GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GameCube Price Drop ???"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/12/02 at 15:00
Regular
Has anybody heard the rumours of a GameCube price drop from $150 in the USA to $100 . If so it would seriously boost sales in the US, after all Microsoft are really pulling out all the stops in the US and are looking to get entrenched in the US market.

Toysrus (USA) were selling an Xbox + controller S + Jet Grind Radio Future + Sega GT + A Xbox Steering Wheel + Pedals for $199, which is a great deal. Nintendo hasnt done many GameCube deals except a $20 -$30 discount on a GameCube when you buy a $50-$60 GameCube game made by Nintendo. Nothing approaching the bargain $45 GameBoyAdvances being sold in KB toys on Thanksgiving, or the Xbox deal.

What Im trying to say is Nintendo has to sell the GameCube this Christmas or Microsoft will destroy them in the USA. Microsoft is playing hardball in the USA, and by next year Piracy will no doubt be one big reason for many to buy the Xbox and PS2 over the GameCube. Ive seen DVD writers being sold for only $150 in the US ($200 with a $50 rebate). If the GameCube doesnt sell this Christmas next year it doesnt have a chance.

However the price cut would give Nintendo a fighting chance in the USA, thats why I believe they will soon drop the price of the GameCube to $100 and GameBoyAdvance to $50. Even if they make a loss, they will regain profits through increased game sales, when Microsoft and Sony will start to really feel the pinch of DVD piracy next year.

Any Comments, How do you think the battle between Nintendo and Microsoft for Second place in the US console market will effect Europe???

Jimmy
Sun 08/12/02 at 15:00
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
Has anybody heard the rumours of a GameCube price drop from $150 in the USA to $100 . If so it would seriously boost sales in the US, after all Microsoft are really pulling out all the stops in the US and are looking to get entrenched in the US market.

Toysrus (USA) were selling an Xbox + controller S + Jet Grind Radio Future + Sega GT + A Xbox Steering Wheel + Pedals for $199, which is a great deal. Nintendo hasnt done many GameCube deals except a $20 -$30 discount on a GameCube when you buy a $50-$60 GameCube game made by Nintendo. Nothing approaching the bargain $45 GameBoyAdvances being sold in KB toys on Thanksgiving, or the Xbox deal.

What Im trying to say is Nintendo has to sell the GameCube this Christmas or Microsoft will destroy them in the USA. Microsoft is playing hardball in the USA, and by next year Piracy will no doubt be one big reason for many to buy the Xbox and PS2 over the GameCube. Ive seen DVD writers being sold for only $150 in the US ($200 with a $50 rebate). If the GameCube doesnt sell this Christmas next year it doesnt have a chance.

However the price cut would give Nintendo a fighting chance in the USA, thats why I believe they will soon drop the price of the GameCube to $100 and GameBoyAdvance to $50. Even if they make a loss, they will regain profits through increased game sales, when Microsoft and Sony will start to really feel the pinch of DVD piracy next year.

Any Comments, How do you think the battle between Nintendo and Microsoft for Second place in the US console market will effect Europe???

Jimmy
Sun 08/12/02 at 15:17
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Ask drunk cow - he's american.
Sun 08/12/02 at 15:20
Regular
Gamecube outsold Xbox in the States in November which is nice to know. Notice Nintendo's sales figures increase cause they release some amazing games, Microsofts increase cause they drop the price of the console and give a load of games away free.

Desperation....
Sun 08/12/02 at 15:23
Regular
"Festivus!"
Tiltawhirl, I never thought you could be so... erm.. Tilta - ish...
Sun 08/12/02 at 15:29
Regular
Ummmmmmmmm
Sun 08/12/02 at 15:36
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
There have been Rumours however that Nintendo wont be able to produce enough GameCubes to meet demand. Sales figures are always unreliable at this time of year, so I cant comment on more GameCubes being sold than Xboxs. The success may also depend on who is buying each machine kids with pocket money or late teens and twenty somethings with cash.

However seeing as the GameCube is less susceptible to Piracy wouldnt it make sense for Nintendo to take Microsofts Strategy i.e. bundle the GameCube with two games for $150. Ideally make these games sports games, eg NFL, or NBA games. After all thats what Americans like, and best of all by next year these gamers will only want the latest sports games (minimising sales damage to similar sequels).

Ild go as far as saying Nintendo could do something similar in the UK bundling a Soccer Game and maybe and extra controller with the GameCube.
Sun 08/12/02 at 16:05
Regular
"I dont like tagline"
This is not really a price drop but i have seen two stores, one of them well known doing a good offer.

One gamecube console
One official controller
One unofficial memory card (only one store added this)
One game of your choice

This only costing £140
Sun 08/12/02 at 16:23
Regular
Ah, Argos.
Sun 08/12/02 at 16:26
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Gamecube outsold Xbox in the States in November which is nice to know.
> Notice Nintendo's sales figures increase cause they release some
> amazing games, Microsofts increase cause they drop the price of the
> console and give a load of games away free.
>
> Desperation....

lol... this is a thread about Nintendo dropping the price of the GC to $100
Sun 08/12/02 at 16:45
Regular
deal I got from Argos

Gamecube
Extra Unofficial Contoller (Logic3 though the catalogue said 4gamers)
Logic 3 4mb Memroy Card (Again supposed to be 4gamers)
Game from the choice of SSBM, Wave Race, Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion
£180 I think, not bad, saved £30 or so.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.