GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console Ports"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/02/02 at 19:19
Regular
Some console ports annoy me because they just seem lazily done.I remember playing shoadowman on the N64 and thinking thats brilliant..then i got it for the playstation and i hated it..it just didnt seem as good as the 64 version..probaly in the graphics bit.

Over the years there have been a number of console to console ports and pc to console ports.Take Unreal Tournament for instance.This game was brilliant for the PC online and then they decided to bring it to the PS2..bad bad idea..The main thing in unreal tournament was the multyplayer and with the ps2 havin the maximum of 4 players or so why did they even think of porting it..they shoulda knew it would of been a bad seller and a useless game...the same for QUAKE 3..which changed to revolution for the PS2.

Then There are the good conversions.Half Life to the ps2 was a very good conversion of the pc one player game but again..lacks in the multyplayer mode.the company worst for conversion i think would be EA and their useless attempt at a football game known as FIFA.They have that out for every console..Take the new one shortly out..World cup 2002,they r making it for xbox,gamecube,ps2 and pc..WHY CANT THEY JUST STOP WITH THE FIFA GAMES AND GIVE THE LICENSE TO KONAMI CAUSE THEY KNOW HOW FOOTBALL SHOULD BE DONE ON A CONSOLE!

Also on console ports they always seem to add in something better to the more powerful machines..i think that if someone only owns one console they fell cheated just because they dont have a certain console they get left outa something new that could make the game last longer..like a better multyplayer mode or somethin

Anyway thats all i gota say at the min..thanx for reading ane let me know what u think of console ports
Sat 08/09/12 at 00:28
Regular
7 th is cool for me !
Fri 07/09/12 at 14:49
Regular
We mentioned it the other night the preffered date was Sunday 7th, I can't do saturdays and Steve baker wants to do it and he can't do saturdays either, plus I cant do it the weekend of the 13/14 or 20/21 as I have something on those weekends, I wouldn't want to leave it too late though as the weather will not be on our side.
Fri 07/09/12 at 09:57
Regular
Does anybody fancy a Snowdon trip, with a rangers path descent sometime in October, 6th , 13, or 14 ? i cant do the 7th.

Just a thought ?
Fri 22/02/02 at 21:10
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
PC to Console: Not generally good because the control mechanism suffers slightly especially with point and click games and first person shooters.

The Dreamcast solved this by having a USB keyboard and a USB mouse as peripherals. The PS2 will also have these, a special keyboard complete with analogue joysticks and D-pad has even been produced especially just for Final Fantasy XI, which is a bit over the top in my view.

Console to PC: Not generally good because the PC, running at top spec, is capable of so much more than running just a ported console game.

Console to Console: Cheap way of getting more money into the development houses so that they can make more profit and develop more games.

Ports are a bit like car seat covers, you take one out of your Porsche and try to fit it onto the seat of your Ford Cortina, and it doesn't 'quite' fit.

In a perfect world they'd start each game over from the ground up for each format instead of just porting to it and tweaking a bit here and there.

EA should stick to their Big range of titles, and let Konami handle the footie, that I agree on whole heartedly.

However, if EA can add trick combos to skateboards, snowboards, moto-cross and other extreme sports, then jazz the whole genre of sports games up by adding pumping soundtracks and players with street cred and baggy trousers, how long will it be before they do the same to football, allowing you to pull of stunts as you dribble the ball, and adding points for combos allowing you to increase your range of skills for each player later on?
Fri 22/02/02 at 20:44
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
Seconded, sorry mate think up a more interesting topic next time please.
Fri 22/02/02 at 20:25
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Hmmmm, console ports what an interesting and lively topic to start a thread under. I am proposing a motion for this to be the most boring topic everrrrr...PASSED. That wasn't to hard then.
Fri 22/02/02 at 19:19
Some console ports annoy me because they just seem lazily done.I remember playing shoadowman on the N64 and thinking thats brilliant..then i got it for the playstation and i hated it..it just didnt seem as good as the 64 version..probaly in the graphics bit.

Over the years there have been a number of console to console ports and pc to console ports.Take Unreal Tournament for instance.This game was brilliant for the PC online and then they decided to bring it to the PS2..bad bad idea..The main thing in unreal tournament was the multyplayer and with the ps2 havin the maximum of 4 players or so why did they even think of porting it..they shoulda knew it would of been a bad seller and a useless game...the same for QUAKE 3..which changed to revolution for the PS2.

Then There are the good conversions.Half Life to the ps2 was a very good conversion of the pc one player game but again..lacks in the multyplayer mode.the company worst for conversion i think would be EA and their useless attempt at a football game known as FIFA.They have that out for every console..Take the new one shortly out..World cup 2002,they r making it for xbox,gamecube,ps2 and pc..WHY CANT THEY JUST STOP WITH THE FIFA GAMES AND GIVE THE LICENSE TO KONAMI CAUSE THEY KNOW HOW FOOTBALL SHOULD BE DONE ON A CONSOLE!

Also on console ports they always seem to add in something better to the more powerful machines..i think that if someone only owns one console they fell cheated just because they dont have a certain console they get left outa something new that could make the game last longer..like a better multyplayer mode or somethin

Anyway thats all i gota say at the min..thanx for reading ane let me know what u think of console ports

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.