GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""You""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/12/02 at 14:26
Regular
Do any of you ever by a game purely because the lead character, or the game itself, reflects you in some way?

It’s an odd thing to say I know. Maybe it happens sub-consciously, or maybe you do it on purpose, but have there ever been times when you have been out and seen a game that just hits you right from the start, and you know you have to have it. Maybe these are the best type of games out there as they appeal to you more than any. Thinking about it, this has happened to me in a 2 different ways. Both completely different.

The General Interest.

This idea, I think, will apply to all who are actually reading this. You buy the game purely for the reason that you like the genre or game that you are about to play. Its simple, common sense even. If you’re into sports then you are going to get the sports game that you like the most, if you like your action you going to pick up Metal Gear and all the rest of them. Same for if you like horror or racing.

You pick the game as that is your over all interest. Best thing about this is though, that everyone has a wide range of interests. I personally like a whole range of different games, them being sports, racing, action, horror mainly. But there are many more types out there, i'm sure your ideal genre differs from mine. But none the less, we all have a wide range of interest in games. What this means is that we are never stuck for a game to want. More often than not, there will be a good game just coming out that will cater for our needs along the lines of one of them. This is a great thing. Never have I been stuck for wanting a game. Whenever I feel the urge to buy one there is always something out there that I would want, and if this is so I would normally get it. What’s even better is that fact that more often than not there are a few different games out there that I would want. This is brilliant for a game, always something new out there to buy, the only problem is to find the money to get them!

This is just the general concept though for 80% of every game that someone is going to buy, and in all fairness it can be put to anything that anyone buys, even the likes of movies follow this theory. If you’re interested, you going to buy it.

However, has this ever come across when buying your game…

After reading many reviews for a game you become interested in it, nothing has changed here. It looks interesting and the reviews seem ok, its just a question of do you really want it or not. These are the type of games that we often buy because we just feel the need to buy the game. Question is, what type of games make you stand up and want to buy right away? What games catch your attention right from the off? And is this the reason why many games come into your collection?

Is it…You?

Every game that is ever made gives everyone that virtual chance to do something that, quite possibly, they would never ever get the chance to do in their lives. They get to control people doing things that have fascinated them all the time, and when picking a game, this might just be the factor that makes the difference between picking that one and this.
Does the game reflect you in any way?

Have any of you actually picked a game for a reason like this? Doesn’t matter if it’s a game that doesn’t always interest you. Maybe the fact that the game just reflects one or two things about you that makes you want it.

Many of us have often dreamt that our personalities or skills were different, using role models to aspire to, to try and act a certain way or do things a certain way like others. A wanting for the aura that someone else has. Sometimes, a game comes out, and gives you all this in one go.

Gaming is about often living a fantasy. Giving you the power to do things, as I said, that you have never been able to do before, so obviously it too gives people the chance to be people they have always wanted to be. Many of us have always wanted to be the smooth character, the strong one who is always right, whose every actions are always 100% correct. People have watched films before because of this, everyone who watches the likes of the Bond films does so with a certain jealousy across their face, as every lad has always wanted to be him. Gaming gives people the chance to do that.

I have picked games myself for this very reason. You read the review of a game and see that its looking very good, but you also notice things about the character, how it reflects you in many ways, whether it be the personality of the character, the things they do, or even the way they look. This often influences are buys, and is often the most important factor to consider when buying a game, and we often do buy a game because of this even if the game is pretty rubbish. Disagree?

How many of us bought games like Star Wars Episode 1 because you could be a Jedi and use the lightsaber, how many bought the F1 games when they weren’t good, but at least you could drive a Mclaren, the examples go on.

It’s quite easy to see, that the games bought by You, are often bought because of "You".
Thu 12/12/02 at 15:24
Well done on another GAD Pro Evo.

Are you the only one that actually wins in here?
Wed 11/12/02 at 13:05
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Hey, congrats PE.

:)
Wed 11/12/02 at 11:21
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Thanks SR.
Tue 10/12/02 at 22:18
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Characters and environments in gaming often make me wonder how it would be like to be make a particular situation into reality, my ambition as a young boy was to go into the army, but that didn't happen - however I still have a keen interest and if you look at my gaming selection you will find titles such as Prisoner of War, Ace Combat 4 and Dropship. I didn't really buy these games on their merit - barely read any reviews or played any demo's all I knew is that they were war games and it's something Ive always wnated to do, so I fulfilled it with gaming.

The likes of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings make you want to be on the same adventure as they were in the film, therefore purchase the game for this very reason. This can also be applied to well known characters such as snake, if tommorow konami decided to put him in a game which was a completly different genre and it was not as good as MGS - people would buy the game simply because he was in it.
Tue 10/12/02 at 22:04
Regular
What the......!?
Tue 10/12/02 at 21:23
Regular
"Max Power"
why do people allways say pop if they want it back up why not.

jamica we are a bobsley team
Tue 10/12/02 at 20:54
Regular
pop
Mon 09/12/02 at 23:50
Regular
Darwock wrote:

>
> It's safe to say I bought Ace Combat 4 because of my inherent desire
> to be a fighter pilot, lol! I'm sure it was the same for everyone who
> bought it.

I had similar aspirations actually. :D

>But on the other hand I didn't buy Vice City because I want
> to be a criminal, I bought it because the series proved itself to be
> fun.

Thats true, though im all sure we all wanted to see the little 'bad boy' inside ourselves didnt we.....didnt we?...b****r, just me then...
Mon 09/12/02 at 20:28
"period drama"
Not really.
If a game's not good, then I won't buy it, regardless of the character(s) involved.
But if I buy a game with good characters and their development that I can relate to or in someway reflect my personality, then I would like the game more because of it.

FFX is a great example of this.
Even though i can't relate directly to the characters, they are so well developed and varied you can understand their thoughts, feelings and emotions - even predict what they are going to say or how they are going to react when you get into the game.
Of course, the voices add an extra dimention to this.
It the characters were bad or unrealistic, then the game would suffer as a whole - being mainly naratively driven.

MGS2 is a strange example. Although Raiden is not that much different to play as than Snake - he's actually funner, more athletic etc. But everyone really got to like Snake in the first game (well, first on PSone) so missed his attitude and charcter for the maority of the game.
Although they play similarly, their charcters are completely different. And, even though the game is cristised (correctly, in my opinion) of being too narrative these sections obviously affected people's opinions - thry saw Raiden's personality and compared it to Snake's. Choosing Snake as thier favorite charcter on the benifits of his actual character even though Raiden is easier to play as.

Some good points raised there.
Made me think - as you can see.
Mon 09/12/02 at 20:03
Nice Post.

I agree and have to say that i have bought a game on both accounts that you covered. Many times have i thought the likes of being able to do certain things in games let me buy the game, often the game has been good, but on other occasions its been a bad choice. But whens its a good choice you know your in for something good.

Once again,like times before. good post.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.