GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PHP 5.3 on VIP Hosting"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/08/12 at 19:13
Regular
Hi there,

I notice that somebody (back in 2009) raised the question as to whether hosting servers would be upgraded to PHP 5.3.

You can see that thread here

The response given was that:

"we are unlikely to upgrade to PHP 5.3 in the near future especially on the free servers... ...The upgrade cycle on the VIP servers is generally quicker as we have a lot fewer customers per box and they are based on more of a standard distribution"

Fair enough.

However, I've just checked the PHP info for the two hosting plans here .

...and the free web-hosting servers are running on 5.3.6 new hotness (and have done since March 2011), yet the VIP servers are running on old and busted 5.2.10????

Two questions:

1. What is the reason for this discrepancy?

2. What is the expected timescale for bringing the 'paid for' service up to the same specification as the 'free' service?

Cheers
Fri 21/09/12 at 11:02
Staff
Not a problem, please note that VIP 9 is scheduled for Monday 24th (next to be done), and if you want to switch before the option is in MyFreeola, just ticket support and ask to be switched and we'll do it manually.
Wed 19/09/12 at 10:51
Regular
Hi there,

Thanks for responding to this. I think I hold two separate accounts (personal and business) on the VIP9 server, so look forward to seeing the option to upgrade.

Thanks again!
Thu 23/08/12 at 09:45
Staff
First server (VIP8) has now been done and next server (VIP6) is due on Wednesday 29th. The server currently still default to 5.2.17 (to minimize site issues) but we can put users on to 5.3.3 or 5.4.6 on request (assuming they are on a server thats been upgraded), and new users will default to 5.3.3.

Once all servers have been upgraded we will add the option to specify the version via the MyFreeola control panel. The current plan (subject to dealing with any minor issues that come up) is to complete that process by the end of September.
Fri 17/08/12 at 14:58
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
No problem,

I'll do my best to remember to update this thread with some information when the updates are done.
Thu 16/08/12 at 23:17
Regular
Thanks for the replies, guys.
Thu 16/08/12 at 09:38
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Hi,

The problem with upgrading PHP is that we don't want to leave existing customers behind if PHP 5.3 or 5.4 are incompatible with their products (CMS's etc) or code.

We have a solution to this, which should be being put in place shortly.

Sit tight.
Thu 16/08/12 at 09:11
"Are you sure?"
Hi wholroyd and welcome to the forums!

Have you seen that the VIP servers are having upgrades this month? It mentions both hardware and software so perhaps PHP will be included with that?

But a staffie will give you a proper answer :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 15/08/12 at 19:30
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Valid questions deserve a valid answer :¬)

Where are you ncrs, eccles and dean5?
Wed 15/08/12 at 19:13
Regular
Hi there,

I notice that somebody (back in 2009) raised the question as to whether hosting servers would be upgraded to PHP 5.3.

You can see that thread here

The response given was that:

"we are unlikely to upgrade to PHP 5.3 in the near future especially on the free servers... ...The upgrade cycle on the VIP servers is generally quicker as we have a lot fewer customers per box and they are based on more of a standard distribution"

Fair enough.

However, I've just checked the PHP info for the two hosting plans here .

...and the free web-hosting servers are running on 5.3.6 new hotness (and have done since March 2011), yet the VIP servers are running on old and busted 5.2.10????

Two questions:

1. What is the reason for this discrepancy?

2. What is the expected timescale for bringing the 'paid for' service up to the same specification as the 'free' service?

Cheers

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.