firewall issue on the local computer. Hopefully it wont happen again, but if it does, I'd advise starting by ensuring that Outlook is on the exceptions list on your firewall software.

-------------------------------- --------------------------------

@dean5

JTD has closed this, but... :¬)
Just trying to work through the logic of your last post.

If the problem returns, surely the first thing to try is telnet as that's not application dependant?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 09/09/12 at 17:12
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
If you were able to connect from another computer, that rules out the router, however it could have still been a firewall on the original PC. As Hmmm... said, if it was Outlook, you would have been able to telnet.

The most likely thing I would expect this to have been is a firewall issue on the local computer. Hopefully it wont happen again, but if it does, I'd advise starting by ensuring that Outlook is on the exceptions list on your firewall software.
Sun 09/09/12 at 16:09
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hi dean,

That's what I thought too and it's why I dug an old PC out to fire up. When that could telnet OK it couldn't have been a ISDN frouter/firewall issue and must have been a local laptop issue.

Hmmm... yeah, I'd come to the conclusion it wasn't an outlook issue too and started to check blocked sites/port issues...still found nowt.

I wish I had a clear answer as to what had happened but I haven't. I'll not lose too much sleep over it though.

Case closed. Nothing more to see here.

JTD
Sun 09/09/12 at 09:38
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
It sounds to me like a routing / firewall issue. If it happens again, I'd suggest restarting your router to clear any cached data. If that doesn't help, it's likely to be a firewall blocking the connection to mail.freeola.net:110.
Sun 09/09/12 at 08:54
"Are you sure?"
Glad to hear you are all sorted JTD.

As telnet also started working for you this doesn't sounds as it was an Outlook issue.

I'm an Outlook fan - I use it to run my life. The calendar functions are great :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 08/09/12 at 22:15
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Outlook works in mysterious ways! Glad you got it working again though. I use Mozilla Thunderbird personally and the most recent version is pretty good. Sadly they are ceasing development to concentrate on browser stuff.
Sat 08/09/12 at 18:36
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hmmm..., Eccles,

OMG.... out of absolutley nowhere it started to work again.

I've spent two days trying to work out what's going on and after another (of many) reboots Outlook suddenly pops up and asks for my password.

I check telenet and that's OK too.

The only thing I did before this reboot was switch automatic updates back on (really clutching at straws as to what I'd done before the problems started) - XP installed one update and shut down.

When it came back up all was well.

If that hadn't worked I was on the verge of a system restore. So I'm pleased it's working again but very puzzeld as to why it stopped in the first place.

Many thanks for all suggestions and system checks.

JTD
Sat 08/09/12 at 17:21
"Are you sure?"
All sounds strange - bet it's something daft/simple! :¬)

Let us know how you get on.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 08/09/12 at 16:01
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hi Hmmm...

Sorry for throwing in the IMAP red herring :o)

It was the 'test account' report which came back with the unhelpful messages.

Things are a bit clearer in the meantime. I have fred up an old(ish) pc I had in my garage and I can telnet to port 110 on the mail server.... so it's looking like something wrong with my laptop/outlook setup.

Thanks for your help but I reckon this one is down to me to fathom out what's going on.

bl**dy Microsoft. sigh.

JTD
Sat 08/09/12 at 15:43
"Are you sure?"
Hi JTD,
Yep, IMAP did confuse things for me :¬)

So it's standard Freeola email with 'freedom' enabled.

Perhaps there's an issue with your 'freedom' account - BUT that should only present itself if you are having issues 'sending' not 'receiving'.

To try to get some more meaningful message from Outlook you might like to try the 'Test Account Settings' option and see what that says?

You might be better waiting for Eccles/Freeola Support to investigate in case I just confuse things though.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.