GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"sexist gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/02/02 at 22:50
Regular
has anyone ever played a game and thought "this is strange there is no woman in this." well i was reliving goldeneye and perfect dark on my N64, when i thought this very same thing. So i thought long and hard about woman in games and Only 2 sprang to mind. Who are these u are wondering well they are the characters who are made to look like they are good looking and strong..... Lara croft and Joanna dark!!!
Well i thought this must be strange to woman in games and made to look similar in beauty and cunning.
Isnt this a bit sexist though? It makes woman look like a object!!
Please respond as this is my first ever time on gameaday!
Sat 23/02/02 at 17:19
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Sexist ... but true
Sat 23/02/02 at 17:16
then again this is a mans world

p.s
that might of sounded a bit sexist
Sat 23/02/02 at 17:13
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Well developers design games for guys because the majority of gamers are guys. Also, 1 girl might say shes a gamer, then again, how many girls do you know that play games as much, or more than, you do? Hmm? None? One? Probably the former. And if woman are so annoyed about this then they should play more games. Unite. Hold tournaments. Rebel. Do something, because in this world, you dont just speak, you must DO! D O ! So there. Hmph. :)
Sat 23/02/02 at 17:10
anyone else think anything about sexist gaming
Fri 22/02/02 at 12:13
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Cinnamon wrote:
Most of the male heroes in games are good-looking, muscle-bound, square-jawed beefcakes.... Is this sexist also?

It's false representation and I will be suing. I want to be able to play as ME! But then I'd have trouble making the jumps in Jak and Daxter, I'd get stuck in the ventilation shafts on Metal Gear Solid (not to mention stopping for too many fags along the way), and my spectacles would fly into the dashboard everytime I hit a wall in TOCA Touring Cars.

And considering some of the damage these guys take in RPGs from physical attacks and magical spells I'd probably be better off going with the good-looking, musclebound, square-jawed beefcake.

And if I had a choice of playing Tomb Raider with either a troll from a South London housing estate or Lara Croft, I know who I'd pick, because if I'm going to be seeing that character day in day out until game over I'd prefer something aesthetically pleasing.

Yes it's sexist. No it's not real life.
Fri 22/02/02 at 10:47
Regular
sagey wrote:
> but come on they are made 2 look good looking

And the men (male characters) in games are all ugly as sin are they?
No.
Most of the male heroes in games are good-looking, muscle-bound, square-jawed beefcakes.... Is this sexist also?
Fri 22/02/02 at 09:11
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Whats wrong with being sexy?
Thu 21/02/02 at 23:53
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
sagey wrote:

"...has anyone ever played a game and thought "this is strange there is no woman in this." well i was reliving goldeneye and perfect dark on my N64, when i thought this very same thing...."

Don't know why, but I found that very funny; and to back-up what FantasyMeister said, as long as the gaming world is dominated by male gamers(ok, not "dominated", but you get the picture), then the developers will cater for that gender
Thu 21/02/02 at 23:37
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
Lara is most unrealistic. Jo dark is more realistic (proportion wise)

Also, i don't know what this topic is about.
Thu 21/02/02 at 23:22
but come on they are made 2 look good looking

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.