GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Sega are failing to keep up."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/09/00 at 22:53
Regular
After noticing that people have been winning games again after winning one already, I've decided to have another blatent attempt at winning as its much easier than earning the money to buy the game. (Or is it?)
You probably noticed the title, and have clicked on it, otherwise you wouldn't be reading this, and would be thinking one of three things.
Either
1) Sega aren't failing! They have loads of games coming out at Christmas!
2) Sega are failing. The PS2/X-box/Gamecube is going to kill the Dreamcast.
3) My knob is far too small. (Pointing no fingers)

(I'm really going to win now)

Lets take number one first shall we?

The games coming out at Christmas are absoulutly amazing, the graphics are as good as a lot of games coming out on the PS2. (Anyone who argues agaisnt this has not seen pictures of Silent Scope 2 on Dreamcast and PS2, they are excatly the same) So why is Sega going to fail? Lets come back to that, lets face two now.

The PS2/gamecube/X-Box will not kill Dreamcast, simply because many people have it now, and anyone who has a Dreamcast is very keen to keep it, with the odd couple wanting to sell it to buy a newer machine. I will buy a Dreamcast in the near future, hopefully near Christmas, when all the good games will be out. I am astounded at some of the games on the Dreamcast, and want to buy a lot of them. As long as there are people like me around, the Dreamcast will never die, simply fade away.

Lets skip past three.

So are Sega failing to keep up (I never said die)? Simply because of one word.
Advertising.
Sony flood us with it, and as the main enemies of Resident Evil, thousands of no brainers flock out to buy the PS2 (Not dissing it, just showing the power of advertising).
Nintendo didn't "bother" to adverise with the N64, and they really didn't get far with it. Only Rareware seem to want to adverise on TV, and I can't remember the N64 ads in magazines.
So where does this leave Sega, probably down diarroea creek with only hands to use as paddles, with a leak in the boat.
So. If Sega really want to do something about themselves, let everybody know about the power of the Dreamcast, and how well the games run and play. Because I can assure you, only half of the people in this forum know how powerful it really is.
Mon 25/09/00 at 13:35
Yes, all consoles have their good and bad points, but people are so quick to write off a new console, but with so much choice in the next year, DC owners are the worst culprits because the console will probably be dead and buried when the other three get released, people seem(well on here anyway) more inclined to go and buy and PS2, NGS or Xbox than a DC, which doesnt look good for Sega.
Mon 25/09/00 at 13:22
Regular
Cheers my name's lock n'load because I here in second to answer you. I agree with you on the PS2. There's been a lot of people dissing all the consoles at the moment.
Mon 25/09/00 at 12:41
Lock'and'load, youre point is probably the best- the reason why the Dreamcast will NEVER do as well as the other "big three" is that Sega had lost the trust of the games public because of the Saturn, and people were unsure if it would be worth it to buy a DC. However, their position is recovering, but it wont be enough before it gets snapped back by Sony, nintendo and Microsoft. By the way, the import PS2's that people keep commenting harshly on are inferior consoles compared with the US and European PS2's which has much, much better quality DVD capabilities than their Japanese counterparts. Look to see what Sony have done to modify the PS2 for European gamers, dont snap it down before it even has been released.
Mon 25/09/00 at 12:25
Sony are about to let us all down with the PS2. A friend of mine has just bought an import one and while the games are OK (TTT and Ridge Racer) the DVD player isn't half as good as my £150 unit. I'd buy one for £200, but for £300? No way, never. My DC should satisfy me until the XBox and GameCube.
Sun 24/09/00 at 22:26
Regular
The dreamcast is failing because people can't forgive the past when we had the Saturn or even the master System.
Sun 24/09/00 at 02:14
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I was nearly converted to the Dreamcast (from the PSX no less) a while back, but having been let down by Sega in the past and knowing full well that I will be getting a PS2 next year and X-Box sometime after that, I just cannot see the point in getting one now. I know there are plenty of games about for the DC that I would enjoy, but other consoles have equally enjoyable games, and I think 3 consoles will be enough to keep me going without adding another. If Sega hadn't let me down with it's Sega CD add on and Saturn fiascos, I might never have got a PSX and would have been a DC fanatic today, but they did let me down (Sony haven't) and therefore I am not a DC fanatic. (Oh fickle fate.) By the way, your posting has my vote for Gameaday winner, but seeing as my vote counts for nothing and your chances of winning are at the whim of the Gods at SR, then I wish you luck.
Sat 23/09/00 at 22:53
Regular
After noticing that people have been winning games again after winning one already, I've decided to have another blatent attempt at winning as its much easier than earning the money to buy the game. (Or is it?)
You probably noticed the title, and have clicked on it, otherwise you wouldn't be reading this, and would be thinking one of three things.
Either
1) Sega aren't failing! They have loads of games coming out at Christmas!
2) Sega are failing. The PS2/X-box/Gamecube is going to kill the Dreamcast.
3) My knob is far too small. (Pointing no fingers)

(I'm really going to win now)

Lets take number one first shall we?

The games coming out at Christmas are absoulutly amazing, the graphics are as good as a lot of games coming out on the PS2. (Anyone who argues agaisnt this has not seen pictures of Silent Scope 2 on Dreamcast and PS2, they are excatly the same) So why is Sega going to fail? Lets come back to that, lets face two now.

The PS2/gamecube/X-Box will not kill Dreamcast, simply because many people have it now, and anyone who has a Dreamcast is very keen to keep it, with the odd couple wanting to sell it to buy a newer machine. I will buy a Dreamcast in the near future, hopefully near Christmas, when all the good games will be out. I am astounded at some of the games on the Dreamcast, and want to buy a lot of them. As long as there are people like me around, the Dreamcast will never die, simply fade away.

Lets skip past three.

So are Sega failing to keep up (I never said die)? Simply because of one word.
Advertising.
Sony flood us with it, and as the main enemies of Resident Evil, thousands of no brainers flock out to buy the PS2 (Not dissing it, just showing the power of advertising).
Nintendo didn't "bother" to adverise with the N64, and they really didn't get far with it. Only Rareware seem to want to adverise on TV, and I can't remember the N64 ads in magazines.
So where does this leave Sega, probably down diarroea creek with only hands to use as paddles, with a leak in the boat.
So. If Sega really want to do something about themselves, let everybody know about the power of the Dreamcast, and how well the games run and play. Because I can assure you, only half of the people in this forum know how powerful it really is.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.