GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The discovery of replay value"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/02/02 at 18:37
Regular
With the wave of new consoles upon us, and a desire to taste the delights of Halo, GT3 and Smash Bros et al I broke my piggy bank to see how much I had. Unfortunately, it consisted of a Christmas list (uncompleted), £4.23 and ah yes, a hefty wad of…IOU’s. Ahem. Faced with the realisation that I might actually have to work to get some money, I broke out in a cold sweat and was forced to look towards my current games collection for solace. (Rumours that this is what forced me towards joining Special Reserve are completely unfounded). As much as it pains my game playing ego to say it, I found that there were some games that I had left unfinished and uncompleted (out of choice, of course), just collecting dust in a corner.

As you’ve probably realised by now, I don’t have a bottomless pit or money tree with which to buy all the latest games, so the games that I do have in my collections are probably the finest that console has to offer. If resources are scarce then naturally you go towards the very best. Right? Right. Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, classics, every one of ‘em. But all uncompleted. (I was later to find out that the reason I couldn’t complete Shenmue was because of the infamous Disc 3 glitch that prevents you seeing the next cut scene to progress).

Be honest, I think it might have happened to a good number of you as well. When your half way through your current fave it’s always difficult not to be tempted by the latest triple A title, with its mindblowing graphics and innovative new gameplay. The only problem is, what was suddenly the best thing ever becomes decidedly old hat, and you find yourself putting the other game in the ‘to be completed’ pile along with Clayfighter 63 1/3 and Rise of the Robots (remember them?)

So I picked up Mario 64 and continued playing. I already had 70-odd stars because I had beaten Bowser but for some strange reason decided not to play on. Oh what a fool I was. This time I had the avowed intention of actually completing the thing and getting my money’s worth out of what I now think is the finest 3D platforming game in existence. I was astounded. I knew Mario was good, very good in fact, but I didn’t know that collecting the last few stars provided you with the most visceral, challenging, thought provoking experience ever. Suddenly, I was a changed video gamer.

I subsequently went through my old games with vigour, playing each one to the end and getting hours of enjoyment out of the best Sega and Nintendo, in my opinion the best developers in the world, had to offer. I rediscovered the delights of Shenmue (avoiding that pesky glitch) and became so immersed in the story (a rarity these days) that I made Shenmue 2 top of my shopping list. I also relived other gaming landmarks such as Zelda and Sonic Adventure, and even went through games I had completed, each one providing hours of enjoyment and plenty of ‘I don’t remember this, this is brilliant’ moments.

But this new approach to all my old games has also enhanced my all round knowledge of games and has changed how I approach a new game as well. I certainly understand what is meant by ‘replay value’. Replay value isn’t about completing a game over and over again just to unlock an extra weapon or a change of costume. Even with a game the calibre of Metal Gear Solid it just becomes boring and ultimately ruins what great memories you might have of a game.

Replay value is about rewarding the player no matter how long or how often the player chooses to play it. Games like the aforementioned Mario and Zelda certainly do this. Other games, such as Crazy Taxi and Virtua Tennis, offer instant gaming gratification and because of that they justify their inclusion in my collection.

My current plight could well be the situation you are facing this very moment. With all the new consoles out or coming out, each tempting you with hard drives, DVD playback and whatnot, there is certainly a lot to choose from. But in the meantime dust the cobwebs of your old favourites, play them through again and remember why you got into videogames in the first place.

Thanks for reading
Fri 22/02/02 at 18:37
Regular
With the wave of new consoles upon us, and a desire to taste the delights of Halo, GT3 and Smash Bros et al I broke my piggy bank to see how much I had. Unfortunately, it consisted of a Christmas list (uncompleted), £4.23 and ah yes, a hefty wad of…IOU’s. Ahem. Faced with the realisation that I might actually have to work to get some money, I broke out in a cold sweat and was forced to look towards my current games collection for solace. (Rumours that this is what forced me towards joining Special Reserve are completely unfounded). As much as it pains my game playing ego to say it, I found that there were some games that I had left unfinished and uncompleted (out of choice, of course), just collecting dust in a corner.

As you’ve probably realised by now, I don’t have a bottomless pit or money tree with which to buy all the latest games, so the games that I do have in my collections are probably the finest that console has to offer. If resources are scarce then naturally you go towards the very best. Right? Right. Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, classics, every one of ‘em. But all uncompleted. (I was later to find out that the reason I couldn’t complete Shenmue was because of the infamous Disc 3 glitch that prevents you seeing the next cut scene to progress).

Be honest, I think it might have happened to a good number of you as well. When your half way through your current fave it’s always difficult not to be tempted by the latest triple A title, with its mindblowing graphics and innovative new gameplay. The only problem is, what was suddenly the best thing ever becomes decidedly old hat, and you find yourself putting the other game in the ‘to be completed’ pile along with Clayfighter 63 1/3 and Rise of the Robots (remember them?)

So I picked up Mario 64 and continued playing. I already had 70-odd stars because I had beaten Bowser but for some strange reason decided not to play on. Oh what a fool I was. This time I had the avowed intention of actually completing the thing and getting my money’s worth out of what I now think is the finest 3D platforming game in existence. I was astounded. I knew Mario was good, very good in fact, but I didn’t know that collecting the last few stars provided you with the most visceral, challenging, thought provoking experience ever. Suddenly, I was a changed video gamer.

I subsequently went through my old games with vigour, playing each one to the end and getting hours of enjoyment out of the best Sega and Nintendo, in my opinion the best developers in the world, had to offer. I rediscovered the delights of Shenmue (avoiding that pesky glitch) and became so immersed in the story (a rarity these days) that I made Shenmue 2 top of my shopping list. I also relived other gaming landmarks such as Zelda and Sonic Adventure, and even went through games I had completed, each one providing hours of enjoyment and plenty of ‘I don’t remember this, this is brilliant’ moments.

But this new approach to all my old games has also enhanced my all round knowledge of games and has changed how I approach a new game as well. I certainly understand what is meant by ‘replay value’. Replay value isn’t about completing a game over and over again just to unlock an extra weapon or a change of costume. Even with a game the calibre of Metal Gear Solid it just becomes boring and ultimately ruins what great memories you might have of a game.

Replay value is about rewarding the player no matter how long or how often the player chooses to play it. Games like the aforementioned Mario and Zelda certainly do this. Other games, such as Crazy Taxi and Virtua Tennis, offer instant gaming gratification and because of that they justify their inclusion in my collection.

My current plight could well be the situation you are facing this very moment. With all the new consoles out or coming out, each tempting you with hard drives, DVD playback and whatnot, there is certainly a lot to choose from. But in the meantime dust the cobwebs of your old favourites, play them through again and remember why you got into videogames in the first place.

Thanks for reading
Fri 22/02/02 at 18:41
Regular
"699 days!"
Great post! :-)

Thinking about it now, I haven't completed most of my N64 titles, I could do with taking a leaf out of your book.
Fri 22/02/02 at 19:44
Regular
Thanks! I would seriously recommend it because I found that the best bits in game happen at the end anyway
Fri 22/02/02 at 19:51
Regular
I agree with Dr. Dragon, great post! :-)

I found that with Zelda. I lost it on the Water Temple and found it hard to pick up where I left off, but I'm glad I did, as the end is brilliant
Fri 22/02/02 at 19:56
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Thats soo true! I was happily playing my Rez demo when I thought to myself .. what did i do with pokemon stadium 2? furthermore i uncover that not only that but pokemon crystal were both uncompleted. This discovery will get me right through my time of boredom

Gr8 post :)
Fri 22/02/02 at 19:58
Regular
Plus its useful to go back now and play your old games before the next load of consoles come out because once you do you'll probably won't play them again for years
Fri 22/02/02 at 20:09
Regular
I think this may be your last time to play epic games like Final Fantasy or Zelda as if the latest Nintendo games are anything to go by they only last 10 hours
Fri 22/02/02 at 21:01
Regular
I prefer the longer game now but like I said earlier, as long as it can be replayed and you can enjoy doing that it will be worth it

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.