GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Making my site interactive"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/02/02 at 18:01
Regular
Where to start? CGI/PERL PHP, it's all Greek to me.

Just about got the site working OK using frames, now I need some info about the flood of people who will want to register. It's all pretty basic stuff - it seems to me, but where to start?

I'm not a programmer (it took me a day to figure out the /htdocs FTP!!!)

Project 1
I want to create a registration form (Adobe GoLive is what I'm using) get some information, e.g. name, company, position, phone and email. Then I want to get it back to me in a format that I can use - probably .dbf - preferred, or .xls which I can convert myself.

I also want to show an acknowledgement screen and possibly send an email to confirm.

What software do I need? Or should I just try and grab some code from somewhere else?

Project 2
Let's get Project 1 out of the way first!!!!

Any help would be appreciated.
Tue 04/09/12 at 20:03
Evenin......

One of the last three rides left without lights!

Meet at the Ribchester Arms between 17:30 - 17:45 for a 18:00 departure.

Some of us will have lights just in case.
Weather looks good so we should be back for 20:00 in time for a well deserved pint and the customary chip barm :)
Wed 27/02/02 at 17:24
Clarification on PHP vs ASP --

There is an Apache (read "UNIX") ASP module available, but it's a security nightmare.
Wed 27/02/02 at 13:56
Regular
"hockeyphotos.com"
seekerof knowledge wrote:
> I want to create a registration form
> get some information, e.g. name, company, position,
> phone and email

Don't forget to register your database under the Data Protection Act.

Chris.
Wed 27/02/02 at 11:33
Phew!

And I thought it was going to be difficult.

Just off to Superdrug for some ibuprofen - my brain hurts.

Thanks for the input. Back to the drawing board.

:)
Mon 25/02/02 at 20:17
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
For my money, use PHP ... but then what you know tends to be best ... and I've got to know PHP - there's not much it can't do, but not every ISP offers it as an option.

If you're not a programmer, then I have to say that PHP (or any other scripting language) is going to be awkward to learn. You see, interactivity with your readers is anything but straightforward. They make mistakes, for a start, and you have to detect the errors and ask for a correction, which means some kind of intelligence in the script that receives their input. Its programming in most people's eyes, although I don't mean to be off-putting.

With form input (which is the simplest, if not only, way of getting input from your users), you're not going to get anywhere near dbf or xls straight away. It will be a number of distinct variables, and it will be up to you to decide what to do with that data. No scripting language I know of is going to be particularly helpful - you've got to do it yourself.

So if you're determined to stay out of the promgramming stuff yourself, yes, maybe look for scripts you can cut and paste (I've used hotscripts.com myself), but the problem oyu'll get is tweaking them if they don't quite do what you want.

In summary, I suppose what I'm saying is that interaction is anything but simple. Anyone disagree?
Sun 24/02/02 at 00:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No, PHP is much better than ASP, we both know that.
Sun 24/02/02 at 00:51
seekerof knowledge wrote:
> I am hosting on Freeola - so who do I ask?

Well, I don't know 'cos I don't host my site on Freeola, but I'm sure if you post in the "SR Site bugs and customer service" forum they will be able to tell you in there, unless someone else in this forum hosts on Freeola and is doing the kind of thing you want to do and would like to tell us how you could do it...

> Interestingly, I notice that GetDotted is using PHP -
> should I be looking at that instead...?

Yes, though I stress only because you are hosting with Freeola and that is the scripting language they use on the Unix machines... It is no better or worse than ASP, you could use ASP if you were hosting on on Windows server.
Sat 23/02/02 at 23:32
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
If you want to make your site interactive then PHP is definitely the way to go.
Sat 23/02/02 at 18:07
I am hosting on Freeola - so who do I ask?

Any ideas.

Interestingly, I notice that GetDotted is using PHP - should I be looking at that instead...?
Fri 22/02/02 at 18:54
OK. Are you hosting your'e site on Freeola? If not, where are you hosting it?

Where ever you host, they will probably have a basic script available for you to use which will e-mail you the contents of whatever someone has entered into your form. So first thing first, ask your site host where that script is and for some instructions on using it.

Usually, you just need to set up a form with the input boxes that you require, then make the "action" of that form the location of the script you are trying to use. The script should take over and e-mail you the contents of the form.

Normally, you will just get a text e-mail, I don't know about getting any other format working, you could probably comma or tab-delimit the text e-mail so that you could import it into Excel or Access or whatever you need.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.