GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What I got up to yesterday..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/09/07 at 08:32
"possibly impossible"
Well, a break from the office is always a good idea, especially if its with the backing of the company. With this in mind, I took up the challenge of hunting the Marsh Fritillary butterfly across some of Devon's more picturesque moor land.

When I say hunting the butterfly, what I actually mean is that I spent the day trudging through boggy moors looking for small webs that the butterfly creates in order to protect the larvae and let it grow. To do this, a group of us stood in a line across the moor and worked our way down to the other end, checking for Devil's Bit Scabious, a plant favored by the butterfly.

Looking under these plants we sometimes found small, thick webs with butterfly larvae in. The idea is to track these via GPS and create a map of how many are on each moor. As the butterfly is endangered across Europe, this is a pretty important task in order to keep an eye on the numbers. The hard part is determining the webs of the catapiller from other webs created by funnel web spiders, who also build around these plants.

Along the way we came across a snake, pheasant and several frogs, not to mention bogs and plenty of cow pats. We also found a nice truck stop to grab a greasy fried breakfast for lunch before braving the weather and heading back out to search the land.

It’s nice to be able do something for the community, even if some think it might be less important than, say, helping old people or painting Schools (two other tasks which the company I work for sponsors). Hopefully next June we’ll be able to go back and count the actual butterflies. This year the weather was against us, so we’ve ended up just counting the webs.

Still, despite getting wet from both the moor and the rain, it was good fun. My legs still ache from stretching over large holes in the ground (the moorland can be quite bumpy) but I feel like I’ve done something worthwhile.
Mon 24/09/07 at 14:31
"nope"
> it grow. To do this, a group of us stood in a line across the
> moor and worked our way down to the other end, checking for
Nothing like a good trampling,

hehe.. sorry a really hurtful pun.

I like spiders. Did you see any harvestmen?
Sun 23/09/07 at 23:13
"possibly impossible"
Hah, no, I think he comes with his owner on all these things. Possibly hindered more than he helped!
Sun 23/09/07 at 15:24
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
Did they bring the dog for something or did he need just need a walk.
Thu 20/09/07 at 21:32
"possibly impossible"
Ha.

There were 7 of us altogether, and a dog. Just enough to cover some of the smaller moorland (the moors tend to be seperated inot smaller squares by firebreaks)
Thu 20/09/07 at 21:27
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
That sounds pretty cool, how many where you?

And yeah, it looks exactly like a normal butterfly.
Thu 20/09/07 at 19:52
"possibly impossible"
Between us we found about 10 webs, which would hold a fair few larvae each. The butterflies only fly between May and July, I think, and we would have been going to spot them in June if the weather was any better, but we had to make do with finding the webs.
Thu 20/09/07 at 17:40
Regular
Nice Peebles

I -swear- I see that butterfly around here all the time.. maybe there's a subtle difference or something, but as far as butterflies go I would say that one that looks very similar to that is the most common butterfly around here.

I was meant to go on a tracking thing a while ago when I was looking at what to do with myself and volunteer work. I think I decided I was too lazy and skipped it.

How many of those Marsh Fritillaries did you see?
Thu 20/09/07 at 08:32
"possibly impossible"
Well, a break from the office is always a good idea, especially if its with the backing of the company. With this in mind, I took up the challenge of hunting the Marsh Fritillary butterfly across some of Devon's more picturesque moor land.

When I say hunting the butterfly, what I actually mean is that I spent the day trudging through boggy moors looking for small webs that the butterfly creates in order to protect the larvae and let it grow. To do this, a group of us stood in a line across the moor and worked our way down to the other end, checking for Devil's Bit Scabious, a plant favored by the butterfly.

Looking under these plants we sometimes found small, thick webs with butterfly larvae in. The idea is to track these via GPS and create a map of how many are on each moor. As the butterfly is endangered across Europe, this is a pretty important task in order to keep an eye on the numbers. The hard part is determining the webs of the catapiller from other webs created by funnel web spiders, who also build around these plants.

Along the way we came across a snake, pheasant and several frogs, not to mention bogs and plenty of cow pats. We also found a nice truck stop to grab a greasy fried breakfast for lunch before braving the weather and heading back out to search the land.

It’s nice to be able do something for the community, even if some think it might be less important than, say, helping old people or painting Schools (two other tasks which the company I work for sponsors). Hopefully next June we’ll be able to go back and count the actual butterflies. This year the weather was against us, so we’ve ended up just counting the webs.

Still, despite getting wet from both the moor and the rain, it was good fun. My legs still ache from stretching over large holes in the ground (the moorland can be quite bumpy) but I feel like I’ve done something worthwhile.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.