GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAMING RULES. (etc. etc) Read Please. Come on. Just once. It's not that long"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/02/02 at 20:52
Regular
Non-gamers.

That word (or two words, depending on how you look at it) brings to me a feeling of annoyance.
Now I don’t hate non-gamers, but it really annoys me that they just don’t understand what it is like to get involved in a really good game.
Anyone with a moaning sister / brother / parent / grandparent will probably be used to shrill little comments in your ear such as ->

“Why do you spend all your time on that thing”
“How can you enjoy something so boring”
“Go and do something more useful instead”
“It’s just flashy lights, blips and pings. How tedious”

And so on. Usually when you are at a crucial point in the game, then being made to rush to save or get off quickly because some Corrie’s on.
And even if you try to teach them how to play or how to enjoy playing a game they just whine and say it is too hard / boring / complicated or because Emmerdale is on .

Maybe if they just understood that hardcore gamers want to be sucked in by a game, not just have a occasional bash at something like ‘casual’ gamers (grr). We look for something that is going to capture our imaginations and make us play on to see, find and do every single thing it has to offer. Not just watch some peoples lives get ruined on our boring, repetitive and generally depressing soaps.

That is what (in my opinion) games and consoles are for. To take us to different worlds, in different situations with interesting people. To be taken on an adventure, a ride, of dreams and fantasy.
Wizards and warriors, secret agents and space men, rivers and ruins, dragons and disasters. This is the stuff we can do, and, oh yes, it’s a thousand times better than real life. This is heaven on a disc.
We can do what we want, whenever we want, with no personal risk (except, occasionally, to your undies), this is the power of modern gaming. Dreams come true. And it’s blummin’ good fun too.
Is that so hard to understand?

And when you finish an epic (a Final Fantasy, say) you get ‘The Feeling’, like you do when you finish a good book. That weird feeling in your stomach that makes you want to talk to someone about what just happened and think back to everything you’ve seen. To get other people’s ideas on everything and things you didn’t think to do. And it’s great, you feel it was worth all your time and money, a great reward for a great game.
Except all you get is “Hurry up, Eastenders is on!” And your heart sinks. How can people be so blind?

Blips and pings? Shove it grandma! Not these days.

LONG LIVE GAMING!

cheers,
FFF
Thu 21/02/02 at 20:52
"period drama"
Non-gamers.

That word (or two words, depending on how you look at it) brings to me a feeling of annoyance.
Now I don’t hate non-gamers, but it really annoys me that they just don’t understand what it is like to get involved in a really good game.
Anyone with a moaning sister / brother / parent / grandparent will probably be used to shrill little comments in your ear such as ->

“Why do you spend all your time on that thing”
“How can you enjoy something so boring”
“Go and do something more useful instead”
“It’s just flashy lights, blips and pings. How tedious”

And so on. Usually when you are at a crucial point in the game, then being made to rush to save or get off quickly because some Corrie’s on.
And even if you try to teach them how to play or how to enjoy playing a game they just whine and say it is too hard / boring / complicated or because Emmerdale is on .

Maybe if they just understood that hardcore gamers want to be sucked in by a game, not just have a occasional bash at something like ‘casual’ gamers (grr). We look for something that is going to capture our imaginations and make us play on to see, find and do every single thing it has to offer. Not just watch some peoples lives get ruined on our boring, repetitive and generally depressing soaps.

That is what (in my opinion) games and consoles are for. To take us to different worlds, in different situations with interesting people. To be taken on an adventure, a ride, of dreams and fantasy.
Wizards and warriors, secret agents and space men, rivers and ruins, dragons and disasters. This is the stuff we can do, and, oh yes, it’s a thousand times better than real life. This is heaven on a disc.
We can do what we want, whenever we want, with no personal risk (except, occasionally, to your undies), this is the power of modern gaming. Dreams come true. And it’s blummin’ good fun too.
Is that so hard to understand?

And when you finish an epic (a Final Fantasy, say) you get ‘The Feeling’, like you do when you finish a good book. That weird feeling in your stomach that makes you want to talk to someone about what just happened and think back to everything you’ve seen. To get other people’s ideas on everything and things you didn’t think to do. And it’s great, you feel it was worth all your time and money, a great reward for a great game.
Except all you get is “Hurry up, Eastenders is on!” And your heart sinks. How can people be so blind?

Blips and pings? Shove it grandma! Not these days.

LONG LIVE GAMING!

cheers,
FFF
Thu 21/02/02 at 21:02
"penguins in hawaii?"
It's amazing how true all of that was, i usually get comments like:
"How can you sit there watching (err...playing but they don't seem to notice) a t.v screen all day"
"That is so boring, it's like watching paint dry"
and the immortal one:
"Have you got square eyes yet?"

It annoys me to think that people (Non-gamers) can acctualy thinbk that games like THPS 3 and GTA 3 are boring. As far as i am concerned, boring is not a part of my gaming vocabulary ( apart from when i talk about games like clayfighter 63 1/3 and virtual chess- not that i actually want to talk about these games!) Non-gamers should realise that we play games because WE want to. It's not up to them whether or not they think that we should play games. They should keep their opinions to themselves and leave the gaming population (99% of normal people) alone.
Thu 21/02/02 at 21:03
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Worst-case scenario - my gran

Now I love my gran, and I wouldnt say anything bad against her, but she is so DENSE when it comes to anything electronic beyond a TV! I try and explain but she wont listen. Comments such as youll die of food poisoning when u play that have become rather annoying so 2moro im taking my PS2 to show her what it does

God i cant wait...and 2 make it better my lil cousins will be their 2

Me : Do u have a PS2
Cous ; no
Me : HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.