GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"xbox.... not worth the effort ;-("

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/02/02 at 19:39
Regular
Today i played an xbox , in toys r us , i had to wait a while to play it , and i say now that it was
NOT worth it !

first of all the controller...

as many have said it isn't very good , and im sticking with that exact statement. It is just too big for the human hand , even my dad thought it was too big (and he has big hands) , the hand grips have no shape to them , they are basically just 2 rounded prongs , with a couple of triggers on the back.

The joysticks are in the wrong place and so are the buttons , your fingers dont go out that far i tell ya' they just dont ! but the sticks do feel quite nice when you do move them, but the controller itself is nothing to compared to the Gamecube one (before someone says "how do you know" i have one ;-))

Next , the console itself...

To be honest it dosent look too bad , it may be a bit on the bulky side , and that bix X jewel does look a bit gobby , but it's ok. It's not the best looking console by any means , but it doesn't look as bad as many claim it too.

The games...

The main part of any console is the games.
Im being totally honest here when i say they are Krap.
First i had a go at project gotham , the cars look ok , but not much difference from GT3. The accelaration on them is so slow , and the cars are slow aswell , i was going down a straight , holding down the accelaration button completely ... ive seen faster vehicles on f-zero on the Gameboy advance for peets sake !

I had a quick go at amped , which i wasn't to impressed with...
The graphics are pretty good , but not ground braking , and also , when i crashed, when the guy went to get up , the game paused slightly while he was half way getting up , only suddenly , but enough to notice , then continued , which i wasn't impressed with. This happens on alot of games on the playstation , but i didn't expect it from the quote " MOST POWERFULL" unquote games console.

Then i had a go at Halo , if this is xbox's AAA title , then Goldeneye (on the n64) is a AAAA. It is no different to goldeneye or perfect dark ! The graphics are ment to be out of this world , which in the cut scenes they are , but during gameplay , they are just over rated, bog standard First person shooter graphics.

basically what i am trying to get accross here , is that xbox sucks ! simple , the control does nothing for the machine or the games , the games aren't exactly the best ever made , and that juddery thing on amped really showed that it is just a horizontal PC !
Maybe it will get better , but at the moment it is no different from any other console , i have yet to see what the gamecube can do (in front of me) which i should be able to do in a week or 2 , (i have the games , the memory card , an extra control and all the other bits and bobs , but no gamecube ;-( )

thanks.

(please dont say that what i said is a load of dogs dollop , coz i HAVE seen it , and it wasn't amazing to say the least.)
Thu 21/02/02 at 19:39
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
Today i played an xbox , in toys r us , i had to wait a while to play it , and i say now that it was
NOT worth it !

as many have said it isn't very good , and im sticking with that exact statement. It is just too big for the human hand , even my dad thought it was too big (and he has big hands) , the hand grips have no shape to them , they are basically just 2 rounded prongs , with a couple of triggers on the back.

The joysticks are in the wrong place and so are the buttons , your fingers dont go out that far i tell ya' they just dont ! but the sticks do feel quite nice when you do move them, but the controller itself is nothing to compared to the Gamecube one (before someone says "how do you know" i have one ;-))

Next , the console itself...

To be honest it dosent look too bad , it may be a bit on the bulky side , and that bix X jewel does look a bit gobby , but it's ok. It's not the best looking console by any means , but it doesn't look as bad as many claim it too.

The games...

The main part of any console is the games.
Im being totally honest here when i say they are Krap.
First i had a go at project gotham , the cars look ok , but not much difference from GT3. The accelaration on them is so slow , and the cars are slow aswell , i was going down a straight , holding down the accelaration button completely ... ive seen faster vehicles on f-zero on the Gameboy advance for peets sake !

I had a quick go at amped , which i wasn't to impressed with...
The graphics are pretty good , but not ground braking , and also , when i crashed, when the guy went to get up , the game paused slightly while he was half way getting up , only suddenly , but enough to notice , then continued , which i wasn't impressed with. This happens on alot of games on the playstation , but i didn't expect it from the quote " MOST POWERFULL" unquote games console.

Then i had a go at Halo , if this is xbox's AAA title , then Goldeneye (on the n64) is a AAAA. It is no different to goldeneye or perfect dark ! The graphics are ment to be out of this world , which in the cut scenes they are , but during gameplay , they are just over rated, bog standard First person shooter graphics.

basically what i am trying to get accross here , is that xbox sucks ! simple , the control does nothing for the machine or the games , the games aren't exactly the best ever made , and that juddery thing on amped really showed that it is just a horizontal PC !
Maybe it will get better , but at the moment it is no different from any other console , i have yet to see what the gamecube can do (in front of me) which i should be able to do in a week or 2 , (i have the games , the memory card , an extra control and all the other bits and bobs , but no gamecube ;-( )

thanks.

(please dont say that what i said is a load of dogs dollop , coz i HAVE seen it , and it wasn't amazing to say the least.)
Thu 21/02/02 at 20:15
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
So basically you're another Kidcube fan whose so confident that his chosen console is so good he feels the need to have to lie about the competition... *yawn* :)
Thu 21/02/02 at 20:44
Regular
"699 days!"
Belldandy wrote:
> So basically you're another Kidcube fan whose so confident that his chosen
> console is so good he feels the need to have to lie about the competition...
> *yawn* :)

Why do you say that? He's allowed his opinion, and writing off one of the good posters on these forums because he doesn't like your console is frankly not what these forums are about. If he hadn't played on it, OK, but obviously he has, so he is saying what he really thinks.

BTW, you spelt 'whose' wrong, it should be who's. Obviously not a typo.
Fri 22/02/02 at 09:08
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Halo isn't the type of game that "Wows!" you from the outset, it's not until you get into the crux of it that you start appreciating it's splendour.
Fri 22/02/02 at 09:22
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Indian-DudeY2K wrote:

as
> many have said it isn't very good , and im sticking with that exact statement.
> It is just too big for the human hand , even my dad thought it was too big (and
> he has big hands) ,

To be honest it dosent look too bad , it may be a bit on
> the bulky side , and that bix X jewel does look a bit gobby , but it's ok. It's
> not the best looking console by any means , but it doesn't look as bad as many
> claim it too.

> project gotham , the cars look ok , but not much difference from GT3. The
> accelaration on them is so slow , and the cars are slow aswell , i was going
> down a straight , holding down the accelaration button completely ... ive seen
> faster vehicles on f-zero on the Gameboy advance for peets sake !

The controller to me isnt big. I have medium sized hands, and I could use the whole controller perfectly reaching all the buttons. I do admit that the first time you hold one, the controller feels massive. But after a few mintues of play it didnt feel big at all.

Project Gotham uses real cars, so to compare them with F-Zero vehicles isnt right. GT3 is slow if you use the standard cars like the Porsche Boxter look a like. And the proper Porsche Boxter in Project Gotham is just as fast. GT3 is probably faster than Prject Gotham as you get 1000BHP cars as well as formula 1 cars.

Also Project Gotham is very different to GT3. GT3 is all about buying cars tuning them up to win races. In Project Gotham you have a car and you just race through 4 recreated real life cities with 200+ tracks.
Fri 22/02/02 at 17:53
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
Belldandy wrote:
> So basically you're another Kidcube fan whose so confident that his chosen
> console is so good he feels the need to have to lie about the competition...
> *yawn* :)

and basically you are abother biased GROWN UP xbox lover , who is so confident that gamecube is kiddy , that he wont even look at the thing :) *yawn .... YAWN*
Fri 22/02/02 at 20:21
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Yeah shut up you fat bell end.
Fri 22/02/02 at 20:28
Regular
"¬_¬"
And a liar, because the Halo demo is video only, not playable. You're just making it all up, you stupid rem. Go back to the censored hovel you crawled from.
Fri 22/02/02 at 20:40
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Indian-DudeY2K wrote:
and basically you are abother
> biased GROWN UP xbox lover , who is so confident that gamecube is kiddy , that
> he wont even look at the thing :) *yawn .... YAWN*

I have looked at the Gamecube, I've followed the import gmaes mag reviews and online features, I've seen Luigi's Manison, Pikmin and Wave Race running, seen the controller and fiddled around with it. So you're wrong there.

Dixons and many other UK retailers are already stating in their promotional material that the Gamecube is aimed at around 8+ age group. If you don't beleive me then go get one of their leaflets from your nearest branch, presuming you can stand to be near an Xbox for several seconds.

YOU orignially started this topic with an almost fictional tale of playing on an Xbox, and you also had the privilege of playing the ONLY Toys R Us game pod with a PLAYABLE HALO DEMO, I think not.

Therefore it is YOU who are not even looking at the Xbox, and are so in love with your precious Kiddycube that you feel the need to lie about the competition.

Now that I come to think of it, why lie if the Gamecube is so ace ?

As for grown up ? 20 Isn't that old, and thats just my age in years, at heart I'm younger, and feel it ! Theres not many people less grown up than me. If you mean that I don't see fun when its right in front of me then you're wrong, I just dont equate fun with brightly coloured cartoon characters, unless they're manga ones :), or Transformers e.t.c :) and basically its the 18-25 market that makes or breaks a console nowadays anyway.
Fri 22/02/02 at 22:31
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Actually, must confess that over the years I've been guilty of buying a game I know balls all about, just because its contained anime style characters. ;-))

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.