GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Data Recovery ..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/09/12 at 14:45
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
A Cruzer micro USB flash drive, that worked fine on Friday, has now decided that it needs formatting to access it! This drive has been tested in three separate machines today, each with the same result/refusal :¬(

Has anyone any suggestions on how the data can be successfully accessed without any loss?

Maybe No.1 son will now realise what 'back-ups' are all about!
Mon 03/09/12 at 19:03
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks Eccles ... the extra 'w' in your link halted operations for a few seconds ;¬) but I downloaded Testdisk exe which also included PhotoRec. Ran both on the 'little blighter' but to no avail :¬( Seems that the drive is going to take its critical files to the great disposal bin!

But many thanks anyway to all, much appreciated :¬)

DL
Mon 03/09/12 at 14:40
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I would download and burn Ultimate Boot CD and then try running Testdisk and PhotoRec on the drive. They operate at a low level and I've had success with them before.
Mon 03/09/12 at 13:44
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hi Hmmm and thanks,

Haven't given up yet, but been too busy this morning. I did a quick format and used Recuva, which found hundreds of files - some could be recovered, but these were all on my hard drive! It found nothing on the Cruzer!

Still open to suggestions as it may help No1 and no, nothing else will be written to the drive ... I read that somewhere last night.
Mon 03/09/12 at 08:41
"Are you sure?"
DL wrote:
Formatted and undergone a 1 hour search ... nothing!

Which recovery software did you use?

NB. If you haven't given up trying to recover data don't write any new data on the drive!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 03/09/12 at 07:59
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
a pity I saw this too late. you should have held off on formatting. I used a tool called diskdigger to successfully restore photos from a memory stick in a camera that I couldn't read otherwise - it reads raw data. If you only did a quick format, there might still be a chance -

http://diskdigger.org/

not free but SUCH good value for money I think
Sun 02/09/12 at 22:14
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Formatted and undergone a 1 hour search ... nothing!
Nevermind, think a valuable lesson has just been learnt the hard way! You can never tell them enough can you, but it's always too much trouble to take a few seconds to 'back-it-up'!

Sun 02/09/12 at 18:21
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Nice one Hmmm, but already tried CHKDSK etc etc and the drive hasn't been recognized. Think it may have to be the 'format' and then 'search' route as some of these files are critical!!!

Enjoy your dinner :¬)
Sun 02/09/12 at 17:52
"Are you sure?"
Hi DL,
Have you tried running a CHKDSK to see if that does any good?

Otherwise it sounds like you may have to format to access the drive and then if the data is critical try some data recovery package. Lots offer 'trial' versions which will show you what data is recoverable before you have to pay. Others may know of opensource/free apps? (Not Machie as he always says you should pay for s/w!? :¬P)

There might be more tips on the Sandisk forums but I've run out of time as my dinner is ready! :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

NB. Tell you son to check out Hmmm...'s previous Freeola thread:
Backups! Data, Music, Photos - Back it up!
Sun 02/09/12 at 14:45
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
A Cruzer micro USB flash drive, that worked fine on Friday, has now decided that it needs formatting to access it! This drive has been tested in three separate machines today, each with the same result/refusal :¬(

Has anyone any suggestions on how the data can be successfully accessed without any loss?

Maybe No.1 son will now realise what 'back-ups' are all about!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.