GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just Played An X-Box (Correct Version!)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/02/02 at 16:57
Regular
I went into my local SR store (Chelmsford) and walked calmy over to the surprisingly unpopulated console in all it's display-case glory. I'd played one briefly before, so I knew the controls and just wanted to get a closer look. I had already played Gotham City Racing and Amped, but I gave them another go anyway, along with two other playable demos.

Amped
-----------

Amped is a snowboarding game, with amazing graphics. After loading a quick game with random presses of the "A" button, I was ready, and I began by jumping onto a log and discovering the grind button, which earned me a great deal of points. The point system is similar to Tony Hawk's or Mat Hoffman's, but it looks like the score has been multiplied by ten. I found it a little frantic, with all the buttons (and not having played the console for a few weeks, and a short time at that), and all I could go was jumping, changing stance, grind and one 360 trick. I really couldn't find any other tricks than a 360 spin, so I hope that I've missed something here, because without tricks, this game does not appeal to me. I'll go back in when I can be bothered to move off my a'se and re-activate my cerebrum and try to find out some tricks.

Fusion Frenzy
-------------------

I went onto this game not really knowing what to expect, but I easily picked up the concept. You control a vehicle of one of four colours, and you must push your opponents (which I assume can be multiplayer at release) off of the pendelum that you are situated on. The level in question was an ice covered level, and when you or an opponent are pushed off, they respawn in the middle of the penelum, and cause an effect to the other players if they get in the way. In this level, they are frozen for 5 seconds, immobilising them and disabling defence of any sort. The winner is the player with the most pushes in a set time limit, which I didn't notice (one or two minutes, it must have been). I got 27. I can only guess the the other levels are the same, only different locations with different dangers/obstacles.

Some racing game (:D)
---------------------------

Curse it - I can't remember the bloody name! Oh well! When I got into this game, I nearly paced back into the service desk in amazement. Watching a katamarang sift through the water was an effect that has to be seen to be believed. The water effects were the best I have yet to see on any console. At first glance, you would think that you were watching a film (a la Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec). I was expecting it to be a peaceful game, but then I see a cross hair in the midst of the screen - this is a shooting/racing game! It's tres difficile (very difficult for the uneducated oafs!) to know which way you're going, so I just followed the others, and however hard I tried, not one little bit of their health deteriorated. I was disappointed with this game, but I wasn't expecting much in the first place!

Gotham City Racing
------------------------

The first thing you will notice is the incredibly close resemblance to Metrolopolis Street Racer. From the terrible steering to the cheesy radio tunes, this game has basically grabbed MSR and leeched it for all it's worth! It can forgiven that it was developed by the same company - Bizzare Creations, so this is expected. We are introduced to the same Kudos system that we have all come to either love or loathe, pending your preference. It's interesting to see how the control system differs from the Dreamcast and the Box. It's pretty good, but only if you don't own MSR on the Dreamcast.

I also watched a Halo movie, and I was surprised how much it looked like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Have I spotted something, or am I just living under a bloody rock here? Overall, I was thoroughly impressed again, fter playing it more in-depth and I stand by me sentiment that the controller is not the ogre that everyone makes it out to be.

Well, thanks for reading (if you did :D)
Shaneo.
Thu 21/02/02 at 16:57
I went into my local SR store (Chelmsford) and walked calmy over to the surprisingly unpopulated console in all it's display-case glory. I'd played one briefly before, so I knew the controls and just wanted to get a closer look. I had already played Gotham City Racing and Amped, but I gave them another go anyway, along with two other playable demos.

Amped
-----------

Amped is a snowboarding game, with amazing graphics. After loading a quick game with random presses of the "A" button, I was ready, and I began by jumping onto a log and discovering the grind button, which earned me a great deal of points. The point system is similar to Tony Hawk's or Mat Hoffman's, but it looks like the score has been multiplied by ten. I found it a little frantic, with all the buttons (and not having played the console for a few weeks, and a short time at that), and all I could go was jumping, changing stance, grind and one 360 trick. I really couldn't find any other tricks than a 360 spin, so I hope that I've missed something here, because without tricks, this game does not appeal to me. I'll go back in when I can be bothered to move off my a'se and re-activate my cerebrum and try to find out some tricks.

Fusion Frenzy
-------------------

I went onto this game not really knowing what to expect, but I easily picked up the concept. You control a vehicle of one of four colours, and you must push your opponents (which I assume can be multiplayer at release) off of the pendelum that you are situated on. The level in question was an ice covered level, and when you or an opponent are pushed off, they respawn in the middle of the penelum, and cause an effect to the other players if they get in the way. In this level, they are frozen for 5 seconds, immobilising them and disabling defence of any sort. The winner is the player with the most pushes in a set time limit, which I didn't notice (one or two minutes, it must have been). I got 27. I can only guess the the other levels are the same, only different locations with different dangers/obstacles.

Some racing game (:D)
---------------------------

Curse it - I can't remember the bloody name! Oh well! When I got into this game, I nearly paced back into the service desk in amazement. Watching a katamarang sift through the water was an effect that has to be seen to be believed. The water effects were the best I have yet to see on any console. At first glance, you would think that you were watching a film (a la Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec). I was expecting it to be a peaceful game, but then I see a cross hair in the midst of the screen - this is a shooting/racing game! It's tres difficile (very difficult for the uneducated oafs!) to know which way you're going, so I just followed the others, and however hard I tried, not one little bit of their health deteriorated. I was disappointed with this game, but I wasn't expecting much in the first place!

Gotham City Racing
------------------------

The first thing you will notice is the incredibly close resemblance to Metrolopolis Street Racer. From the terrible steering to the cheesy radio tunes, this game has basically grabbed MSR and leeched it for all it's worth! It can forgiven that it was developed by the same company - Bizzare Creations, so this is expected. We are introduced to the same Kudos system that we have all come to either love or loathe, pending your preference. It's interesting to see how the control system differs from the Dreamcast and the Box. It's pretty good, but only if you don't own MSR on the Dreamcast.

I also watched a Halo movie, and I was surprised how much it looked like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Have I spotted something, or am I just living under a bloody rock here? Overall, I was thoroughly impressed again, fter playing it more in-depth and I stand by me sentiment that the controller is not the ogre that everyone makes it out to be.

Well, thanks for reading (if you did :D)
Shaneo.
Thu 21/02/02 at 17:04
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Thats better
But I still dont like Xbox
Or Microsoft
So there
Thu 21/02/02 at 17:14
Regular
I only played the Project Gotham Raing game for a minute or two and got totally bored.

Maybe I should have given it a longer before I came up with an opinion, but my opinion is that the X-box sucks. The Price sucks, the size of the console sucks, and all the launch games bar Halo suck :P
Thu 21/02/02 at 17:15
Sigh, have you even actually played one? If so, then fair enough, but I get the impression that you haven't. If you haven't, shame on you for being so ignorant. What do you have against Microsoft? Ok, I know I'll probably get some references of Bill Gates from other users, but what do you honestly dislike about them? Remember, without them, we wouldn't have what we have a lot of what we have today.
Thu 21/02/02 at 17:18
That was directed at Fuzzy, by the way, not Ortega :D
Thu 21/02/02 at 17:27
Regular
Who said I had anything against Microsoft?

I'm not that stupid. Why would I deny myself the opportunity to purchase somthin just becasue it is made by another company?

I am not loyal to nay other company, I have a PS2 and have Gamecube on Order. I was going to buy a X-box until I played on one. The price is too extreme considering it is the same price in Dollars. Now compare this with the PS2 price in Dollars. We in England can get the PS2 for less than what the Americans are paying. Wheras Microsoft are charging us about £90 more.

I Have nothing against Microsoft, I just dont intend on buying the console at launch. Maybe when it drops in price, but not at £300.
Thu 21/02/02 at 17:27
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Shaneo..i dunno if u were talking to me or the other guy but i have played an xbox and its all joe average stuff

and i havent really got a reason for disliking bill gates or microsoft...jealousy perhaps? or maybe because he cut the charities money thing he does this year...no-one knows.
Thu 21/02/02 at 17:28
Regular
oooops. I posted that witout reading you 2nd post...
Thu 21/02/02 at 17:30
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
ill hang my head in shame for my aimless rejection of a prosperous company... :(
Thu 21/02/02 at 17:34
Fuzzy wrote:
and i havent really got a reason for
> disliking bill gates or microsoft...jealousy perhaps? or maybe because he cut
> the charities money thing he does this year...no-one knows.

Meh, well that's logical...Yes, I was referring to you about that. I don't idolise Bill Gates, but I think that he deserves all the credit he gets, but not the money. Could anyone really need that much money? If he's giving a massive chunk to charities, then I wholeheartedly understand.

Ortega, I wasn't talking to you, it was that Fuzzy guy :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.