GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are computer games a waste of our time?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/08/12 at 16:05
Regular
"How Ironic"
I was recently quite annoyed at a female friend who was arguing that computer games were 'a waste of your life' and that they're 'not sociable'. I suppose she thinks that computer games, because they're just digital data, are worthless.

For social aspects, communicating wirelessly or in person surely doesn't matter, it's communicating nonetheless. Is that all being sociable is? Plus you could easily claim the same argument against the use of mobile phones, email or forums dare I say!

As for being 'a waste of your life', I can't see why playing computer games is any more of a waste than going out with friends and listening to the same music (which is also digital media) every weekend while moving around getting intoxicated. If anything, the computer game seems the healthier option!

I'm not saying we should all stay inside and play computer games, I just think that this particular female is rather annoyed at a game getting more attention than she possibly does!

Anyway, I'd like to hear from you guys. Are they a waste of time?
Tue 28/08/12 at 11:40
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
chasfh wrote:
[i]...AND we're back to square one with the press! :-)

So ... who among us actually gives a toss what the press say, report, print anyway![/i]

I will, when they start shouting loud enough for the censorship brigade to begin another round of limitation and wanton discrimination, much like they did with the whole "video nasties" thing back in the seventies/ eighties...
Sun 26/08/12 at 19:04
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:
...AND we're back to square one with the press! :-)

So ... who among us actually gives a toss what the press say, report, print anyway!
Sun 26/08/12 at 16:49
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pb wrote:
Alfonse wrote:
[i]pb wrote:
[i]Increasing hand-eye co-ordination.

This. Everyone I know who plays videogames is great at sport[/i]

Sport requires stamina, quick reactions, muscle work from specific muscles as well as hand-eye-co-ordination so it doesn't necessarily mean that you'd be good at sport. Maybe parking a car or shooting a gun though.

Ok, don't tell the Daily Mail I said that last one.[/i]

...AND we're back to square one with the press! :-)
Sun 26/08/12 at 16:42
"possibly impossible"
Alfonse wrote:
pb wrote:
[i]Increasing hand-eye co-ordination.

This. Everyone I know who plays videogames is great at sport[/i]

Sport requires stamina, quick reactions, muscle work from specific muscles as well as hand-eye-co-ordination so it doesn't necessarily mean that you'd be good at sport. Maybe parking a car or shooting a gun though.

Ok, don't tell the Daily Mail I said that last one.
Sun 26/08/12 at 14:15
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pb wrote:
Increasing hand-eye co-ordination.
Revealing stress.
Enjoyment
Entertainment
Social multiplayer elements
Gives you something to talk about with others

Nope, it's a waste of time all right! :)

Maybe this is the sort of thing that the press should be looking at with regard to games, instead of trying to make tenuous links between Call of Duty and serial killers...

Personally, I think "social networking" sites are to blame for more violence and antisocial behaviour than all video games put together. I also tend to think that the majority of them are more of a time drain than gaming, particularly for those addicted to them. I have family members that (sadly) can't buy broccoli without posting a comment...
Sat 25/08/12 at 23:34
Regular
pb wrote:

This. Everyone I know who plays videogames is great at sport
Fri 24/08/12 at 21:14
"possibly impossible"
Revealing stress.
Enjoyment
Entertainment
Social multiplayer elements
Gives you something to talk about with others

Nope, it's a waste of time all right! :)
Fri 24/08/12 at 19:44
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
chasfh wrote:
[i]Although, I have no objection to sitting by a river for an hour or two. Preferably with a beer. And peanuts.

Dry roasted are nice.[/i]

I actually like the coated ones with the chilli flavouring...NICE!
Excellent with a pint of Guinness.

Ah, the hours I've wasted with a bag of chilli peanuts and a pint o' Guinness!

I mean, er, NOT wasted...of course...
Fri 24/08/12 at 19:40
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:
Although, I have no objection to sitting by a river for an hour or two. Preferably with a beer. And peanuts.

Dry roasted are nice.
Fri 24/08/12 at 19:35
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
Well fishing for the most part is sitting on the edge of a dock or boat holding a stick above the water.

Slightly antisocial if you're on your own, which seems to be the way of things a lot of the time for fishing fans...

And quite honestly, I think that going into the pub smelling of fish afterwards is pretty antisocial too.

...And probably a waste of time, as nobody would want to talk to you:-)

Although, I have no objection to sitting by a river for an hour or two. Preferably with a beer. And peanuts.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.