GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are computer games a waste of our time?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/08/12 at 16:05
Regular
"How Ironic"
I was recently quite annoyed at a female friend who was arguing that computer games were 'a waste of your life' and that they're 'not sociable'. I suppose she thinks that computer games, because they're just digital data, are worthless.

For social aspects, communicating wirelessly or in person surely doesn't matter, it's communicating nonetheless. Is that all being sociable is? Plus you could easily claim the same argument against the use of mobile phones, email or forums dare I say!

As for being 'a waste of your life', I can't see why playing computer games is any more of a waste than going out with friends and listening to the same music (which is also digital media) every weekend while moving around getting intoxicated. If anything, the computer game seems the healthier option!

I'm not saying we should all stay inside and play computer games, I just think that this particular female is rather annoyed at a game getting more attention than she possibly does!

Anyway, I'd like to hear from you guys. Are they a waste of time?
Thu 23/08/12 at 16:05
Regular
"How Ironic"
I was recently quite annoyed at a female friend who was arguing that computer games were 'a waste of your life' and that they're 'not sociable'. I suppose she thinks that computer games, because they're just digital data, are worthless.

For social aspects, communicating wirelessly or in person surely doesn't matter, it's communicating nonetheless. Is that all being sociable is? Plus you could easily claim the same argument against the use of mobile phones, email or forums dare I say!

As for being 'a waste of your life', I can't see why playing computer games is any more of a waste than going out with friends and listening to the same music (which is also digital media) every weekend while moving around getting intoxicated. If anything, the computer game seems the healthier option!

I'm not saying we should all stay inside and play computer games, I just think that this particular female is rather annoyed at a game getting more attention than she possibly does!

Anyway, I'd like to hear from you guys. Are they a waste of time?
Thu 23/08/12 at 16:48
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Of course not, most of my social interaction comes through gaming. Be it FIFA with McLong and crew, Borderlands with Moto and others, any FPS with my brother, any RPG with me other mates... etc

Add beer, food and laughter and you have a much, much better and more comfortable night than drinking expensive drinks in a club/pub environment. Not that I don't do that either, but it simply isn't my preferred choice now.

I can guess that your 'female' friend ( :D ) has got, and often uses, a Facebook account? Is the transmission of mini-statements non-gaming related any better than gaming related mini-statements?
Thu 23/08/12 at 17:04
Regular
"How Ironic"
Warhunt wrote:
Of course not, most of my social interaction comes through gaming. Be it FIFA with McLong and crew, Borderlands with Moto and others, any FPS with my brother, any RPG with me other mates... etc

Add beer, food and laughter and you have a much, much better and more comfortable night than drinking expensive drinks in a club/pub environment. Not that I don't do that either, but it simply isn't my preferred choice now.

I can guess that your 'female' friend ( :D ) has got, and often uses, a Facebook account? Is the transmission of mini-statements non-gaming related any better than gaming related mini-statements?

Don't look at me like that you dirty dog. (I wouldn't go near this girl with a barge pole. She's fit, but hell, is her mind messed up. No you can't have her number).

Haha yeah I'd much prefer a cheap gaming night than a night at a local. I just can't see why being out with other people can be considered somehow a better or richer experience than sitting in with other people playing games, be it a night round with friends or even through headsets. I find a lot of people I have most in common with are from online communications.

Plus as you say, I think it's a bit rich to use a social media site to complain about other people's enjoyment of what they consider 'non-social' activites'. I think it's more of an attention-seeking status.

*EDIT* As I finish this, I'm about to try Star Trek Online mwahaha. Stick that in your pint and drink it.
Thu 23/08/12 at 18:43
Regular
Yeah. I play video games a lot but I'll happily admit they're a waste of my time. Playing Fifa with a few mates may be comparable to having a kickabout at the park or whatever but sitting alone at your desk at home playing CS:GO (alexccll200 - add me) for hours on end isn't. If your social, love or professional life isn't being noticeably improved then you could probably argue it's a waste of time.
Fri 24/08/12 at 15:26
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
I often have this thought to myself, but I think it can only really be considered circumstantially, I don't think there's a definitive answer. I play games in spare time, where I'm waiting to do something else or If I need to switch off from the world around me. If I've got a day where I've got nothing to do, I'd much rather do something productive.

I think video games are just simply a source of entertainment, like a TV show, film or even a book. This "female friend ;)" can't deny that she partakes in one of these activities.

I must admit, when I was younger video games where a hobby and a passion, I'd always want to be the best or be playing the latest game. Being social at this age always seemed a bit awkward, so I'd opt for staying in and playing games instead. Being older now however I'd much prefer to be out with a group of friends having a laugh and meeting new people.
Fri 24/08/12 at 18:53
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
So, let me get this clear...

I play a game for, say, five hours...
During that time, I learn that incendiary pigs were one of the favoured weapons of the "most civilised" Roman armies...

I discover that one of the favourite methods for dealing with the "tortoise shell" formation was to hide in the long grass and take the front guy's feet off at the ankles as he passes...

I realise that Rome really WASN'T built in a day...

I get to read masses of information about siege engines and siege warfare...

...And I'm wasting my time???!

Of course the other side of this is that I might be spending those five hours capping demons on Mars with a shotgun, but then everyone needs a break...

Point being, it's all a matter of perspective. I personally think that painting union jacks on my nails would be a pointless waste of time, as would spending sixty minutes on a sunbed so that I looked a little less "bleached" or "pumping iron" so I looked buff for the ladies... Some people would like that though.

Fishing... waste of time.
skateboarding... dangerous waste of time.
paper aeroplanes... fun, but a complete waste of time.

Watching a really cool film? NOT a waste of time. Especially with beer. And peanuts.
Playing a really cool video game? NOT a waste of time. Especially with beer. And peanuts.

Beer and peanuts? NOT a waste of time, especially with a cool film. Or a cool game.
Fri 24/08/12 at 19:24
Regular
"How Ironic"
Well fishing for the most part is sitting on the edge of a dock or boat holding a stick above the water.
Fri 24/08/12 at 19:35
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
Well fishing for the most part is sitting on the edge of a dock or boat holding a stick above the water.

Slightly antisocial if you're on your own, which seems to be the way of things a lot of the time for fishing fans...

And quite honestly, I think that going into the pub smelling of fish afterwards is pretty antisocial too.

...And probably a waste of time, as nobody would want to talk to you:-)

Although, I have no objection to sitting by a river for an hour or two. Preferably with a beer. And peanuts.
Fri 24/08/12 at 19:40
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:
Although, I have no objection to sitting by a river for an hour or two. Preferably with a beer. And peanuts.

Dry roasted are nice.
Fri 24/08/12 at 19:44
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
chasfh wrote:
[i]Although, I have no objection to sitting by a river for an hour or two. Preferably with a beer. And peanuts.

Dry roasted are nice.[/i]

I actually like the coated ones with the chilli flavouring...NICE!
Excellent with a pint of Guinness.

Ah, the hours I've wasted with a bag of chilli peanuts and a pint o' Guinness!

I mean, er, NOT wasted...of course...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.