GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PlayStation 2... Still looking for the 3rd Place..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/02/02 at 09:35
Regular
I have been a HUGE fan of Sony for some time now, way before the advent of the PlayStation,

Everything in my house is made by Sony! The TV, the Video, and my Walkman. Then came 1995, the dawn of the PlayStation...

My little grey SNES looked so dated back then, and I was on the verge of buying a Saturn when on day, I saw the PlayStation being demonstrated at a fair in London. At that point I know I had to have one, not just because it had Sony on the front so that it would match my home, but because, at the time, it was new...

I purchased my PlayStation on release day with Ridge Racer, Tekken and Johnny Bazookatone, a second pad and memory card. I was happy, in fact, ecstatic... I rushed home, boxed up my SNES and set up my PlayStation... My God!... I was stunned by what I saw on the screen of my TV and told myself "You've made a good decision here!"... It's funny looking back how a 20-year-old bloke could get excited over a little grey box, but hey, there you go!!

Over the next 5 years, I purchased every AAA title there was for the PlayStation, and was quite proud of the fact that up until the summer 2000, I still had the original machine (not one of the re-issues), working perfectly well and still looking good. But finally after 5 years of solid playing and abuse, sometime not being switched off for 3 days in a row, it finally blew up! So I went out and replaced it with one of those cute PSOne's...

Sony had delivered well with the PlayStation, and from that point I was a convert, never looking at my SNES/N64 or Mega Drive again.... It did everything Sony promised and redefined gaming forever. I know longer felt like a geek when it came to talking about games, I was now fashion, I was one of those 20 something gamers from the gaming generation Sony had created with the PlayStation.

In 1998 I started hearing rumours about the next generation PlayStation. I started to follow SCEJ on the internet, slowly collecting all of the press releases and finally the release of the official specs in March 1999. My attention was captured everyday by SCEJ/SCEE soaking up every little piece of information.

Now I don't normally get dragged into the hype of a future console release. I usually wait until I see concrete evidence instead of listening to other gamer’s speculations and reading "bull" in magazines, but because the original PlayStation converted me, I couldn't help it, I was addicted to the hype of what became the PlayStation 2.

Along came January 6th 2000, the day fate enabled my to finally purchase my PS2. I couldn't afford it on release date due to other factors, like having to find somewhere to live, but I waited patiently, being sucked in more and more by the hype, and then, £420 later, I was walking trough the streets of Oxford clutching hold of the scared Blue box, Ridge Racer, TImeSplitters and DOA2...

Within half an hour, I was home, as before, I boxed up my PSOne, and set up my PS2, flicked the switch at the back and stood back and admired the blue and green lights on the front for a while (After spending half an hour trying to decide on horizontal/Vertical and twisting the logo accordingly). It was now time to do what I had bought it for, to play games...

Initially, I was very impressed, Ridge Racer was so fast and clean, although plagued with pop-up and crap handling, I was impressed by this as a launch title. The same went with DOA2, this game was blisteringly fast, and very nice looking. As for TimeSplitters, Goldeneye on the PS2, something I always longed for on the PSOne!! For launch titles, I was satisfied, especially after looking back at the PlayStation and the way it had progressed over 5 years. (Who would have thought that within 5 years PlayStation had gone from the blocky Ridge Racer to the amazing Gran Turisimo 2?) So I had faith in my PS2 and it's future...

I've now had my PS2 just over a year, in that time, I've played several titles, Q3A, ZOE, SSX, GT3, GTA3, Onimusha, Kuri Kuri, Klonoa, XG3, Dynasty Warriors, and some other I can remember off the top of my head, and to be totally honest, there hasn't been a single title, apart from GTA3, that's grabbed my by the short and curlies and got be all excited... To say I'm a little disappointed would be an understatement,

What Sony promised, and what they delivered were two totally different things. This is partially my fault for falling prey to "Hype", something I had never done before, and now something I regret. I fell for words such as "Graphics Synthesiser" and the "Emotion Engine" and what Sony said they would deliver and how they would revolutionize gaming today. How untrue was this? The only "Emotion" my PS2 has generated was the boredom of sequels and the cardiac I'm on the verge of having thinking about shelling out a small fortune for the Broadband adapter and HDD!!

I'll admit, there are some real Killer apps finally arriving on the PS2. Titles such as MGS2, FFX and VF4, but in hind sight, I wish I had waited until now to purchase my PS2, especially that within a year, the price is almost half that of what I had initially paid for it, and there are two more consoles arriving on the scene which, hopefully, will inject some life back in to gaming like there was back in the mid 90's.

The lesson I have learnt from this is to avoid "Hype" and not to get dragged in buy it. Instead of falling for polished marketing and magazine rants, I should have done what I had with the original PlayStation, I should have witnessed it first and listened to other gamers before making my decision. I fell, like a sucker, for Sony's marketing plan on the promise of having my life changed forever and finding that 3rd place, something I'm still looking for, and something I may eventually find with MGS2!

Don't get me wrong, I do love my PS2, and I wouldn't live without it, and I'm still impressed with Sony for coming out of nowhere 7 years ago and dominating the market ever since, a fate no other firm has managed, but I didn't buy it to continue playing PSOne killer apps on, I bought it for the promises Sony made.

Avoid Hype, Witness things first hand, experience these machines for yourself, and base you decision on what you want from a console. Listen to those who have played them and not those who are basing their decision on the same hype I fell for before you part with your hard earned cash!

There's a lot of speculation and arguments in these forums about the new next gen consoles and which one will be better, but most of these assumptions have been made on the same hype I fell for and not based on their "actual" experience. You can only learn this from people who, at least, own one of these machines and not from some guy who had a 30 second blast on one in HMV.

I return now to try to find that 3rd place, that dimension Sony promised its gamers...
Mon 25/02/02 at 08:16
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
funkygamer wrote:
> * funkygamer appears from the shadows, confused, Tyla, posting in Prime?? *

***Get back to the shadows foul beast:-) Tyla reaches for his Cold wet Cod!!***

>I hate to be a drag, but how do sales figures make a great console?

They don't! As far as I'm aware, it's all down to timing...

> Apparently,the Dreamcast had some of the most wonderful, original, and entertaining games of the last few years on it... What happened to it? Hmmm? The media machine focused on the PS2 instead, and what good things might come of it, ignoring the poor little DC until it was too late, then they had the audacity to lament it's demise!!

I'm actually about to purchase a DC especially as they have just made the final one, and at he current prices, who could say no? It had some corking titles and a lot of origonality and was responsible for paving the way for the PS2 (The same as the Saturn did for the PSOne)

>* funkygamer runs off into the distance, like a crazed madman, trying to get as far away as possible from this ticking timebomb of a thread :) *

***Tyla chases with Cold Wet Cod***
Mon 25/02/02 at 08:11
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
RM18 wrote:
> Remember The Bouncer? That was described as using the Emotion Engine. Saying that, I supposed it worked because it reduced me to tears after I realised I'd spent money on it

LOL... Reduced me to tears too, and increased my smmoking whilst waiting for it to load!!:0
Sun 24/02/02 at 16:08
Regular
Afro, you are joking yeh? I mean, sarcasm and stuff, after all, asking about Final Fantasy, which was mentioned in the original post seems fair enough to me, especially as its "tba" in SRs database.

The release date of Final Fantasy 10 is pencilled as july, but nobody has a firm date yet.
Sat 23/02/02 at 16:12
Regular
Remember The Bouncer? That was described as using the Emotion Engine. Saying that, I supposed it worked because it reduced me to tears after I realised I'd spent money on it
Sat 23/02/02 at 16:09
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Cloud Final Fantasy wrote:
> whens final fantasy 10 being released

-----

Don't spam in here. That would be classified as spam.

Check SR to find out when it is out. Check their release dates or something.

Anyway, back to the original post. This is a very good post. Descriptivly written and it makes some good points. And, even though Game Boy sold more really than the PlayStation, you would have to say, that on average the PlayStation sold better.

Nice original post! ;-)
Sat 23/02/02 at 13:11
whens final fantasy 10 being released
Fri 22/02/02 at 19:11
Regular
"699 days!"
Tyla wrote:

Excellent, someone who's actually based his knowledge on
> "real" experience. How do you rate the Cube based on you experience
> with it. I'm debating getting one.

Sorry about the time lag, but I went out. I reviewed it pretty thoroughly at ukreviews, so I'll give you the link to that:

http://special.reserve.co.uk/reviews/review.php?custid=8612
Fri 22/02/02 at 16:37
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
I think Tyla has made some very valid points here. Yes there were some pretty cack games for the PS one but us Videogame fanatics read mags, check out websites etc and make informed decisions about the games we buy. We also do the same about the consoles we play - I have PSone, N64, Dreamcast and PS2 so that I can play the best games.

The problem with being blinkered as a Nintie or whatever is that you end up having to buy whatever games are issued for that console and once you are through with the AAA - you then move to the AA then the A etc. save your money up that you would have spent on the poorer titles and get yourself another console and experience varity. 5 nintie games = a PS2. 2 1/2 = Dreamcast value pack, it opens a whole new gaming world for you.
Fri 22/02/02 at 15:11
"High polygon count"
The comparison of sales figures between PlayStation 1 & 2 and the Gameboy is a non-starter, simply because they don't compare. A handheld will always sell more, because they're cheaper. It's a completely different market to the 'real' consoles.
Fri 22/02/02 at 14:57
* funkygamer appears from the shadows, confused, Tyla, posting in Prime?? *

I hate to be a drag, but how do sales figures make a great console?

Apparently, the Dreamcast had some of the most wonderful, original, and entertaining games of the last few years on it... What happened to it? Hmmm? The media machine focused on the PS2 instead, and what good things might come of it, ignoring the poor little DC until it was too late, then they had the audacity to lament it's demise!!

Anyway, my point is, just because something is a commercial success, that does not mean it is technically, spiritually or morally the best... VHS Vs Betamax anyone, Windows Vs Unix, Pepsi Vs Coke? Which is the 'best'? We each make our own decisions, based on our own tastes. Same thing with consoles dudes.

* funkygamer runs off into the distance, like a crazed madman, trying to get as far away as possible from this ticking timebomb of a thread :) *

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.