GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Back to the future.....?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/02/02 at 22:30
Regular
Quoted from a particular topic,

"Oh, aye, space raiders was the best and I still play it on the commodore"

Broadband Internet capabilities are set to launch in Summer 2002 for the X-box, Microsoft's competitor to the mighty Sony and the small Nintendo. But what after? Okay so the scientists and engineers have done a good job(we'll wait to see that) but what after.

What will the form and content of games look like five years from now? Ten years from now? What obstacles or challenges must games overcome in order to achieve their full potential as a medium? What technological or artistic breakthroughs do you forsee in the near future which might fundamentally alter our understanding of what a game is?
For example, plenty of mothers and worried parents don't consider rampaging through a city on a Banshee, crushing citizens to be an eductional or even legal game.

The next generation of game consoles(PS3,Y-BOX, Gameboy advanced with online-capabilities, whatever) promises a dramatic increase in the availability of processing power.(Hmm, whats the bet the Y-BOX is out in 2 years time.) And unbelievably, Microsoft have already revealed their latest hardware add-on, whatever it does.) The processing power of the PC is also expanding rapidly. How will this new processing power be used? What will it allow game designers to do that they have been unable to achieve previously? How might it shift the relations between the games industry and other sectors of the entertainment industry such as Films and cinematic features?

How have improvements in Artificial Intelligence and Artificial Life impacted the game industry? You know, when you shoot a car in GTA3 and it drives away or when a Triad see's you, he knows to shoot at you. What new directions might games take if we had better means of modeling autonomous thought and action? I await to see what happens to the adorable Lara Croft then, he he he.

Will multi-player games displace single-player games? Will on-line games displace stand-alone games? Why or why not?

Given the growing cost of game development, how do we insure innovation, experimentation, and creativity within the electronic games industry? Will we see, in the future, the digital equivalent of The Blair Witch Project or are we doomed to see only Titanics?

How might the introduction of such new or projected technologies as virtual reality visors, body suits, wearable computers, smart appliances, digital television, or nanotechnology impact the games industry?

Now, in America, certain sexual machines are available for the users to feel the action on what they see on the screen, probably 600 miles away in Detroit. A step forward I ask you...

Is it. Or at least to those worried parents. Personally I'm still looking for that one way ticket to the mighty US of A.
Thu 21/02/02 at 22:34
Regular
You could have at least mentioned the Delorean
Thu 21/02/02 at 22:30
""Meth""
Quoted from a particular topic,

"Oh, aye, space raiders was the best and I still play it on the commodore"

Broadband Internet capabilities are set to launch in Summer 2002 for the X-box, Microsoft's competitor to the mighty Sony and the small Nintendo. But what after? Okay so the scientists and engineers have done a good job(we'll wait to see that) but what after.

What will the form and content of games look like five years from now? Ten years from now? What obstacles or challenges must games overcome in order to achieve their full potential as a medium? What technological or artistic breakthroughs do you forsee in the near future which might fundamentally alter our understanding of what a game is?
For example, plenty of mothers and worried parents don't consider rampaging through a city on a Banshee, crushing citizens to be an eductional or even legal game.

The next generation of game consoles(PS3,Y-BOX, Gameboy advanced with online-capabilities, whatever) promises a dramatic increase in the availability of processing power.(Hmm, whats the bet the Y-BOX is out in 2 years time.) And unbelievably, Microsoft have already revealed their latest hardware add-on, whatever it does.) The processing power of the PC is also expanding rapidly. How will this new processing power be used? What will it allow game designers to do that they have been unable to achieve previously? How might it shift the relations between the games industry and other sectors of the entertainment industry such as Films and cinematic features?

How have improvements in Artificial Intelligence and Artificial Life impacted the game industry? You know, when you shoot a car in GTA3 and it drives away or when a Triad see's you, he knows to shoot at you. What new directions might games take if we had better means of modeling autonomous thought and action? I await to see what happens to the adorable Lara Croft then, he he he.

Will multi-player games displace single-player games? Will on-line games displace stand-alone games? Why or why not?

Given the growing cost of game development, how do we insure innovation, experimentation, and creativity within the electronic games industry? Will we see, in the future, the digital equivalent of The Blair Witch Project or are we doomed to see only Titanics?

How might the introduction of such new or projected technologies as virtual reality visors, body suits, wearable computers, smart appliances, digital television, or nanotechnology impact the games industry?

Now, in America, certain sexual machines are available for the users to feel the action on what they see on the screen, probably 600 miles away in Detroit. A step forward I ask you...

Is it. Or at least to those worried parents. Personally I'm still looking for that one way ticket to the mighty US of A.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.